Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Wax of the year...Pamper Day!

Views : 1088

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2017, 20:15   #11
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Find most fallout remover smells like a dead dogs arsehole, good for cleaning wheels but hate having to use it!
Can't say I've ever had a sniff of one of those, but will take your word for it lol
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 11:30   #12
aab203

I'll likely give the car (XC90) its first wash this weekend. I'm looking to purchase some cleaning products today/tomorrow and wondered what tips/tricks/advice people had and any preferences for products.

Also, I was thinking of using a snow foam lance to give the car a good coating as a pre-wash. Anyone used these before?

Thanks!
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 14:55   #13
Wobbly

I use snow foam. When you get the right combination of lance and foam, then find the mixture (you may be able to adjust the dilute rate on the lance) that works best for you, it's worth it. I believe the principle is that the foam dwells on the car, slowly sliding off taking the majority of the grime with it. The remainder should come off when you rinse the foam off, which in theory means you don't rub grit into the paintwork when you wash the car.

For this to work, the foam needs to be thick. I wouldn't let it dry on the car, though. I've used the foam as a quick and easy wash when the car if filthy and I don't have much time, but get really good results when followed up with a wash.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 15:53   #14
Capt Pugwash

I usually dilute some autoglym Ultra high definition wash shampoo and 'foam' the car with my karcher jetwash then follow up with a 2 bucket wash with one maguires sheepskin mitt for upper surfaces and another standard maguires mitt for lower heavier grime areas..., then a 'dab dry' drying cloth. Followed by autoglym tyre blackener via maguires applicator sponge.

Just got back from a 'pamper session' ourselves at Turnberry ...lots of great comments about the car, and yet there were Porsche, RR..and all manor or 'posh motors' being valet parked...nice to know she holds her own in such company!

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Last edited by Capt Pugwash; Apr 10th, 2017 at 17:58.
Capt Pugwash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt Pugwash For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 16:09   #15
aab203

Thanks for the info. I also have Luminous Sand, so it's nice to see the 'finished' look.

Do you do anything special for the chrome parts / trims, or just wash the whole car with one shampoo type material and rinse off?

So far I am looking at Dodo Juice for most of the products (foam lance / foam liquid, shampoo and glass cleaner/sealant). Gtech is too pricey for my liking at this moment.

I'm researching products for the wheels (I note some have already been mentioned earlier in this thread), as well as the leather.
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 16:29   #16
Capt Pugwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
Thanks for the info. I also have Luminous Sand, so it's nice to see the 'finished' look.

Do you do anything special for the chrome parts / trims, or just wash the whole car with one shampoo type material and rinse off?

So far I am looking at Dodo Juice for most of the products (foam lance / foam liquid, shampoo and glass cleaner/sealant). Gtech is too pricey for my liking at this moment.

I'm researching products for the wheels (I note some have already been mentioned earlier in this thread), as well as the leather.
Thankyou...prior to these shots she had done a long trip up from Notts to St Andrews, followed by a highland tour and finally a coastal road cruise down to Turnberry via Largs through some light showers and I was suprised by how clean she remained, even her backside remained spotless...which is unusual.
I used to use the maguires shampoo, but am finding the autoglym Ultra High Definition shampoo is leaving a far better gloss finish and resisting dirt better!
Chrome parts get the same treatment /products as the bodywork...
Have tried all the fancy detailing products and have settled down on these from autoglym, went full circle and back to their higher end range...

Shampoo/wash: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...ion-shampoo-1l

HD Wax:http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...definition-wax

Tyre Dressing: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...mance-tyre-gel

Last edited by Capt Pugwash; Apr 10th, 2017 at 16:44.
Capt Pugwash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Pugwash For This Useful Post: