Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

$2000 you've got to be kidding

Views : 712

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 03:04   #1
zombies=fun

Default $2000 you've got to be kidding

so ever since i bought my 89' 740 GL my car has felt like it lunges every time it shifts gears. when i bought it i thought nothing of it but it started raining a few days ago and the roads are a bit wet.... so since my car lunges every time (the worst is from 1st to 2nd) so when im stoped at a light or sign awaiting my chance to make a left turn and then proceed to go. the transmission shifts about half way through the turn and when it does it lunges and causes the back tires to slip swinging out my back end as i start to drift around a corner. now drifting is fun (for me at least only when im alone and there is no traffic and on my friends property) but my cars rear end swings out in the worst time possible. During heavy traffic.....
So now im pretty fed up with the way the tranny behaves.... i took it to a shop and they wanted $2000 to rebuild it...... (by the way its an Automatic) So this got me wondering. Is this really worth it? i personally prefer manuals to automatics and was looking into putting a M46 or preferably a M47. but i dont know if the bellhousing from the engine to the AW-70(?) will fit to either one of the 2 transmissions. i know it will most likely cost about the same to do the switch but i rather spend $2000 to have more control with my car.

thanks for the help
zombies=fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 21:44   #2
MTerry
Bored Member

Default $2000

The bellhousings are different between manuals and automatics since the clutch actuator arm comes out of the side of the bellhousing. Click on my other posts and you can see my trials and tribulations replacing an AW-71 with an M47. If you know what you're doing, it's not a hard job, and if you discount the 7 1/2 months without the car it only cost about $400 with scrap yard parts. It's nice having three cars so you can do things like this. But the transmission change itself only took two weekends. The rest of the time was trying to figure out what I did wrong.
Gloria - '93 244 in Ruby Red Metallic
Sandy Blu - '07 C70, Celestial Blue
MTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 01:21   #3
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

foggyjames on here will ship you an m90 for $1000
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 17:51   #4
zombies=fun

well lucky me the local pick and pull just right down the road from me has a few 940's or at least i think i remember seeing a few last time that i went in to swipe a mirror... so what would be the advantage then of using a M90? and if i swipe the bell housing off the 940 will it fit to my 740? i know next to nothing about the 940's. so all the help is appreciated. : )
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:55   #5
zombies=fun

but it looks like ill be hitting up the junk yards soon... the transmission fluid leak is getting worse.... : /