Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 t4

Views : 676

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2017, 13:50   #1
Maksimilian

Default S40 t4

Hi all,

First post here, so be gentle!

I'm the proud owner of a 1998 S40 T4, CD spec, in Summer Green 335 with Oyster leather interior. Totally original 75k miles. One of the very first T4's into the UK I'm told and full Volvo main dealer service history her whole life.

She's mechanically very sound and I've just had discs/pads done as well as a full service inc plugs, filters, oil etc.

Just come back from 1000 miles around Scotland with a group of enthusiasts and she really was great fun :-)

Some work left still to do, but I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help with.

1. Some of the buttons on the central console have started to have their topcoat 'flake' a little - is there an easy fix/replacement?
2. I have 3 or 4 small but annoying 20p sized dents in the door panels and boot lid - are the outside door skins easy to access or is this a dentdevil job?
3. At somepoint in her life, the CD changer was removed - are they easy to source as original items?

She's very much my 3rd car (after a BMW 440i and Volvo V60), so looking to get her up to aesthetic condition and then perhaps sell her over the next few months.
Maksimilian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maksimilian For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 17:13   #2
trufauru

great to hear that you are bringing it to its former glory

I can't help you with any of your questions, but over here there is a lot of very knowledgeable people that will help you
Audi 100 1973 - Trying to get it on the road
UAZ 469 2002 - Beach/Surf Duties
trufauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 07:42   #3
canis
Non Fragile

The buttons can be cleaned by leaving them in warm soapy water. The white stuff congeals and can be then removed by rubbing. Gentle action with a kitchen green scourer (the kind attached to a yellow sponge) will pull the gunk off, use more soap to prevent scratching the plastic and be gentle. Solvents don't seem to touch it, for some reason. The worst bit is getting the buttons off in the first place.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 09:14   #4
NTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
The buttons can be cleaned by leaving them in warm soapy water. The white stuff congeals and can be then removed by rubbing. Gentle action with a kitchen green scourer (the kind attached to a yellow sponge) will pull the gunk off, use more soap to prevent scratching the plastic and be gentle. Solvents don't seem to touch it, for some reason. The worst bit is getting the buttons off in the first place.
Hello,

Are you talking about the round rotating buttons (Fan speed, temperature and fan orientation)? Because mine are feeling a bit sticky and their replacement is quite expensive at the local volvo dealer.
NTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 18:10   #5
druid
V40 Owner

Use degreaser.like, i think is people grease after all. Wish I had ķnown before.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 09:14   #6
Maksimilian

Great thanks guys
Maksimilian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maksimilian For This Useful Post:

Tags
summer green, t4 s40