Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V40 Sport Lux - fuel filter pipes?

Views : 422

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2016, 00:00   #1
tttonyyy

Smile Volvo V40 Sport Lux - fuel filter pipes?

Hi, I'm new around here.

I've recently purchased a rather lovely 2001 Volvo V40 Sport Lux 1.9D for the bargain price of £660. It came with the obvious faults of driver's side door not locking, and uneven tyre wear on the front with slightly skittery steering over bumps (suspension bushes could do with replacing).

I've had the driver's door card off and freed up the central locking motor and it seems much happier to actually lock now, so that's done, and the bushes don't look like too much trouble.

The only other caveat is that I run all my cars on homebrew (as I have done since 2007), so it'll be on my very finely crafted and cold-filtered Fatty Acid Methyl Esters with a splash of 2-Ethyl-Hexyl Nitrate as soon as the tank of dino juice runs low. Usually in an older diesel this mix acts as an amazing fuel-system solvent and strips out all the old diesel waxing, gumming and damp lumps, which end up in the fuel filter after the first few tanks. I've found the fuel filter cunningly hidden under the fusebox, and I've got replacement elements - but there's a couple of bits I don't understand:

How do you re-prime the filter? I can't see a bleed screw or a hand-primer.

How do you remove the two connecting pipes at the back of the filter head? They appear to just clip into place but I can't shift them with the clip depressed and force applied. I can see how the filter can be replaced without removing these pipes but I'd quite like to scrub out the whole filter housing arrangement with a bit of Isopropyl.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by tttonyyy; Nov 27th, 2016 at 00:03.
tttonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tttonyyy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 02:11   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. This section is the lounge area for member to talk about any sort "crap" other than cars...... You can visit the S40/V40 section here for more specific questions: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Anyway, to answer your question, there is a drain plug at the bottom of the fuel filter. To prime the fuel filter, there is a small hand pump that looks like a grenade exactly next to the fuel filter (see image below).
See biotixic's guide here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=146544
You do not need to remove the hoses from the top of the fuel filter housing. You just undo the screw/bolt at the top of the fuel filter housing and the lid will just lift up and on the side, giving you plenty of access to the fuel filter. ANyway, for future reference, if you ever need to remove those two hoses, you will need to push the clip from both the top and the bottom.You can see the top on in the photos of Biotoxic, but there is another one hidden from view at 180 degrees from that one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3skffjny18vjhik98agx.jpg (112.7 KB, 64 views)

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 16:20   #3
tttonyyy

I feel like a proper idiot because I must have looked right at the primer before.

That there are clips on the underneath of the pipes explains why they didn't want to pop out too.

Thank you
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 16:42   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttonyyy View Post
I feel like a proper idiot because I must have looked right at the primer before.

That there are clips on the underneath of the pipes explains why they didn't want to pop out too.

Thank you
Nah, a proper idiot is an idiot who doesn't realise they are an idiot.

Welcome to V40 ownership and enjoyment
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 23:11   #5
tttonyyy

I'm very happy to report that the V40 absolutely loves the homebrew biodiesel.

I've recently moved house so not had much homebrew to fall back on and had to switch between forecourt diesel and biodiesel a few times. I can really hear when transitioning between mineral diesel and biodiesel - as the bio gets through to the injection system, everything quietens down and goes silky smooth, It seems unkind to run it on anything else! Now I've got the kit set up it's on nothing but bio.

One thing I did notice is that the 2-EHN makes a huge difference to cheap forecourt diesel, it really didn't like the stuff from Asda at all until a little 2-EHN was mixed in.

Hopefully quick question, does anyone know where the water temp sensor lives? My water temp gauge appears to show random valuesand saws between boiling with the red light on and freezing withing a matter of seconds. It would be a little alarming were it not for the fact that it indicates red hot straight after cold starting, so I know it's all lies!

I would guess it's the connector at the top rear nearside of the engine, on what looks vaguely like a rather long thermostat housing?
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 23:12   #6
tttonyyy

Oh and I changed both lower arms and drop links, it goes in a straight line now without eating tyres which is a bonus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttonyyy For This Useful Post: