Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The ETM thing????

Views : 737

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 21:18   #1
roys v

Default The ETM thing????

Now that I have bought my 2002 51reg 2.4T Volvo V70 I was wondering will I have a problem with the ETM or has the software on this model been updated? Hope this question makes sense............
Cheers
Roy
roys v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 21:27   #2
Oli
VOC Member

You may not be at risk, the way to check is to look for the ETM. If it's box shape with either a white or yellow Magneto Marelli sticker on it. To find it simply open your bonnet and look down the front of the engine between the back of the radiator fan and the engine.

If you find it, then you're at risk. If you don't then you may have the Bosch replacement system that does not suffer any of the same issues.

The system was changed for 2002 models, so fingers crossed.....

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 21:50   #3
roys v

Thanks Oli
I will be picking the car up on Wed, unfortunately I have paid a £500 deposit, wish I had of read the ETM threads previously. If it has the said box would it be easier just to get it replaced by a bosch version and is this a permanent fix. I have read on the threads people have had them replaced to fail again and why can't they replace with what is in the later models?
Cheers
Roy
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 22:08   #4
Oli
VOC Member

You can't replace the MM version with a Bosch, different setup I'm afraid.

Have you left a deposit with a main dealer or private dealer?

I think you'll have the newer system on a 2002 car, but if not any dealer will do the software upgrade for you and if that fails, call Volvo customer services and ask for a reference number to get the ETM replaced. The cost should be £250 with a 20% (£50) contribution from VCUK.

I suggest you discuss with the dealer before completing the deal. They'll either help prove you've a Bosch version, or give a £200 discount.

How many miles on the clock?

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 22:15   #5
roys v

Hi Oli

Sorry for the slow reply, just reading more of the ETM threads. It has 119,000 on the clock, FVSH but due a service. The dealer (private) will do a sales service on the car, so I might book it into a main dealer for a service. It was on for 7K I paid £6,500
I have been reading about these cars doing bumper mileage so the mileage didn't worry me

Roy
Old May 1st, 2007, 17:38   #6
veefour

Let's hope you don't have it. I bought a 2001 XC70 for the wife and I'm starting to regret it.....

Not only does it very much have the ETM issue (idle speed all over the shop, cruise control sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, emission service warning etc) but it also has a problem where the brake warning lights come on with the nice message of Brake Failure - Stop ASAP! The brakes are actually fine and the message comes and goes (along with the speedo reading as it's linked to the same system). I was hoping the latter was a wheel sensor as it's had new discs on the rear but it's done it in the drive so it looks like it may be the ABS ECU.

Still, I've only myself to blame as I never researched these cars well enough before I bought it. I used to do lots of mechanical work on cars several years ago and the only thing this one did when we got it was the erratic idle speed but I thought 'sounds like a vacuum pipe or breather....' - doh! The other thing that annoys me about these cars (and I'm sure it's not just Volvo's these days) is the way that every single component is coded to the car and only the dealer can fit new ones. It kind of negates any ability the home mechanic might have.....

If I knew that I know now, I think I'd have walked away - even though the price was ok (£5800 for a very well spec'd 2.4T XC70 with 115k).

What was so wrong with a throttle cable anyway!?
veefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 20:44   #7
Fordy

If it does go you now know what symptoms to look out for. Doesn't mean it will go, though it has affected a significant number it doesn't happen to everyone. If it does its a £250 fix, not the biggie it was.

You've got a lot of car for 6.5k, so enjoy it
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 18:44   #8
roys v

Hi
I picked up the car today Now my last car being a Defender 90 (which I loved dearly, but I was the only one) I was amazed at the way this car picked up, so smoothly, and sooooo comfy. It has some toys, leather, air con, CD x4 (i think) and other bits and bobs. I thought it would have traction control but I'm not sure, it's a 2.4TS quoted £359 insurance
Anyway the ETM, I nervously looked down between the back of the fan and engine but didn't see the box with sticker, in fact couldn't see any box.
Can't wait to have a decent drive in it, after my nights and hand back the company car........................
Cheers
Roy

Last edited by roys v; May 2nd, 2007 at 18:53. Reason: left out insurance
Old May 2nd, 2007, 19:12   #9
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Sounds like you've found a good one mate, the Bosch looks like this without the cutaway lol..........

Last edited by Engineer; Apr 3rd, 2010 at 23:43.
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 19:31   #10
roys v

Maybe I will phone up the Volvo garage where it has been serviced, they should be able to tell me. My mechanical knowledge fits on a stamp. The cambelt looks like it has been changed at 54K & 96K are these guys alright, normally about answering questions on the car's even though I bought it elsewhere, do you think? It's a dealer in Winchester called Kings?
Roy