Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange sensor 740 2.0 gl

Views : 623

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:35   #1
Cipher

Default Strange sensor 740 2.0 gl

Hello,

Im new here and im from a village called ruthven which is near kirriemuir in scotland.

My dad has recently bought a Volvo 740Gl and its great, apart from a few teething problems that is.

Firstly a knocking sound coming from the front suspension when driving, we rekon its the front bushes, it is also causing outer wear on the passenger front tyre.

Now we are having a few problems with fuel consumption, my dad rekons its returning about 15-20mpg which seems to be a bit much. There seems to be a little button/sensor on the inlet that when pushed it takes the idle down from 1300rpm to about 900rpm, this looks like it should be pushed in when the throttle linkage hits it but it doesnt so we have got a bit of old fuel pipe and put it on the linkage and it now is, what i want to know it what this sensor does.

Apart from these few problems the car runs sweet as a nut and has alot of power, Im hoping to be doing my driving test in july with this car and hope to be buying it off my parents in the future for a project.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 10:49   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Just a guess. Is this the microswitch which is switched off when the throttle is closed. If so it is adjustable with 2 screw bolts on the side. Sends signal to ECU to advance retatd ignition etc.
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 21:16   #3
Cipher

Sounds like thats it. would this effect the fuel economy?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 09:19   #4
sheerwater
Master Member

Affects a lot...cant remember exactly what it controls but I think that it affects the ignition timing. From memory the switch has to be closed during ignition timing. You can check it the switch is working with a meter or simply by using a torch battery and bulb. Mt Haynes says that the switch should open just as the throttle opens. Often during basic services this is not checked and the throttle switch is open when the ignition timing is done. Adjustment..2 small screws...adjust so that a click is heard just as throttle is opened. Must affect fuel consumption if not adjusted properly as the ignition timing wont be correct. If you have the original handbook check the timing for your car...mine was 5 degrees yet all other models were 12. Even the dealer got it wrong!!!!
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote