Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stop/Start died mid traffic

Views : 852

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2016, 21:54   #1
encroute

Unhappy Stop/Start died mid traffic

So yesterday evening, on the way home, stop/start working normally, and on a main road in heavy traffic it stops, and never starts again.

Tried switching off S/S, no effect.No error codes,Car charged and 1/2 tank of fuel, but the engine will not re-start.

Had to be towed home (Volvo Assist in 45 mins on a busy evening, one bright point of the evening)
Nice chap, but looked at the manual and didn't find anything to fix it.

Left it for a day, no change - just won't start - seems fine otherwise - something electronic is "stuck", or a fuse or switch has gone.

Anyone experienced this?
Calling the Volvo garage tomorrow.

V annoying!
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 23:57   #2
encroute

Angry

So it appears it was an Ignition switch and they replaced it.
But the engine still did not start.
Turns out the root cause was the Starter Motor.

It's a 60k mile 11-plate V50 with Stop/Start - surely the SM should last substantially longer.

Despite out of warranty, as it has a full Volvo service history, they are taking this to Volvo-otherwise I'm looking at the best part of £650.

Nice.
Fingers crossed
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 00:17   #3
cameron1

Quote:
Originally Posted by encroute View Post
So it appears it was an Ignition switch and they replaced it.
But the engine still did not start.
Turns out the root cause was the Starter Motor.

It's a 60k mile 11-plate V50 with Stop/Start - surely the SM should last substantially longer.

Despite out of warranty, as it has a full Volvo service history, they are taking this to Volvo-otherwise I'm looking at the best part of £650.

Nice.
Fingers crossed
sorry to hear that.

Is your car electric?
cameron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 00:20   #4
encroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron1 View Post
Is your car electric?
No, Diesel 1.6.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 22:34   #5
cameron1

seeing that the car is 5 years old, i'm not sure if Volvo would cough up for a replacement starter motor but they might offer it on a goodwill gesture.

If you have no luck with volvo then me personally would buy a secondhand unit from ebay, i think they are around the £15-20. Ford 1.6 tdci and Volvo 1.6D also share the same starter motor.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on

Cameron
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 09:47   #6
encroute

Angry

Volvo chipped in 10% for the new Starter Motor.
Sentinel (Volvo dealership) felt that was insufficient and chipped in another 10%

I was advised to take it up with Volvo, as they were expecting a 40% goodwill gesture from Volvo UK.

Of course that's for the single pert - the subsequent damage to the Ignition switch (£130+vat) is not addressed. In the end I shelled out £550.

For a Stop/Start vehicle to suffer such a fault, I feel, is unacceptable after 5 years and only 60k miles.

We buy Volvos for their reliability, and while this may be a one off, I will be investigating, with a FOI request, for the quantity of Starter Motor failures in their stop/start vehicles.

Any input from other members would be greatly appreciated.

Séan
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 17:17   #7
cameron1

I agree with you, we pay a premium for reliability and safety.

I would get an independent assessment report to confirms its a manufacturer defect and not a maintenance item. Volvo should be covering 100% for parts and labour. I strongly feel that if you are persistent enough, they will eventually cover all costs. if they aren't budging, get trading standards involved.

As mentioned before, if all else fails, atleast you know that you can buy a used or new starter motor for considerably less than what a volvo dealer charges

Keep us updated and good luck

Cameron

Tags
died, electronics, stop/start