Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing the fuel filter - best way?

Views : 1031

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2017, 19:01   #11
flyingtech55

I would suspect static discharge.
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 21:07   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_forty View Post
Thanks - I was a little surprised that the old one was held on by cable ties (not fitted by me), seems to have held fine but i'll keep an eye out for a proper bracket and change it over.

Forgive my slight electrical ignorance, but why would there be an earth connection on to the bracket for the fuel filter?
The mounting band is plastic but it does have a holder for that terminal to keep it dry and secure .. Not sure what it is for , Probably something for a different market to do with the fuel system .
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 16:48   #13
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The mounting band is plastic but it does have a holder for that terminal to keep it dry and secure .. Not sure what it is for , Probably something for a different market to do with the fuel system .
Mine was also clamped with cable ties when replaced. I too wondered about the electrical connection...

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 18:14   #14
oliverpervasive

Default S40 petrol 1.8 fuel filter plastic bracket

Change my fuel filter - thanks for tips. Other than a bit of spilt fuel as the old filter emptied on me quick job to do.
Protective panel studs were very stiff to get back in - may revert to cable ties.

However I discovered my filter bracket had snapped. Just tied up at present - plan to just get a big jubilee to replace.
Do you reckon it needs padding to allow for expansion or would the metal jubilee clip expand too? I assume it does not get hot.

As mentioned the original bracket had a little socket the previously mentioned wire would slot into and keep it tidy. Just a plastic node - no visible electrical connections
How do you upload a photo - I get to insert URL - erm..better google it

I cannot fathom the role so I'll just cable tie it.
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 18:20   #15
oliverpervasive

Default plastic bracket picture

here it it :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171102_175201.jpg (76.8 KB, 13 views)
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 12:15   #16
magnuz
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverpervasive View Post

However I discovered my filter bracket had snapped. Just tied up at present - plan to just get a big jubilee to replace.
Do you reckon it needs padding to allow for expansion or would the metal jubilee clip expand too? I assume it does not get hot.

When i used a jubilee clip on my filter, i wrapped a strip of old tyre inner tube around it.to stop it rattling... probably not really necessary, but i had some so i used it !....i also cable tied the wire to the filter.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post: