Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear main seal replacement B20B

Views : 1429

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2016, 03:44   #1
lelshaddai

Default Rear main seal replacement B20B

I received the lower gasket set and it has felt seals for the front and rear main. The engine has rubber seals right now. Are the felt seals good enough for this. I do not want to pull the engine again from leaking.

lelshaddai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 05:48   #2
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

No, the felts won't fit and are not good. Buy rubber ones. Why use the bad 8fcthe good one is available?
Regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 05:50   #3
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelshaddai View Post
I received the lower gasket set and it has felt seals for the front and rear main. The engine has rubber seals right now. Are the felt seals good enough for this. I do not want to pull the engine again from leaking.

I think the general consensus is the neoprene(rubber) seals are the better fit. However im sure someone will be along to say they prefer the felt seal.
Both types still need careful alignment, but the neoprene has a lip seal so 'not so' critical.
However as you have the neoprene you cant go back to felt as the cover has been machined to accept the later seal.
You will need to purchase both front and rear seals
HTH
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 12:13   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

You don't need to disturb the seal holder and hopefully that is aligned correctly. The old seal should hook out easily but being so big the new one needs care when fitting. Tap in square with a block of wood. Some rubber lube on the seal a good idea. There is a special stuff for it but clean oil is fine. A small tear in the seal lip will have you doing the job again very quickly.
As mentioned previously I note your rusty spigot/pilot bearing. The new one is likely a sealed unit but you can still use the cover plate and clip. Old bearing might be a pig to remove so good luck with that. A slide hammer usually works.
Is your front seal felt or a lip seal? As said, they aren't interchangeable in the same cover.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 13:12   #5
lelshaddai

The front and rear are both rubber. I am trying to find a good source to purchase just the seals. All I can find are kits. I have the cover gaskets already. I have a new pilot bearing.
lelshaddai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 13:54   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Try Mike Dudek at http://www.irollmotors.com/
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 17:49   #7
tdz840
VOC Member

To remove the nose piece bearing get a tight fitting dowel ( if necessary using maskung tape to make tight) then fill the centre hole with a thickish grease. Good **** with the hammer against the dowel will force the bearing out hnder pressure.
May take several goes
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 20:24   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

lelshaddi;

It's important to replace the old seal with the same new seal, because that is what the housing was cut for...and I see numbers on seal...so I'd cal a bearing supplier and give them the number and ask if they can supply.

Dittos on replacing Pilot bearing that is showing rust (just for yucks, stick your finger into it and turn it and see what it feels like, if you need convincing...)! Sliding hammer or hydraulic push from behind will remove it pronto.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 04:24   #9
Austinvolvo

With regard to pilot bearing removal: The hydraulic method of removal that Russ points out can also be done with a dowel and wet tissue.

dean
Austinvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote