Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 P1 Oxygen sensor PO141/Lambda sensor

Views : 3315

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 10:59   #31
oliverpervasive

Default protective cover/tube next to grommet under car

I forgot to mention for completeness that there is a protective cover with a tube the original cable ran through- just beyond the grommet under car. It appeared to be a single unit/tube - so without removing the end connector I could not thread the new cable back through it. Unless it comes apart? - mine seemed solid. So I just ran the cable under the plate and reattached it. Having slept on it I wonder if I should have tried harder to prise the tube off the plate.
Think it is the one item I did not photo. Anyhow - as its bothering me I will readdress this.....
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oliverpervasive For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 13:23   #32
960kg
Premier Member

I fully understand why owners try to keep these motors still on the road despite being so many years old.
But the one thing that cannot or should not be cost cutting are the two O2 sensors .....if you do, especially with a fussy T4 model, the performance will suffer and you won`t know what you are missing as the old ones for changing were knackered also ...so by just changing the rear or front O2 sensor for a copy or aftermarket one including soldering one into the existing line will just turn out to be more expensive in the long run....the fuel consumption will suffer as will the general running of the motor along with unreliability and probably in the end you will buy the proper Volvo sensor so it can be a very expensive exercise to try and do it cheaply. Known secondhand proper Volvo sensors are better than aftermarket items.

First of all they wear at the same rate so should really be changed in pairs.

The REAR O2 sensor is just as important as the front one as they communicate with one another and signals between the two are shared and the REAR sensor also fine lines the the fuel/air mixture for better economy.

Most think that all the REAR sensor does is check on the CAT but that is only half the information, it is as important as the front sensor.

So for members that cherish there motor fit once and fit the proper parts for those that just want a runner and just want it to work anyway then each to his own?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O2 sensors.jpg (235.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg O2 Readings.jpg (57.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg O2 sensors Breathe.jpg (147.4 KB, 3 views)

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 12:11   #33
oliverpervasive

Default £ vrs reality

It is a dilemma we all have with aged cars.

However in this case the original part was obsolete and they were trying to sell me an alternative rear sensor. Front was £120/back £145 plus VAT - £300 odd ( dare not think how much they would have charged to fit!)

So £22 on a second hand one from a sports models seems reasonable option for a x reg car not worth £500 on the general market ( and needs timing belt done)
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 12:34   #34
canis
Non Fragile

Haha, you as well! Last year I gave the car a thorough overhaul (head gasket failed) but the new timing belt was the wrong size. So i fitted the old one 'just for now'. I was nervous at first...
canis is offline   Reply With Quote