Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2 bucket system

Views : 2161

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2017, 23:41   #31
Beetnik

Two buckets? Only one needed..

Book it in for a service once a year and it comes back clean.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 08:42   #32
Petey80
Premier Member

Some good responses.

For those that don't wash the car above and beyond a bucket and sponge, what are you like with other areas such as maintenance and general checks? Not having a go, just wondering.

Serviced and MOT'd once a year and that's it? Any issues found are fixed at that point?

Do you check tyres, water and oil on a regular basis?

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 14:05   #33
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

what are you trying to suggest? that because we don't follow the fad for cleaning car paintwork in the meticulous manners descibed that we ignore maintenance?

Absolutely no connection or correlation between the two, in fact it is highly likely that those who don't fastidiously shine the cars have better maintained vehicles as they are focussing on what is important for car maintainence.

I have seen cars that have 'immaculate' paintwork, carpets and seats that are death traps as the owner didn't do the basic safety checks, similarly I have seen perfect cars with perfect maintainence.

I have also seen immaculate cars owned by people whose houses I wouldnt enter for fear of catching some disease, and 'immaculate' cars parked in driveways with grass 3' long.

All a shiny car says it that the owner like a shiny car.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 14:17   #34
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
what are you trying to suggest? that because we don't follow the fad for cleaning car paintwork in the meticulous manners descibed that we ignore maintenance?
Nothing at all, honest, was just a general wonder. Some people, I know not all, that don't take care of their cars in one way, tend not to in others.

Quote:
Absolutely no connection or correlation between the two, in fact it is highly likely that those who don't fastidiously shine the cars have better maintained vehicles as they are focussing on what is important for car maintainence.
True, true.

Quote:
I have seen cars that have 'immaculate' paintwork, carpets and seats that are death traps as the owner didn't do the basic safety checks, similarly I have seen perfect cars with perfect maintainence.

I have also seen immaculate cars owned by people whose houses I wouldnt enter for fear of catching some disease, and 'immaculate' cars parked in driveways with grass 3' long.

All a shiny car says it that the owner like a shiny car.
That's fair enough. Didn't mean to cause offence to anyone. Being an enthusiast forum, I do think we all take care of our cars as best we can.

I just have friends that don't wash, don't check fluids or anything, just leave it all until the service or MOT is due. Just noticed last night that a friends car has severe wear on the outside edge of his tyres. That information fell on deaf ears.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 14:49   #35
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
Ouch- can I have your reg plate so I can avoid buying it in the future when the paint work is faded and neglected ��
I think you would be more interested in the fact it will be 8years old, will have a likely mileage of 180k or so and the service history when I come to sell it.

Last V70 I sold had 177k, paintwork was excellent, despite 2 or 3 automatic washes a year (whether it needed it or not).

Exterior longevity has come a long way from the days of old rust buckets, whether they were washed or not.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 20:04   #36
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Some good responses.

For those that don't wash the car above and beyond a bucket and sponge, what are you like with other areas such as maintenance and general checks? Not having a go, just wondering.

Serviced and MOT'd once a year and that's it? Any issues found are fixed at that point?

Do you check tyres, water and oil on a regular basis?
Tyres checked to the point that it makes my wife paranoid, it goes with being a truck driver required to drive a different vehicle each day and a serious mistrust of some of my colleagues, any vehicle I walk up to I'm checking the tyres as soon as I can see them. That also extends to checking lights, oil water, brakes etc etc, if you do it a lot you can get it down to a routine which takes very little time.

But equally the not being fastidious about washing it probably comes from the same root, I'm not going to get worked up about washing and polishing a truck I may not see again this year, and with a Volvo with peeling laquer I can't get too worried about the look of the car either.

I'm sure I commented on a thread in the past about a rare Volvo, that while I might dream of owning and driving a special car I know that I wouldn't give it the attention it would merit in the polish department, so I'll leave them to those with the time and inclination to preserve them and stick with a tatty but reliable banger. (off to FRF next week for some genuine track rod ends for a 19 year old car)

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: