Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Two really annoying oversights/omissions on the S90

Views : 2551

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 09:45   #31
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
So you both agree Pilot Assist is for times when your driving skills lapse or you fall asleep at the wheel and Lane Assist steers the car for you but wonders.
Yes he explained how you should drive but leaves the impression that both the above statements are fact. I stand by my post gentlemen.
Sorry you are wrong again, it is the very opposite to what you are saying, you are mixing up pilot assist (PA2) with lane keeping assist.
PA2 is a self driving aid that as well as using radar cruise control also steers the car and keeps it in the middle of the lane and will maintain a safe distance from any other vehicle.
PA2 brakes accelerates and steers the car automatically the same way as the driver would as long as the driver keeps his hands on the steering wheel and you have to remain alert ready to react for any reason or if PA2 drops out.
If you do not keep your hands on the wheel it gives a warning and PA2 drops out if you do not re-apply steering. The car will slow down and stop if you fail to do so.
It is not for lapses in driving skills or if you fall asleep. Its for use when fully alert.

The part I agreed with in earlier post is this forum is not for posting lectures to other members but for advice help and information.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 16th, 2018 at 09:48.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 11:33   #32
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Sorry you are wrong again, it is the very opposite to what you are saying, you are mixing up pilot assist (PA2) with lane keeping assist.
PA2 is a self driving aid that as well as using radar cruise control also steers the car and keeps it in the middle of the lane and will maintain a safe distance from any other vehicle.
PA2 brakes accelerates and steers the car automatically the same way as the driver would as long as the driver keeps his hands on the steering wheel and you have to remain alert ready to react for any reason or if PA2 drops out.
If you do not keep your hands on the wheel it gives a warning and PA2 drops out if you do not re-apply steering. The car will slow down and stop if you fail to do so.
It is not for lapses in driving skills or if you fall asleep. Its for use when fully alert.

The part I agreed with in earlier post is this forum is not for posting lectures to other members but for advice help and information.
I give in. I am quoting the Wrong Information given by the poster that I was desperately trying to correct to no avail it seems. At least thank you for agreeing with me at long last.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:35   #33
nu11eaf
Premier Member

J
Quote:
I give in. I am quoting the Wrong Information given by the poster that I was desperately trying to correct to no avail it seems. At least thank you for agreeing with me at long last.
I appologise, the way your post was written it looks like you were saying the same thing as OP, it looked like (and I mistakenly thought it was him) saying the same thing.
I was just providing him with the correct information re PA2. As you were earlier.

And I was agreeing with an earlier post about not using the site for lecturing people. Especially about driving ability. We do'nt need that, most people on here are very sensible drivers and aware, lecturing can get some peoples hackles up and can potentually lead to abuse. Which spoils the thread.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 16th, 2018 at 12:44.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 15:21   #34
Bernard F

Quote:
J

I appologise, the way your post was written it looks like you were saying the same thing as OP, it looked like (and I mistakenly thought it was him) saying the same thing.
I was just providing him with the correct information re PA2. As you were earlier.

And I was agreeing with an earlier post about not using the site for lecturing people. Especially about driving ability. We do'nt need that, most people on here are very sensible drivers and aware, lecturing can get some peoples hackles up and can potentually lead to abuse. Which spoils the thread.
Thank you I am glad we are now on the same wavelength.
In my defence it’s never my intention to lecture anyone however in this instance I looked upon it as possibly saving his life as he stated he let the car steer itself and wander between the white lines when relying on lane assist. I will refrain from similar remarks in the future.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 15:49   #35
Stunts

So, I have now confirmed that my suspicion was correct; the main central display and dash are not dimmed during the day when your headlights are on, neither does the ambient lighting activate. Therefore there are no reliable indicators within the passenger compartment telling me that my dipped beam is operating. It would be terribly annoying if one were to manually put the dipped beam on during the day (in fog, for instance) and the dash and central display dim to the point of being illegible....
Stunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 16:39   #36
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you I am glad we are now on the same wavelength.
In my defence it’s never my intention to lecture anyone however in this instance I looked upon it as possibly saving his life as he stated he let the car steer itself and wander between the white lines when relying on lane assist. I will refrain from similar remarks in the future.
As I said before I think OP did not understand PA2 and mixed it up with and referred to lane keeping. Which is a fall back safety feature.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 16th, 2018 at 17:01.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 17:45   #37
Bernard F

Quote:
As I said before I think OP did not understand PA2 and mixed it up with and referred to lane keeping. Which is a fall back safety feature.
I have my doubts, I wish the OP would tell us what he actually meant. I use Pilot Assist often on motorways and A roads. The line of steering is rock steady centre lane it never wanders. Trying to take your hands off the steering just using Lane Assist would undoubtedly cause the car to wander. I think he certainly mixed them up but in an actual dangerous manor.