Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598978

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:12   #1651
NigelDay
Premier Member

Make sure you keep all the paper work. Don't leave the Volvo dealership without a documented invoice for what they have done. You will then be in a strong position to claim this back under the Honda warranty. Also, have a good read of the Honda warranty for any exclusions.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 08:50   #1652
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose77 View Post
A point to note is that less than a week ago in a separate scenario, the engine oil light illuminated (not the same light as the check engine light). Some research pointed out that it could be related to the oil level being too high. I checked this using the dashboard control and it displayed that the level was ok - 1 increment below the maximum point. Upon next start up, the light did not come on and hasnt been on since.
Get the Volvo dealer to check out the potential / likely EGR problem first.

Then ask the Honda dealer to specify EXACTLY which oil they used when doing the last service on your car. Volvo stipulates that a very specific low-friction oil is used in the VEA motors:

Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0w20

If the Honda dealer cannot provide a clear answer backed up with evidence, then insist that they do a complete oil & filter change and use the correct Volvo-spec oil and filter, at their expense.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 11:28   #1653
Goose77

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
Get the Volvo dealer to check out the potential / likely EGR problem first.

Then ask the Honda dealer to specify EXACTLY which oil they used when doing the last service on your car. Volvo stipulates that a very specific low-friction oil is used in the VEA motors:

Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0w20

If the Honda dealer cannot provide a clear answer backed up with evidence, then insist that they do a complete oil & filter change and use the correct Volvo-spec oil and filter, at their expense.
Hi Craig,

There's been a new development.
The check engine light has went off. Does anyone know if the error codes are stored in memory?
The car is booked in for a code read tomorrow and I don't want to waste time and money if there is nothing to be found.

In response to your advice regarding asking the Honda dealer to confirm what oil they have used during their service - do you think they would have a paper trail as they could simply say that they have used an approved oil and then what?

I can let the volvo dealer here know about the original problem of the "check oil" light which went out after a day and see what he thinks as it could well be related to the "check engine" issue.
I can definitely smell a faint whiff of diesel inside the cabin when driving, but as of today the car does not have any warning lights illuminated.

Thanks again for the input
Goose77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 12:55   #1654
craigv60
Master Member

The car will store the error codes. The Check Engine Light can go off after being illuminated for several days - my own V60 did this a few times, until eventually the light stayed on until the fix was done. The problem with mine was always the EGR valve / cooler. If in doubt, call the Volvo dealer service desk and describe what's happened.

Re the oil used by the Honda dealer at the last service, I very much doubt they will have any record of what was used, and I very much doubt they used the Volvo-spec oil - they will almost certainly have used the generic oil that they use for Honda servicing.

I wouldn't mention it to the Volvo dealer though, as it gives them an excuse to claim non-compliant servicing. Let them do their diagnostics first.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 18:42   #1655
NigelDay
Premier Member

When my light came on at 62k, it stayed on for a couple of days then went out. However, as craigv60 pointed out, the codes are stored, and the diagnosis was a sooted oxygen sensor. A quick clean and all was well. I had hoped it was the full EGR problem, but it wasn't, so I await any future check lights before I might be eligible for the 'final fix'. Not the best situation, but Volvo will not do the fix unless it is necessary, hence no formal recall.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 11:46   #1656
Goose77

Update:

Visited the Volvo dealer earlier today and they carried out their diagnostics.
I was told that although my car is out of warranty (only just mind you) they are going to order parts and carry out a fix to the EGR problem - free of charge.
It would seem that their diagnostic found a code related to the known EGR issue or because the car has displayed an engine warning light they are taking the opportunity to do the work regardless.

Either way, it's a result that I am very pleased with so hat's off to Volvo for their approach, it made my morning.

If the dealer where I bought my car has used a different oil for the service - would anyone reading this know what / if any damage may occur as a result?
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 12:53   #1657
NigelDay
Premier Member

Sounds like a good result.
Check the fix looks like the picture in this post:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1539
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 14:18   #1658
K5 Gus

Thanks for letting us know, that's great news for those of us out of warranty that have so far not had the EGR issue, although of course it doesn't guarantee they will continue with this approach ad infinitum
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 14:58   #1659
Goose77

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Thanks for letting us know, that's great news for those of us out of warranty that have so far not had the EGR issue, although of course it doesn't guarantee they will continue with this approach ad infinitum

You're welcome.
My feeling is that they most likely will support this fix out of warranty indefinitely - providing that the appropriate code related to this fault is found in their diagnostic.
They have acknowledged that there is an issue with this particular setup and I think that their solid reputation is too valuable to mess around with in addition to the potential loss of custom.

I must say, that apart from this EGR issue, I'm extremely happy with the car. There are a lot of SUV's coming onto the market at the moment and the XC60 for me, gives the best value, safety and ride.
The new XC60's are very tasty inside and out, though they don't have the option of this particular engine which is a shame.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 15:26   #1660
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose77 View Post
Update:

If the dealer where I bought my car has used a different oil for the service - would anyone reading this know what / if any damage may occur as a result?
Good news about the EGR.

I doubt that the wrong oil will actually damage anything. However, it may throw up odd / unusual readings from the electronic dipstick (which you experienced), as Volvo is careful to specify a special 0W20 ultra-low friction oil, and the sensors in the engine that read oil quality etc will be designed with the viscosity and flow characteristics of this oil in mind.

I have no idea what type of oil Honda specifies for its diesel engines but I doubt it's 0W20 grade. It's worth giving the Honda dealer you bought the car from a grilling on this, after all they've not had to do anything to help you with the EGR fix.

I would get them to confirm to you - in writing - that they used oil and filter to Volvo's spec.