Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential Diy DPF Delete 1.6d

Views : 4637

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2011, 14:22   #1
jameshughes1974

Default Potential Diy DPF Delete 1.6d

Hi
My first post ever on a Volvo Forum
Hello to all.
I have a Volvo 2006 s40 1.6d with a DPF.
it’s not got any warning lights and appears Ok although its only doing small journeys so this is a pre-emptive strike, although ”ifs it not broken don’t fix it” does spring to mind. But the DPF design is flawed for a lot of drivers used to diesel economy but not eating motorway miles.
I have been researching DPFremoval without spending hundreds of pounds.
So far I know the following
The DPF regen is triggered by differential pressure in the DPF by its pressure sensors either end of the pipe.
The temp sensor is not a trigger only part of the framework of conditions that must be met before doing a regen.
The pressure sensors (on the 2.0d at least) give out a variable voltage depending on pressure that can be simulated with a cemet variable resistor.

The ADM (dosing module for the eloys fluid) is a canbus based controller that works independently from the differential sensor
Dosing is done by comparing fuel level before and after a fuel refill where the minimum level for a new dose is an extra 5 litres of fuel in the tank.
“Do I need to dose” is triggered by a reed switch contact in the fuel filler cap which is connected to the ADM level and a “dealer based” reset is needed if the level is topped up from a warning light situation.
Now some of the above may be wrong feel free to put me right.
My questions are
Is it only the pressure sensors that trigger a regen cycle or is there a time based regen regardless of the pressure sensors being in their “simulated OK” mode?
Is there any fault code/limp mode that happens sometime after doing the resistor mode where the ecu thinks something is up as the values haven’t changed – I am hoping it’s not that clever?
If I was to top up the Eloys fluid tank with say diesel ahead of any fault codes would I still need to reset the ADM or would it just think I have plenty of fluid and don’t need a reset?
To go hand in hand with the sensor fixes above I plan to open the DPF up and take a 2” core drill up the length of it to create a pipe.
I want to leave the cat alone. Is there an obvious stopping point between cat and DPF or is the cat technology plated onto the dpf.
Research suggests that a well serviced DPF deleted Euro 4 car will still pass a UK Mot smoke test and there are no road tax implications as the 1.6Tdi engines without DPF (Euro 3) are in the same tax bracket as Euro4 (SO no UK Laws broken). In terms of emissions the only time I see black smoke is when a non DPF is nailing it. And the non DPF’s burn less fuel, so all things considered it’s a winner if you are an average UK driver with no racing driver pretensions.
So far this is looking like the price of a core drill (£40), some resistors (£5 max) and a friendly welder (£50 ish) to put the DPF outer shell back together
This is all research and it would be good if people who have gone down this route could spot any no gos in this post Thanks
jameshughes1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:20   #2
clarke2025

Work. It takes a lot for me to crack under pressure. RT
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 09:41   #3
phasesonix

I see this is an old thread but did you ever get round to doing it?I'm thinking of something similar.
phasesonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 11:07   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

He was Last Online: May 3rd, 2016 20:50, so probably no longer using the forum. As DPF removal is an MOT failure, the you have to way up any perceived benefits of not having one vs. cost of having to buy a new one on the offchance you get caught.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 19:49   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

There a service item on the 1.6d's anyway so need to be changed every 75k or whenever they block up,

Dpf would have to be cut open to remove dpf as you carn't get to it due to design of them,

Get rid and map it out
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 22:21   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
There a service item on the 1.6d's anyway so need to be changed every 75k or whenever they block up,

Dpf would have to be cut open to remove dpf as you carn't get to it due to design of them,

Get rid and map it out
The new MOT regs are supposed to make a specific check on the DPF and if it has been deleted it's a fail.
If the inspector is a green type he could report the matter, as removing or tampering with emissions control systems is an illegal act, so apart from having to buy a new one, you can get a sustantial fine.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Feb 25th, 2017 at 22:24.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post: