Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Different Power Racks - 940 ?

Views : 1755

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2016, 19:17   #1
ralnavman
VOC Member

Default Different Power Racks - 940 ?

My garage has told me today that my rack has blown and needs replacing. Looking on ECP site they list 2 different length ones.......does anyone know how/where the differences apply? Mine is a 97MY 2.3lpt. Don't know which one I have so I do not know whether it is simply TRW/CAM/?? which dictate the length.
Grateful for any help please
ralnavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 20:36   #2
Chooch84
940 Noob

Hi,

Might be worth having a read of this:
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Fro...RodReplacement

and this:
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Ste...Identification

16 BMW 330e
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 21:10   #3
ralnavman
VOC Member

Hi Chooch84, yea, thanks for that, I had actually seen your post before which led me to the faq but my problem is that Euro Car list 2 different refurbed Remey racks and apart from the price, the difference is rack length which I cannot relate to any of the original racks.. thanks though. It appears that you may have the same vehicle as mine?
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 21:17   #4
Chooch84
940 Noob

I've got a 945 2.3LPT, It's got the CAM tie rods. I had to take a guess at which particular variant it was, I only figured it was Cam/TRW by process of elimination. As it states in the FAQ's The ZF have a disc thing on the tie rods, and the koyo have their brand printed on the gators. Only other thing you could do is loosen off a tie rod (at the risk of messing up the tracking) and measure the thread... :-S

Edit:
You can check without affecting the tracking, as the ball joint should spin freely!

16 BMW 330e

Last edited by Chooch84; Jun 14th, 2016 at 21:34. Reason: Made a BOOBOO
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 21:39   #5
ralnavman
VOC Member

Not worried about messing the tracking as my garage man says that the gaiters are full of oil and likely to have blown the seals so unusable. So you say about measuring the thread.....do you believe that the length difference is only in the tie rods? Although I'm not sure that will still help me knowing which replacement rack to get, although I'm not familiar with Remey
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 22:18   #6
Chooch84
940 Noob

AFAIK the main difference is the tie rods. I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that the CAM rack is based upon the TRW, or that might be the other way around. I'll see if I can find that snippet of text.

16 BMW 330e
The Following User Says Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 00:04   #7
Chooch84
940 Noob

I can't fully remember where I got the above information from... I may have put 2 and 2 together from looking at links such as:
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...-rack/1047956/

I'll keep looking.

16 BMW 330e
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 11:30   #8
Chooch84
940 Noob

Doing some more research I've had a look and I've kinda got an idea of what might be going on by looking at another forum here's a quote from TB's;

"After further searching and attempting to buy tie rods from different locations, it seems that Volvo put different racks on some 95 and 96 cars that require the use of a 210mm inner tie rod. TRW and CAM racks have a 270-280mm tie rod. The short ones are quite hard to come by and even Volvo couldn't come up with an answer for me on this subject. Ultimately, I found a set on closeout from an oddball import parts place that seem like they should do the trick. Just figured I'd update in case someone else runs across this issue."

So after some maths...
210mm(tie rods) x 2 = 420mm + 1249mm (rack length) = 1669mm
270mm(tie rods) x 2 = 540mm + 1125mm (rack length) = 1665mm CAM/TRW

I hope this helps narrow down what you should be looking out for?!?!

16 BMW 330e

Last edited by Chooch84; Jun 15th, 2016 at 11:33.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 18:42   #9
ralnavman
VOC Member

Default Steering Rack Done

Hi Chooch84,
thank you for all your help with identifying the rack. In the end, I had to take a flyer as my rack was apparently very bad, oil coming out everywhere. So I ordered the Euro CParts one which my garage successfully fitted! The Remey (don't know too much about their quality although I have seen them featured in a couple of car mags) was the longest of the two. Good bit was that by the time I bought thru Quidco and applied the 20% offer code, the rack cost just over a £100 which really wasn't that bad. Fortunately my garage also did a great job (Kings of Westbury, cannot recommend them enough) so all in all not too bad a experience. I seem to remember that I had to change the rack on my 745 when it got to 120,000 miles so I guess it was to be expected. Worth doing, love the 945!
Thanks everyone
The Following User Says Thank You to ralnavman For This Useful Post:

Tags
length, power, rack, steering