Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103947

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 10:30   #1191
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo21 View Post
Couldn't agree with you more Neon (as I did much earlier with you through Volvo ownership on this forum). Audi personnel have a serious bedside issue but their cars work and I found the Volvo dealer just had their hands tied and were inept and slow at resolving the serious issues that I had with my car. I regret nothing about shifting marques.
We still have a 10 plate S60 D5 in the household and it drives perfectly and passes the MOT without fault.
I am just saddened that months on, this thread is still voicing people's (some) disappointment with the title.
I am glad you are happy with the Q7.
I still contribute to this thread in the hope that Volvo are listening and may take some notice and do something, although this is diminishing as time goes by. I have been through the dealer and Volvo UK.

Last edited by neon; Oct 3rd, 2017 at 10:33.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 10:35   #1192
Zoo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I can see where you are coming from. To get a similar spec to my Volvo would however cost me at least another 10k as a Q7.

:wq
Good point you make FamilymanGreg but actually doing the exercise and putting my money down, I secured a Q7 S-Line with Technology and Dynamic pack, air, cross stitch leather at £1635 more than the D5 Inscription which I bought (£57,945.00) with air, winter pack, glass roof, tints and some other packs.
Volvo gave me very little 'contribution' but the Audi dealer was falling over himself with offers.
Zoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 13:03   #1193
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAmaral View Post
My MY18 came w/ Michelin Lattitude Sport 3 (on 20”), I have the air suspension and the noise is not an issue so far. It is not the quiest car on the road on uneven surfaces but definitively cant complain about road noise as I find it more than acceptable even though mine is a D4. I had a E class before and it was silent so either the problem was solved for the MY18 or it is just all about personal feelings/expectations. Given the number of complaints I reckon they realized there was a problem and solved it.

Over here a similar spec Q7 would have cost me at least another €15k - way out of my budget and therefore not comparable in my view. I am sure the Q7 is better otherwise there would be no excuse for the price difference. Of course some things should be better in the XC90 (I find the ac controls annoying as well) but I wouldn’t change it for any other car right now... very very happy!

Ps: I believe the e-tron can’t have the 7 seats, so for some guys that makes the T8 a no brainer...
There is no road noise in Portugal or Spain. They use a lot less coarse road surfaces than in the UK. Despite that some cars manage to handle them well. Xc90 manages acceptable so I can see why many are still ticked off paying this much fir acceptable. Remember they started with unacceptable and we've seeen some progress.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 13:08   #1194
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo21 View Post
119 pages - and still counting...

First time I have logged in for months and it's disappointing that some of the same owners way back in the early pages, are still unhappy with their XC90's.

I returned my new XC90 within three months of ownership and bought a new S-Line Q7 in February.
The Audi has never had an issue. Zero. The tyres are still great after 9k and the upholstery is like new. It's boring to look at but streets ahead of the Volvo in terms of power, torque, driving pleasure, comfort and toys - and I can adjust things without having to look down at that iPad. I'm sure the voice control is now great on the Volvo but to take your eyes off the road and go through a menu to adjust the climate - that's just not safe.

Didn't want to stir it all up for owners but I see looking through previous pages and other threads, that there are XC90 drivers considering Q7's - my experience...if the looks don't bother you - The new Q7 is the winner and just outstrips the Volvo in every way.
I agree that no temperature dial is one of the worst decisions in design of this car. Especially considering how non-intuitive is the "perceived" temperature logic is. I am having to change it way more often than in any other cars I owned. It's unsafe to have to look down - at least push it to the top of screen if can't allow steeeting wheel control. Voice control only works reliably when the car is not moving due to road noise or diesel rattle.
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 12:37   #1195
ulstrup

I have CONTI SPORTCONTACT 5 on 20' wheels on my 2018MY. T8. the car was delivered yesterday and I drove about 120 miles since then.
I didn't found the car particularly noisy.
the engine is very silent, at least up to 90 mph.Of course in EV mode you can hear the wheel but it seems quite ''normal''.

I don't know what kind of improvement they did but, for me, the ''noise'' it's not a problem, at all.
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 13:53   #1196
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstrup View Post
I have CONTI SPORTCONTACT 5 on 20' wheels on my 2018MY. T8. the car was delivered yesterday and I drove about 120 miles since then.
the engine is very silent, at least up to 90 mph.Of course in EV mode you can hear the wheel but it seems quite ''normal''.

I don't know what kind of improvement they did but, for me, the ''noise'' it's not a problem, at all.
The noise appears to be more of a problem on the D5 model, the T8 are a different car as far as engine/weight/set up etc are concerned so this will have an effect, it may also have more sound insulation to cut out motor whine etc.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 14:49   #1197
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstrup View Post

We have them on our 2018 T5, albeit in 19" version. No noise problem either.
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 15:11   #1198
ulstrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
The noise appears to be more of a problem on the D5 model, the T8 are a different car as far as engine/weight/set up etc are concerned so this will have an effect, it may also have more sound insulation to cut out motor whine etc.
I don't know about any insulation increase but if, somehow, the noise is frequency related you might be right. the mass/dimension ratio can make a difference.
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 16:49   #1199
neon
Premier Member

The only owners that have really complained all have D5 with 20" wheels and UK based as far as I am aware.

Last edited by neon; Oct 7th, 2017 at 16:52.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 17:22   #1200
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
I agree that no temperature dial is one of the worst decisions in design of this car. Especially considering how non-intuitive is the "perceived" temperature logic is. I am having to change it way more often than in any other cars I owned. It's unsafe to have to look down - at least push it to the top of screen if can't allow steeeting wheel control. Voice control only works reliably when the car is not moving due to road noise or diesel rattle.
I must admit to not finding the temperature control a problem, either manual or voice control, perhaps Volvo have made things easier with the XC60.
Just 2 taps on the screen gives me the temperature I require.