Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599417

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2017, 15:52   #1661
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The incorrect oil *may* have a marginal impact upon economy if it is a very heavyweight oil and it might cause an issue in really low temperatures if the used 10w40 or similar but for all reasonable use within UK you won’t notice any difference.

There is every probability that the Honda stock oil is the same as the Volvo stock oil as all companies have fine tolerance engines and they want to minimise friction as the impact is the same whichever make of engine you have
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 16:24   #1662
Gilesme

Default Vw...

On my old VW, i think their diesel spec oil was "low ash" to generate less crud should it get burnt.

Mine was fine, but apparently VW deem 1 litre / 1k driven as "acceptable" !
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 20:02   #1663
aidanthomson

The engine light came on in my 2015 V60 at lunch today. Called Volvo Assistance who have recovered the car to local dealer. Won’t find out till Monday. Have been given a rental car even though the car hasn’t been seen by the dealership as yet. All done within 2 hours which is pretty impressive.
aidanthomson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 21:35   #1664
Goose77

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
Good news about the EGR.

I doubt that the wrong oil will actually damage anything. However, it may throw up odd / unusual readings from the electronic dipstick (which you experienced), as Volvo is careful to specify a special 0W20 ultra-low friction oil, and the sensors in the engine that read oil quality etc will be designed with the viscosity and flow characteristics of this oil in mind.

I have no idea what type of oil Honda specifies for its diesel engines but I doubt it's 0W20 grade. It's worth giving the Honda dealer you bought the car from a grilling on this, after all they've not had to do anything to help you with the EGR fix.

I would get them to confirm to you - in writing - that they used oil and filter to Volvo's spec.
Update:

Volvo carried out the work (EGR unit and hoses replacement) approx 1 month out of manufacturer warranty. I've had the car back for around 2 weeks so it's early days but all seems well so far.

A couple of points to note - the car drives with no noticeable driving performance difference in comparison to before the work was carried out. However, the MPG seems a little lower but I'm stuck in traffic a lot in the short time since the fix.

The burning/diesel smell in the cabin that I mentioned in earlier posts has became worse, it seems to be at it's strongest in the rear of the vehicle. I've contacted Volvo and they want to take a look. I noticed today that the cabin heater was not able to give out very hot air when at it's maximum setting, this is making me think the smell may be related to a heater core issue. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Regards
Goose77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 15:03   #1665
CathSom

Default Expertise Required ! EGR + exhaust manifold.

Hello. I bought an XC60 in August 2016 ( registered July 2014) from a non volvo dealer. In January 2017 the warning light came on and the local volvo dealer carried out the EGR replacement under warranty. In Sep 2017 the light came on again and the O2 sensor was cleaned - no charge as just out of warranty. The service man did say that other problems had come to light following the EGR fix.
Yesterday the light has come on again, the volvo garage are going to charge me £500 ( reduced by goodwill from £800) for an exhaust manifold as the current one is clogged up. Does anyone know if this is likely to be as a direct result of the new EGR that was fitted ? The car is out of warranty so why offer a goodwill payment if this was normal. Any technical advice or similar experiences out there ? It does have a volvo FSH.
CathSom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 16:49   #1666
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathSom View Post
Hello. I bought an XC60 in August 2016 ( registered July 2014) from a non volvo dealer. In January 2017 the warning light came on and the local volvo dealer carried out the EGR replacement under warranty. In Sep 2017 the light came on again and the O2 sensor was cleaned - no charge as just out of warranty. The service man did say that other problems had come to light following the EGR fix.
Yesterday the light has come on again, the volvo garage are going to charge me £500 ( reduced by goodwill from £800) for an exhaust manifold as the current one is clogged up. Does anyone know if this is likely to be as a direct result of the new EGR that was fitted ? The car is out of warranty so why offer a goodwill payment if this was normal. Any technical advice or similar experiences out there ? It does have a volvo FSH.
I would think it would be an Inlet manifold rather than an exhaust manifold .
do you have it serviced at the volvo dealer ? You need to make sure it has the latest engine software .
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 23:27   #1667
Mateusz LKR

Hi guys!

I got to know the topic. The EGR cooler dealer has replaced but the error EGR goes on again.
I saw the repair photos, but could someone tell me what part numbers are needed? what exactly is the last amendment for EGR?
car: Volvo V60 D4 VEA My2015

Sorry for my english
Mat
Mateusz LKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 15:56   #1668
K5 Gus

Well, after 25,000 trouble free miles, I may be about to join this club.

Twice yesterday, on starting from cold, engine was really rough and lumpy, and I had almost no power, like what I imagine limp mode would be. Got the turtle and "Reduced Engine Performance" message on dash, then after about quarter of a mile message goes out and full power restored and all OK.

Does this sound like EGR ?

I'm not totally convinced as I recall a lot of you had CEL stay illuminated, not go out after a minute or so, and don't recall any ( but it's been a long thread, too long to read it all ) loss of performance. Did anyone get brief loss of power ?

All OK today, no turtle or loss of power. A lot milder today than yesterday, is the problem exacerbated by cold ?

My nearest dealer is a 90 mile round trip, so not an easy case of taking it in for them to check for any codes. I will be passing on Friday on my way to visit parents for Christmas, so may see if I can book a slot then, unless of course things become worse in the meantime.

Really hope there is no permanent limp-mode, I need the car over Christmas.........
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 16:54   #1669
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Well, after 25,000 trouble free miles, I may be about to join this club.

Twice yesterday, on starting from cold, engine was really rough and lumpy, and I had almost no power, like what I imagine limp mode would be. Got the turtle and "Reduced Engine Performance" message on dash, then after about quarter of a mile message goes out and full power restored and all OK.

Does this sound like EGR ?

I'm not totally convinced as I recall a lot of you had CEL stay illuminated, not go out after a minute or so, and don't recall any ( but it's been a long thread, too long to read it all ) loss of performance. Did anyone get brief loss of power ?

All OK today, no turtle or loss of power. A lot milder today than yesterday, is the problem exacerbated by cold ?

My nearest dealer is a 90 mile round trip, so not an easy case of taking it in for them to check for any codes. I will be passing on Friday on my way to visit parents for Christmas, so may see if I can book a slot then, unless of course things become worse in the meantime.

Really hope there is no permanent limp-mode, I need the car over Christmas.........
If rough running of the engine is noticed this is likely to be the EGR VALVE sticking open , they modified the valve a year or so ago , so it would be simply fitting a new modified valve .
This is not attached to the EGR COOLER problem , but a separate fault .
With the cooler problem you tend to get the engine light on long before any running issues are noticed . Limp mode is a smooth drive but just enough power to get you to about 50 mph .
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 17:21   #1670
K5 Gus

Thanks Clan, a follow up question if I may.

Could it have been a one-off ( ok twice in a day, but you know what I mean ), or is it likely to continue on and off and/or get worse ? Should I take it in and get it checked or wait to see if it re-occurs ?