Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water temperature gauge - errr.. not there!

Views : 12954

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2016, 21:00   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshanks8 View Post
Hi, 99 V70 petrol has been fault free for a while,but today dreaded eng management light on,eng temp reading low ,fan ops appear norm,running for short while after shut down,fault code po 116 01 01 eng coolant temp ckt range performance on geniscan obd 11 reader,any ideas what parts to think about.not too much help from agents here in spain,thanks to all in advance you have come up trumps in the past.regds antonio
Engine running too cool , so best change the coolant thermostat ... Have you not noticed the Temperature gauge not reading the usual Mid scale reading ?
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 21:04   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
Not indicating when the coolant is warm enough to fully use the engine is crazy in my opinion.

If anyone does have a sequence of button presses that activates a "hidden menu" for water temperature, I would be more than happy to hear this.

However, there are a number of OBDII solutions available.

Either for pulling data into a smart phone or Garmin sat nav or, with their own display. Some examples below, I would be glad to hear of any feed back on the Scangauge or ideas or where to put the display.

Bluetooth dongle to connect to smartphone with app:

http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIAG.../dp/B003MQ89X4

Own display:

http://www.scangauge.com/products/

http://www.dashdaq.com/

For Garmin satnav with BT:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354

I've found that for the first couple of minutes from cold start most volvo engines are not producing their full power , I would think this is the protection you are wanting .. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes for the engine coolant to be hot enough ...
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 21:09   #33
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
So it isn't possible at all to see the coolant temperature in these cars without the use of a diagnostics reader?
Some posts in this thread mention some hidden onboard computer (OBC) features?
Do any of these include the coolant temperature?

I don't want to have to fork out for a diagnostics kit when ever I come to change my coolant just so I can check it has bled properly and isn't overheating!
I'd also like to be able to check the coolant temp should I make a rest stop on a long journey (like the one I'm undertaking tomorrow)!
See my post#18 above . when there is something wrong , ie too cool or too hot you will know about it before it becomes a problem , Very rare to see these messages ,
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 08:37   #34
green van man
Premier Member

On my old v70 TDI the gauge got to normal setting in 3 or 4 miles. I have used that example on my gaugeless xc70 and drive it gently for the first few miles.
Was always told never cane a cold engine as a youngster, while I accept engine technology has moved on the principle still remains to my way of thinking, warm it up before giving it the beans.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 11:58   #35
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
So it isn't possible at all to see the coolant temperature in these cars without the use of a diagnostics reader?
Some posts in this thread mention some hidden onboard computer (OBC) features?
Do any of these include the coolant temperature?

I don't want to have to fork out for a diagnostics kit when ever I come to change my coolant just so I can check it has bled properly and isn't overheating!
I'd also like to be able to check the coolant temp should I make a rest stop on a long journey (like the one I'm undertaking tomorrow)!
TorquePro app on an android phone with a Bluetooth ODB2 reader is a very cheap setup and easy way to monitor engine temps.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 11:58   #36
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
On my old v70 TDI the gauge got to normal setting in 3 or 4 miles. I have used that example on my gaugeless xc70 and drive it gently for the first few miles.
Was always told never cane a cold engine as a youngster, while I accept engine technology has moved on the principle still remains to my way of thinking, warm it up before giving it the beans.

Paul.

I would wait longer than 3 or 4 miles for a modern Diesel to reach normal running temp.

EGR valves and better efficiency means they take longer for temp to come up.
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 12:33   #37
V70Zig
Master Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
TorquePro app on an android phone with a Bluetooth ODB2 reader is a very cheap setup and easy way to monitor engine temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
I would wait longer than 3 or 4 miles for a modern Diesel to reach normal running temp.

EGR valves and better efficiency means they take longer for temp to come up.
Out of curiosity I hooked up to Torque Pro this morning......at start up (from last night and it's still summer.......ish) the temp was 20 C, at 4 mile into my journey it reached 89 C at which point a little green light started to flash and then stop flashing. This kept on repeating so I assume that it indicates the stat is opening and closing.
Obviously when the cold weather arrives it would imagine the miles covered will increase.........I'll check again in the winter.......

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Zig For This Useful Post: