Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 -97 Doors, alarm and lights problems

Views : 902

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 21:39   #1
Dislocation

Default S70 -97 Doors, alarm and lights problems

Hello there. So i have couple of problems and i'm looking for some solution to them.

Also for the note: I'm not sure if interior lights means something else also, but in my case i'm referring it to lights over the doors, and top/middle light between driver seat and shotgun.

Lets start with door lights: Couple of weeks ago when i opened any door, interior lights would come on, and also red lights in doors. Now i noticed only driver door does that, other doors doesn't activate any lights anymore. Doors will lock and electric windows works fine though.

What i should do to identify what's the cause?

Also when i purchased this car, former owner told me that alarm system is not working, and he didn't know why. I read from internet that in some cases if alarm "thinks" that some door is open, it won't activate itself, could that thing be linked to my door light/interior light problem somehow? Alarm red light on dash doesn't blink or even appears, it's just off.

Before, when lights was still activating when i opened any door, there was no problem like if i close the door, lights would stay on. That's not the problem even now when only driver door works with lights.

So far i've tried to slam every door little bit harder than normally, even hood and trunk, no help. Also i don't think this is bulb issue, because if it would be, then i'm pretty sure interior lights shouldn't come on with any doors, and now it still works with driver door. I also checked every fuse that says anything related "lights".

Of course 1997 years alarm system is not that accurate nor great, but i'd still like to have it on anyway :-) And also the interior lights is nice to have working

Thanks a ton for everyone who is willing to give me some advice or tips!
Dislocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 23:17   #2
Bigfella666
Premier Member

It is difficult to be sure but what I do know us that you have issues identical to those I have on my V70. Almost certainly a failed micro switch in one or more doors.

If you use the search button above you should reach a really useful post by christhe ancient - when I eventually get my girl back I shall be following Chris's post to the letter.
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 09:59   #3
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Have a look here...

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124280

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 17:19   #4
Bigfella666
Premier Member

And there you go Chris the true gent that he is even saving you the hassle of a search !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 10:22   #5
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
And there you go Chris the true gent that he is even saving you the hassle of a search !
You've got me blushing now!

Not often I get called that. I usually get called some 'anglo-saxon words' which I can't find out what they mean when I try to search on them. But then they appear as stars! Surely not me!

Easy for me to post the link as I keep it handy in a file of other "Volvo Stuff" on my computer as I know it is a common problem.

Old Nov 15th, 2017, 15:21   #6
Dislocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
You've got me blushing now!

Not often I get called that. I usually get called some 'anglo-saxon words' which I can't find out what they mean when I try to search on them. But then they appear as stars! Surely not me!

Easy for me to post the link as I keep it handy in a file of other "Volvo Stuff" on my computer as I know it is a common problem.
Heya, thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately it seems that your topic is solution when lights stay on, mine is just different.

Also, for my alarm problem. Do you have any idea what i should do with it? People say that car won't activate alarm if it thinks that some door is open, but i don't think thats the case here since doors doesn't activate interior lights , and door locks works just fine. Maybe it thinks already they are locked constantly? I don't know..

Also for the info: Yesterday i tried touching doors lock "hooks" manually, pulling them up and down. It seems sometimes front passenger door and left rear passenger door activates lights, but pretty much next time i try, they don't. Right rear door is not working at all with lights..

And lastly: I don't know much about cars, yes i do know how to add oil and change fuses but thats almost about it How hard is it to remove door panels for beginner? I prefer not taking my car to workshop since it surely is expensive and most likely they cannot guarantee that they'll get it working. And it's just lights, i can live without them but also i'd like to have em =) Alarm too!

Btw, nice post you have there about this thing! Some things i don't understand because my native language is not english, and lack of knowledge about cars, but i tried
Dislocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 10:38   #7
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislocation View Post
Also for the info: Yesterday i tried touching doors lock "hooks" manually, pulling them up and down. It seems sometimes front passenger door and left rear passenger door activates lights, but pretty much next time i try, they don't. Right rear door is not working at all with lights..
To me, it really does look like a door locks problem - and it it could be on one or more locks. Just make sure that you test one door at a time (obvious - but I didn't at my first attempt and ended up really confused as to where the faults were. And, as you have discovered, sometimes they can be a bit intermittent; so really check thoroughly.

Removal of the door panels is fairly easy. For safety, it is advisable to disconnect the battery first. Prise out any switch panels and disconnect them and put them somewhere safe. In the recess where you put your fingers to pull the door closed is a little panel. Prise that out and there is a torx head screw underneath. Remove that (and put it somewhere safe!). From there on, it is a matter of carefully prising the door panel off (loads of spring clips!) to remove it. You can then get to the lock mechanisms; but do be prepared to have double-jointed fingers and wrists at times (and a good supply of swear words when you lose more skin off your knuckles!).

None of the procedures are particularly tricky; but some are a little bit fiddly. Just take it steady and don't rush and you should be OK.

I would also add that I was full of trepidation when I first had a go; but, and with a hidden supply of patience that I found, it didn't end up as horrendous as I imagined it might be.

Last edited by christheancient; Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:41.