Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bottom ball joints

Views : 554

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 21:28   #1
jonesie

Default Bottom ball joints

I found the cover of one of my bottom ball joints is starting to fail so I went my local motor factors for a replacement. He sold me a stand alone ball joint and said it attaches with a circlip.

I cant seem to see how the old one comes off and I don't want to start butchering it as a whole wishbone looks a lot. Im not sure what to do.

I have found a guide on here detailing that replacing the covers is the best option so I might take this back and get some of them.

Any advice guys?
jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 21:48   #2
phil_r

Oddly enough I had one of those fitted by a previous owner to my car, it was moving around as you can see in the photo below. Mot tester said he could of welded it to stop the movement, however I just took the wishbone of my old car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151009_181940.jpg (187.4 KB, 70 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to phil_r For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 22:38   #3
jonesie

definitely not fitting that then. It coming loose is something I imagined happening. Especially is corrosion got to the circlip.

Taking it back tomorrow.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 22:41   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Take it back and get a refund. The last thing you should be doing is fitting a new complete ball joint to the old wishbone. They are pressed in originally and not a DIY job at all. You either need a new wishbone or a new rubber boot to fit your existing ball joint, depending on the nature of the problem.

I fitted new boots to mine sometime ago, a bit fiddly, but doable.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 16:59   #5
phil_r

Have a look on this thread if you haven't seen it http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206082.

I think I bought some boots from http://www.balljointboots.co.uk/ but can't find the email receipt to tell you which ones I bought.

If there's play in the ball joint when you take it off you had might as well replace the wishbone. Unless you know someone handy with a press and can get hold of the right press in ball joint with no circlips.
The Following User Says Thank You to phil_r For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 12:41   #6
jonesie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Take it back and get a refund. The last thing you should be doing is fitting a new complete ball joint to the old wishbone. They are pressed in originally and not a DIY job at all. You either need a new wishbone or a new rubber boot to fit your existing ball joint, depending on the nature of the problem.

I fitted new boots to mine sometime ago, a bit fiddly, but doable.
certainly don't want to be trying to force it out myself then, which I did consider. A local garage can press them out apparently but I just don't trust it plus the wishbones are £95 each! simply isn't worth damaging them.

Thanks for advice guys I have now taken it back and ordered a kit of rubber boots with clips. I will fit a set and report back. I should even have some left to offer.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 22:19   #7
cbburtraw

I replaced a LBJ on mine a couple weeks ago no problem. I borrowed a press tool from the auto parts shop (the stores here will sell the kit to you and then refund you when you return it, pretty neat).

It's tough on your back to do without a bench or vise, and using a hydraulic press would be better, but since you already got a new ball joint, might as well replace the whole thing IMHO.

You've already gone through the trouble of removing the A arm, might as well finish the job.
cbburtraw is offline   Reply With Quote