Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake Pads/Disc costs

Views : 7167

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2016, 16:16   #1
GordyC30

Default Brake Pads/Disc costs

G'day everyone.

I have a 2011 C30 R-Design which is my first VOLVO after moving from a series of Toyota Celica and RAV4 cars.

I do love the C30 but time has come to change the brake pads and possibly the discs and the prices I am hearing seem a tad high.

What should I expect a fair price to be for a Front and rear pad change and if need be, the discs as well?

I have spoken to a couple of VOLVO main dealers and prices have varied quite considerably. If front and rear pads/discs were done the top price quote was nearly £1000 and the lowest just over £700.

Or... Would I save by going to a trusted independent garage and having them order in VOLVO genuine parts or aftermarket ones?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Happy motoring.

Gordy.
GordyC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2016, 17:00   #2
paddyred
Master Member

Just get some good quality aftermarket parts and depending on how you feel just do it yourself. Its a really simple job to do and the only thing you can do wrong is not put the bolts back in. I pay about £30 a disc from a local parts supplier and £40 per axle for a good quality set of pads. Just ensure you get the ones with the fabric backing and you will be fine. Ive had mine on for 12,000 miles now and have had no issues with squealing, warped discs etc. Just give them a good load of copper grease on the back of the pad and you will have no issues. Theres pleanty of how to's on here for brake pad changes. All in for pads, discs all round and a pot of copper grease it will set you back £200. It also lets you know you've done it properly. I have no trust in garrages. Last time I used one I found a caliper hanging hook attached to my coil in the wheel bay when I got home. Always wanted to have a tyre blow out on me....

Last edited by paddyred; Jun 24th, 2016 at 17:04.
paddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2016, 17:08   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

I bought ATE discs and pads. They make Volvo brakes and they were about £160 total for front and rear.
Old Jun 24th, 2016, 17:10   #4
kgthomas

Only thing to remember about DIY is nowadays you will have to wind back the rear callipers and this will require a brake wind back tool. Not overly expensive I think I paid less than £25 for a set which does multiple car brands. When you have it out take the sliders out of the carriers and clean them up and use red grease to grease them again.
kgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 05:44   #5
GordyC30

Thanks for the replies.., Don't think I could trust myself with a DIY job unfortunately. My skills lie in other areas not associated with cars. Definitely looks like a big money making thing for a dealer... Not clever at all.
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 09:16   #6
MacV50
Master Member

My local garage quoted me £230 for genuine Volvo discs and pads on the front.

Do you really need? When I had my car serviced at 37.5k the dealer said I needed front pads. I then had tyres fitted and they said the same but checking the pads when I switched to my winter tyres showed loads of life left. A scam I think relying on the fact that most owners wouldn't check.

The car is now at 63k on the original discs and pads and they still have plenty of life left in them!
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 11:04   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgthomas View Post
Only thing to remember about DIY is nowadays you will have to wind back the rear callipers and this will require a brake wind back tool. Not overly expensive I think I paid less than £25 for a set which does multiple car brands. When you have it out take the sliders out of the carriers and clean them up and use red grease to grease them again.
Thought you can just use a G/C clamp?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 11:41   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
You have no chance if your piston looks anything like this.
You'll probably knacker the piston mechanism and the clamp.

I bought one of these.
For £15, it will deal with pretty much any piston you're going to come across including left handed threads.

Old Jun 25th, 2016, 17:47   #9
kgthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Nope they wind out to adjust the handbrakes up automatically. Not like the old days when you could just use the old pads to push the piston back by pulling on the caliber.
kgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 16:54   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
x
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgthomas View Post
x
Alright thanks for the advice! I shall buy one now!

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, c30, costs, discs, pads