Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter tyres fitted yet?

Views : 2642

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2017, 15:47   #21
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Never used them, always drive to conditions, wet, dry, hot or cold. Never been stuck, never had a grip related incident.

Wow, setting myself up for a fall here ain't I?
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 16:46   #22
green van man
Premier Member

As I have said, I have all season tyres on my cars, works van however runs summer tyres all year round and I have never got stuck in it, snow or sheet ice included, maybe it being 5 tons is some thing to do with that but to my mind the biggest factor is the twin wheels on the rear axil and momentum.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 17:10   #23
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Our trucks at work came new with M+S tyres on them, the years have passed and now they're all shod with nice cheap remoulds on the drive axle. Now the question is do I want a harsh winter so we can all laugh at the management when we all get stuck, or a mild winter so I don't have to worry about getting stuck and not getting home?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 17:13   #24
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Our trucks at work came new with M+S tyres on them, the years have passed and now they're all shod with nice cheap remoulds on the drive axle. Now the question is do I want a harsh winter so we can all laugh at the management when we all get stuck, or a mild winter so I don't have to worry about getting stuck and not getting home?
Go with getting home every time.
Watching Ice Road Truckers and most of their trucks do not seem to have the multi snipes of winter tyres.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 17:42   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Never used them, always drive to conditions, wet, dry, hot or cold. Never been stuck, never had a grip related incident.

Wow, setting myself up for a fall here ain't I?
Picking up on what 'biggbn' says, do winter tyres work on black ice?

The two grip related incidents that I remember most happened in these conditions. There was literally nothing that I could do in either situation other than let the car have it's head and pray.

When I reached my destinations I learned that, on the first occasion, many others had been similarly affected with multiple accidents being reported locally, and, in the second, the police closed the M42 about 10 - 15 minutes later.

I'm very thankful that I no longer need to drive in such conditions, but have every sympathy for those who must.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 19:36   #26
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Go with getting home every time.
Watching Ice Road Truckers and most of their trucks do not seem to have the multi snipes of winter tyres.

Paul.
True, but they do have snow chains.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 19:39   #27
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Picking up on what 'biggbn' says, do winter tyres work on black ice?

The two grip related incidents that I remember most happened in these conditions. There was literally nothing that I could do in either situation other than let the car have it's head and pray.

When I reached my destinations I learned that, on the first occasion, many others had been similarly affected with multiple accidents being reported locally, and, in the second, the police closed the M42 about 10 - 15 minutes later.

I'm very thankful that I no longer need to drive in such conditions, but have every sympathy for those who must.

Regards, John.
Winter tyres probably have little benefit on black ice. There's only one answer for this -- studs. Unfortunately they are not allowed in the UK. In Sweden, I learnt first hand in a taxi how effective studs are in hard-packed snow/ice. The cars are driven as if the roads are 'normal'. At first it is frightening, then you simply relax and find it amazing.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 18:09   #28
volvo always
Premier Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I am going to wait a week or 2 as I'll be working in Brum where a friendly garage will swap them over cheaper than where I live.

Many thanks. James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 08:14   #29
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
...There's only one answer for this -- studs. Unfortunately they are not allowed in the UK...
I used to have studded tyres on a car in Northern Germany they were really, really good but incredibly noisy when you went over uncovered tarmac.

Studded tyres are legal and allowed in the UK though but unlike winter tyres you have to remove them when the conditions have changed and the snow and ice have gone. You might get a few weeks of use out of a set in Scotland and the odd day down south but that is about it. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 27(1)(h) "the tyre is not maintained in such condition as to be fit for the use to which the vehicle or trailer is being put or has a defect which might in any way cause damage to the surface of the road or damage to persons on or in the vehicle or to other persons using the road."
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 20:43   #30
Drivetest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivetest View Post
Will get Nokians fitted soon on my V60 I had a set on the XC70 it replaced .Will get the cold temps up here for starters.
I have Nokian WR A4 on now see how the winter goes.They state they have improved design for better wet road handling that can happen on the same drive and quicker to react to temperature change.Supplier Nordic Tyres uses them they say a bit it more wear on this from the old WR A3 that was very good thread wise .If it works good on snow and wet I will recommend Their studded tyres would be one to have for the ice and handy for the Borders.I just need them because I live on a hill and my Partner's work at a Hospital on another hill.

Last edited by Drivetest; Nov 24th, 2017 at 20:55.
Drivetest is offline   Reply With Quote