Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

6 weeks without a fault????

Views : 1852

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2016, 17:08   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Mine isnt that noisy and has also a remap
A soundclip will help, it could be that an injector is overfueling due to mechanical failure and is advancing the injection to the point that the fuel is injected to early wich causes extreme pressure spikes wich create the extreme clatter , and its more pronounced when you want power because the fuel already needs to be cramped in compared to lower revs and less power where the injection occurs at lower railpressure and more time to inject less fuel.

A general rule of thumb is that if engine clatter occurs at all revs and engine loads its more likely that its caused by tappets, bearings etc
and if its only caused in a particular revranges at high loads its more likely that its the fueling , injector, railpressure, injector coding or refurbished injectors
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 17:40   #12
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Mine isnt that noisy and has also a remap
A soundclip will help, it could be that an injector is overfueling due to mechanical failure and is advancing the injection to the point that the fuel is injected to early wich causes extreme pressure spikes wich create the extreme clatter , and its more pronounced when you want power because the fuel already needs to be cramped in compared to lower revs and less power where the injection occurs at lower railpressure and more time to inject less fuel.

A general rule of thumb is that if engine clatter occurs at all revs and engine loads its more likely that its caused by tappets, bearings etc
and if its only caused in a particular revranges at high loads its more likely that its the fueling , injector, railpressure, injector coding or refurbished injectors
Yes thanks for that it makes sense, the car was at one time relativly ok to drive,

My suspicion is that it is an injector issue. One has a different batch number, I have found a bosch injector place that will test /refurbish/recode injectors so Ill give them a try, but being a cheapskate Ill try a few runs with injector cleaner in the tank over the xmas break.

tony.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 17:58   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

View the injector performance on Vida.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 21:54   #14
daniel mossey

I have a 185 d5 and it's quiet on tickover and noisier under load but not especially. But compare that to my shogun did I had for 8 yrs and it's great.
But if you notice a difference your usually right and not imagining it.
daniel mossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 19:49   #15
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
View the injector performance on Vida.
I have looked at that but I do not know enough about it to spot an thing wrong.. but I have not tried it under load driving but perhaps I'll give it a bash tomorrow. what in particular should I look out for...if there are any common features of a bad injector on vida
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 22:30   #16
5cilinder
Premier Member

It will show in the enginebalance nrś deviating to much and injection correction figures that are too high negative or positive
The tests need to be done idling with warm engine
Post a printscreen here

Also do a injector leakback test to confirm the tests

Last edited by 5cilinder; Dec 18th, 2016 at 22:34.
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 23:19   #17
osullivant

thanks, I'll try that but twill be Thursday.

These will only show at idle? is there a test for when it is under load, will corrections show when it is accelerating hard up a hill??
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 10:28   #18
5cilinder
Premier Member

Test will only work when idling as far as i know .But dont worry a defect will show.
Only on light loads it can be masked by corrections while on full load it cant and will start to overfuell and show(hear) the symptoms
But the test will point out the corrections and the specific injector(s) in the loadrange where you wont notice because it can be adjusted but the level of adjustment points you to the defect (or wrong coded ) injector(s)

Last edited by 5cilinder; Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:31.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 17:25   #19
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
Diesels are noisy!
Especially at higher revs.
The only way is to try a ride in a similar model.
A well installed modern diesel is not noisy and if you boot any turbo engine to the red line there will be some extra noise.

Is the engine making a noise when stationary and can you describe the noise in more detail ??

If you post a clip to Utube, it can be compared with similar clips of the same engine.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 00:40   #20
gravolvo

Default clatter

I have a clatter noise when i push the engine for a quick boost.
gravolvo is offline   Reply With Quote