Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Collected the car today

Views : 22801

Replies : 303

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2016, 14:50   #101
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
It is a difficult one because 'it is only a door'.When I say this I am not lessening the fault,because in my mind the paint difference is totally and wholly unacceptable and not an ''inevitable variance in the manufacturing process''. You have a right to 'enjoyment' of the car, and I doubt you will obtain this 'enjoyment' having a door a different shade to the rest of the vehicle, and I doubt a bit of 'cash back' to remedy things would be acceptable to you either. Probably neither would a repair, which would be the first thing offered. It wouldn't to me.Your car should have a satisfactory appearance and finish, especially at the price level,yours does not. You could perhaps allow a repair on the car, whilst at the same time there must be a mutually agreed clause that your right to reject is not lost after the statutory time limits set out, but instead preserved. In other words agree a time extension. I would probably go the rejection route, or rather ask for it to be exchanged. There is a bit of a difference as the latter (an exchange/replacement) can be done without admission that a fault exists, and in full and final settlement.

All the best with it.
Many thanks for your good advice.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 15:01   #102
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Many thanks for your good advice.
As far as I am aware as well, when you have a repair done, the 'time clock' for the amount of days left of your right of rejection is put on hold automatically. Best though to have anything agreed, such as any extension, put in writing with the dealer, to avoid any doubt or disagreement. Problem is sometimes, is that people ie traders do not like putting things in writing, so if they refuse, just say you will go the rejection route (which will involve a shed load of paperwork). Anyway so long as you put everything in writing, there will at least be a unilateral paper trail/record on your side of everything you have requested/instructed.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 15:35   #103
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
As far as I am aware as well, when you have a repair done, the 'time clock' for the amount of days left of your right of rejection is put on hold automatically. Best though to have anything agreed, such as any extension, put in writing with the dealer, to avoid any doubt or disagreement. Problem is sometimes, is that people ie traders do not like putting things in writing, so if they refuse, just say you will go the rejection route (which will involve a shed load of paperwork). Anyway so long as you put everything in writing, there will at least be a unilateral paper trail/record on your side of everything you have requested/instructed.

Regards
You may already be doing this, but my experience has always been also worth keeping a diary specifically for the car, include any discussions, when you first noticed things etc. You can then produce a timeline of chain of events if you need it. It is really difficult trying to do this from memory as an afterthought.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neon For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 16:31   #104
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default Okay, apart from the paintwork problem...

In no particular order, some quick thoughts on other aspects of the car:
  • This PowerPulse equipped D5 feels much better than the MY16 I test drove. Noticeably quicker off the mark and seems smoother overall. The first to second gear change is still ill-timed though.
  • Happy with the 19" wheels and Pirelli Scorpions. There seems to be less intrusive/annoying noise than on the MY16 car. I wonder if they've slipped in some extra sound insulation.
  • Impressed with the Adaptive Shadow headlamps. Long range beam is better than any other car I've driven. The car is very quick to dip/adapt to other traffic. On a narrow, twisting country lane you can actually see the beams swivelling and the shadow changing shape as other cars appear.
  • Delighted that 4-zone climate comes with heated rear seats now; wasn't expecting that.
  • Voice input/control seems to work much better than before.
  • VoC is good fun. Have used pre-conditioning a couple of times to blow air through the car when parked in the sun and like being told when I've left the car unlocked.
  • Love the 360 camera but wish there was dedicated physical button for it.
  • Mudflaps are essential on this car, especially at the front. Mine aren't fitted yet and it's obvious muck is being thrown up onto the sides of the car.
  • As supplied the car's tyres were at their ECO pressures. I reduced them to comfort levels.
  • Very happy with the standard sound system. A well encoded FLAC or even mp3 file on a USB stick sounds great. Videos play really well too. I'd still like to have top-down folder access though rather than relying on the files' meta-data. DAB works well.
  • The car's ability to read out texts is very cool and surprisingly useful.
  • Not really checked out the satnav yet but my first impression is that the 'minimalist' map presentation is visually unappealing.
  • I hate the key fobs. Tiny buttons on the narrowest side of such a large fob are just such a stupid idea. Definitely a case of form over function.
  • Not sure I'm going to use PA2 that much. Even with new and perfect motorway lane markings it wanders around too much and gets worryingly close to adjacent vehicles. You end up steering it yourself but with the added inconvenience of having to overcome the extra steering resistance of the auto system.
  • By accident, I discovered that a long press on an interior light button allows you set a dimming level for that light.
  • One real annoyance: I was taught to remove my seat-belt when reversing and after all these years I do it without even thinking. Try doing that in the XC with auto-parking brake engaged and the car refuses to move. Putting the seat-belt back on sometimes doesn't allow the brake to release even with a manual over-ride. Yesterday, while in a busy car park, in the end I had to switch off the ignition wait a few seconds and re-start. One 'safety' feature too far, in my opinion.

So, basically, I'm really happy with the car apart from the paint issue.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 17:40   #105
tem
Premier Member

Back to the door.
Other than a rejection of the car, a new door needs to be supplied in the correct colour.
Defiantly no re-spray.

We all look forward to the outcome of your visit to the dealers tomorrow.
Good luck.

tem.
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 18:29   #106
AB-UK
Premier Member

Passed my test nearly 40 years ago now, and I was never told or taught to remove my seat belt when reversing.

However, I was informed that since seat belts in those days were mostly fixed and not the self tensioning belts which all cars have now, I could release the belt to allow me to turn and look over my shoulders to get a better view.

I have never felt the need to do this since the cars I gave driven in the past 30 years did not have fixed seat belts.

Volvo's ethos has always been one of safety in mind, and I do wonder why owners baulk at the included safety features, such as daytime running lights for example.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 19:17   #107
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
In no particular order, some quick thoughts on other aspects of the car:
  • This PowerPulse equipped D5 feels much better than the MY16 I test drove. Noticeably quicker off the mark and seems smoother overall. The first to second gear change is still ill-timed though.
  • Happy with the 19" wheels and Pirelli Scorpions. There seems to be less intrusive/annoying noise than on the MY16 car. I wonder if they've slipped in some extra sound insulation.
  • Impressed with the Adaptive Shadow headlamps. Long range beam is better than any other car I've driven. The car is very quick to dip/adapt to other traffic. On a narrow, twisting country lane you can actually see the beams swivelling and the shadow changing shape as other cars appear.
  • Delighted that 4-zone climate comes with heated rear seats now; wasn't expecting that.
  • Voice input/control seems to work much better than before.
  • VoC is good fun. Have used pre-conditioning a couple of times to blow air through the car when parked in the sun and like being told when I've left the car unlocked.
  • Love the 360 camera but wish there was dedicated physical button for it.
  • Mudflaps are essential on this car, especially at the front. Mine aren't fitted yet and it's obvious muck is being thrown up onto the sides of the car.
  • As supplied the car's tyres were at their ECO pressures. I reduced them to comfort levels.
  • Very happy with the standard sound system. A well encoded FLAC or even mp3 file on a USB stick sounds great. Videos play really well too. I'd still like to have top-down folder access though rather than relying on the files' meta-data. DAB works well.
  • The car's ability to read out texts is very cool and surprisingly useful.
  • Not really checked out the satnav yet but my first impression is that the 'minimalist' map presentation is visually unappealing.
  • I hate the key fobs. Tiny buttons on the narrowest side of such a large fob are just such a stupid idea. Definitely a case of form over function.
  • Not sure I'm going to use PA2 that much. Even with new and perfect motorway lane markings it wanders around too much and gets worryingly close to adjacent vehicles. You end up steering it yourself but with the added inconvenience of having to overcome the extra steering resistance of the auto system.
  • By accident, I discovered that a long press on an interior light button allows you set a dimming level for that light.
  • One real annoyance: I was taught to remove my seat-belt when reversing and after all these years I do it without even thinking. Try doing that in the XC with auto-parking brake engaged and the car refuses to move. Putting the seat-belt back on sometimes doesn't allow the brake to release even with a manual over-ride. Yesterday, while in a busy car park, in the end I had to switch off the ignition wait a few seconds and re-start. One 'safety' feature too far, in my opinion.

So, basically, I'm really happy with the car apart from the paint issue.
Thanks for the detail, appreciated as it gives me more confidence until mine arrives.
The key fobs look the part but I am hearing they do not wear well with leather covering. On one hand I applaud Volvo for doing something new but on the other I cannot help but feel like they are like a lot of Chinese stuff, all fur coat and no knickers come to mind.
Great that is reads text messages, but my car does and it is almost 4 years old. Maybe new to Volvo.
Encouraged by the road noise thing, although I have 20" wheels coming, I am really hoping they have been dealing with this as a priority and mine will be ok.
Concerned about the PAII as this has been marketed as a big selling point on the car. It should not have any issue on our motorways, if it does it is pointless. Maybe potential for it to improve with software updates. Also some comments on other forums about people going back and having it recalibrated.
Any views Lexman on air conditioning performance and auto parking.

Last edited by neon; Jul 24th, 2016 at 19:48.
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 19:21   #108
tem
Premier Member

All fur coats and no knickers?
Old saying.
Glasgows thoughts about Edinburgh.

tem.
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 19:49   #109
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
All fur coats and no knickers?
Old saying.
Glasgows thoughts about Edinburgh.

tem.
Yes my wife came out with it a few weeks ago and I cracked up.
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 20:39   #110
GMTRB5

Nice overall update, thanks!
GMTRB5 is offline   Reply With Quote