Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 Boost cut off!

Views : 7204

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 09:12   #41
Alex121
Premier Member

Thought I'd update this as I've finally got to the end of this annoying problem and I could only find one other thread with this issue, which had no solution.

After replacing most of the sensors that VIDA pointed too and doing numerous troubleshooting with Ashok via email, he stripped some of the sensors (ICV, MAP and VVT solenoid) off his T4 and let me borrow them.

I ran it all last week without any problems, given I was getting this issue daily on my sensors, one of his 3 sensors had fixed it.

We thought it was most likely the ICV, so yesterday I swapped his one back out and put mine in, 10 minutes into my journey this morning it's limping again.

Will replace it and update if the problem comes back but it's pretty conclusive now that the idle control valve was the problem

My cars done this on and off since I got it (4 years ago) and has got progressively worse, so I'm dead chuffed!
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alex121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 10:13   #42
Dazza007
Dazza007

Ive got a P1, every now an then I get a similar problem. If I put my foot down in 3rd an 4th goin up the Rock Ferry bypass the engine completely loses power around the 3-4000 rev mark. It does this once, but at almost the same point on that road. Ive checked codes an get a P102 error. I checked my voltages from the MAF and Rufe says their lower limit is 2.2g/s but mine hovers around the 1.6g/s an occasionally drops to 0g/s for a split second. Tried another MAF but exactly same issue and readings. The only thing I see here is my engines boost went up to 1.7bar the other day, looking af this thread thats too much right? Torque says my bhp is 170 and 220nm torque so I am down on power. New Walbro fuel pump. Plugs, air filter, fpr. Anyone point me in the right direction here. My engine rings got replace at 83k an its done 130k now

Dax
Dazza007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 10:29   #43
Alex121
Premier Member

Just some info that may help with troubleshooting....

I replaced the MAF on mine after troubleshooting quite a lot and it made no difference.

I replaced my idle control valve with a 2 week old one from a friend and that sorted it - I thought! Then a few weeks later it happened again.

What it actually turned out to be was the front lambda sensor beginning to go.

I plugged it in ViDA and did a live PWM reading of the front lambda sensor. It should be pretty much in sync with the rear sensor (used as a CAT check) and should increase with the throttle being held - This wasn't happening on mine - See the video I shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZdhheGWj8

I replaced the lambda sensor, reset the fuel trims (a must) and problem solved. MPG went up quite a bit as by this point it had pretty much completely failed and the front lambda sensor helps with the engine mix.

I do have a spare MAF now but unfortunately I'm pretty sure the P1 uses a different sensor to the P2. I would check your lambda sensor first if you can get the readings
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 11:49   #44
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza007 View Post
Ive got a P1, every now an then I get a similar problem. If I put my foot down in 3rd an 4th goin up the Rock Ferry bypass the engine completely loses power around the 3-4000 rev mark. It does this once, but at almost the same point on that road. Ive checked codes an get a P102 error. I checked my voltages from the MAF and Rufe says their lower limit is 2.2g/s but mine hovers around the 1.6g/s an occasionally drops to 0g/s for a split second. Tried another MAF but exactly same issue and readings. The only thing I see here is my engines boost went up to 1.7bar the other day, looking af this thread thats too much right? Torque says my bhp is 170 and 220nm torque so I am down on power. New Walbro fuel pump. Plugs, air filter, fpr. Anyone point me in the right direction here. My engine rings got replace at 83k an its done 130k now

Dax
If 2 known working MAFs have erratic figures, you have an air/boost leak not a MAF fault.

1.7 bar of boost is highly unlikely so be careful how you use and interpret Torque.
That was most likely the MAP reading.

Once again when interpreting Torque, don't think for one moment you'll get accurate power and torque readings so for problem solving, ignore them. In fact ignore them regardless. For accuracy, treat yourself to a dyno run.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 15:55   #45
960kg
Premier Member

^^^ as above Torque app is not to be relied upon for these accurately needed figures.

Sensors for P1 boost calculations is in the pic:

Nothing else affects calculation of boost pressure.

It is also never talked about but the rear O2 sensor not only reads the cat. but is necessary for good performance and final fuel trim.

Both should be replaced at the same time as they wear at the same rate otherwise you only gets the results of the weakest link!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boost Control.jpg (62.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg O2 Readings.jpg (43.9 KB, 10 views)

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Jun 16th, 2016 at 16:03.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 18:48   #46
tommy t4
Premier Member

Out of curiousty as mine has one, does yours have a MAP sensor?
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 19:54   #47
V40T4R

@Alex121: how do you reset fuel trims?
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 21:13   #48
tommy t4
Premier Member

Should have read early posts lol must have missed that,Keith right again!!
Old Jun 17th, 2016, 14:34   #49
Alex121
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40T4R View Post
@Alex121: how do you reset fuel trims?
It's one of the parameters you can change/reset when you click in the 'Doagnostics' then 'Vehicle communication' tab in ViDA.

You should do this after every sensor/hardware change really as T4's are extremely fussy.

Last edited by Alex121; Jun 17th, 2016 at 14:36.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 22:25   #50
V40T4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex121 View Post
It's one of the parameters you can change/reset when you click in the 'Doagnostics' then 'Vehicle communication' tab in ViDA.

You should do this after every sensor/hardware change really as T4's are extremely fussy.
Needing a bit help here...so I believe selecting the ECM module, LTFT parameters should appear in one of the four tabs but can't....the tab "Programmed values" is grayed, is this normal? My VIDA version is 2014B!
Thanks for your input!