Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s40 clean up project.... ADDICTED....

Views : 981

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2007, 02:19   #1
mharriso
Master Member

Thumbs up s40 clean up project.... ADDICTED....

OK, so 4 weeks from getting the car the following has been done:-
Tried attaching pics but no go.. soz...

MECHANICAL:-
Replace Oil, air & fuel filters, plugs, Oil & coolant
Replace steering boots & CV boots
Replace vac hoses, perished.....
Remove exhaust air divert sytem & resonator from airbox (never cold here)
Repair air injection shut off valve...tks super glue
Fit -35mm springs, repack strut bearings & remove mass damper on struts 3kg each !!!
remove exhaust mass damper; 1kg... does nowt given the test drive
Clean and lube brake callipers fr & rr
4 new tyres... (store screwed up and billed for 2!!!)
Replace washer jets with mist type....great mod and cheap
Re-set ECU to default (battery disconnect 1 hour ) fixed auto box off throttle run on, make sure you have your radio code though... drives great now..$0

COSMETIC:-
Exterior wash, cut wax, stnd wax exterior. jet wash underside. bumper care all trim.
Interior wash shampoo carpet & upholstery & white spirits clean all trims.
Degrease & wash engine bay twice! Degrease & wash wheel arches, brakes & suspension fr & rr.
Recon alloys; degreaser x2 alloy wheel cleaner x2 wash x1 wax x1.... !!!
Clean glass in and out & polish front glass.
Remove, clean, lube & refit all panels; dash & center console (use silicon spray & grease on screw threads....remove squeaks)
Silicon spray and wipe all door seals
Clean and lube door higes and strikes.
Align door strikes to level doors
Align hood and boot for levelness
Replace all blown interior bulbs... (heater, light, combi meter and auto shift!!)
Replace broken electric arial....10 pounds for the mast!!! bargain
Remove rear headreast.. no passengers...can see out the back now..
Remove side mouldings... horror job!!! looks so much better now though...
Respray front grille vertical louvres...recommended... textured black anti chip bumper paint works great..
Respray wheel alloy center caps silver, use heaps of clear coat...
Remove 2.0l badge from rear panel.. who cares when everyone else here has 6litre v8's.....nutters
Remove all dealers stickers and plate surrounds....
Remove redundant seatbelt & net in boot.... never used.....
Remove mudflaps... look pants and stop the jack getting in from the side....
Remove road triangle (there's confidence..it will bite me on the butt....)

OK so why tell you all this... well reading this site inspired me to do it all, so a BIG thankyou.......maybe it will inspire others to do likewause, and even give some idea;'s to those wondering what's possible without big spend...
It has been alot of hard work, but i now have a car i am proud of.

Amazingly all the bits taken off have saved 15kgs....(think of the fuel saving?!) Total cost approx 400 pounds.....(includes all service parts to date)

I want my life back now please, so i am going to calm down....by order of my wife. That said still need?!?! to ...

Replace the auto shift nob (breakers..)
Do the aux and cam belts & tensioner.
Brake bleed.
Trans oil replace
Alignment now the new springs are on.
Remove EGR and air pump system.
Tint the glass.
Sort the scratches on the nearside.

Then i will be done..maybe..does it ever end????

Plugs, air filter, fuel filter,
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:54   #2
manoman48
Master Member

First of all well done, thats a lot of work that has probably made a huge difference to the enjoyment of your car and for not a great deal of money!

I have had mine a few weeks now and am working through a similar list of work. I have a couple of questions if you can help me out.

MECHANICAL:-
Replace washer jets with mist type....great mod and cheap

Where did you get these from?

COSMETIC:-
Interior wash shampoo carpet & upholstery & white spirits clean all trims

Did you do anything about the rubebrised coating on all the knobs? Mine look a bit scratched up where this coating has come off and although I know white spirits will take it off eventually, do you have a quicker method?

Degrease & wash engine bay twice! Degrease & wash wheel arches, brakes & suspension fr & rr.

What degreaser and method did you use to do this?

Recon alloys; degreaser x2 alloy wheel cleaner x2 wash x1 wax x1.... !!!

What wax did you use on your alloys?

Silicon spray and wipe all door seals

Any particular brand of spray and what effect does it have?

Respray front grille vertical louvres...recommended... textured black anti chip bumper paint works great..

Not sure what you mean by this grille? Can you be more specific about where it is?

Remove road triangle (there's confidence..it will bite me on the butt....)

Fancy selling me a road triangle? LOL
manoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:18   #3
Jonathan Stonehouse

Question Resetting ECU

Hello

Is this a tuning step.
Does resetting to default remove restrictions?

Jon
Jonathan Stonehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 00:49   #4
mharriso
Master Member

Ok here goes with the answers,

re re-setting the ECU,
No not tuning, just restoring factory default settings.
It appears the engine ecu and auto shift ECU adjust either to fuel / driver.
If you change either, i.e. new owner and drive different, you may not like the way it drives, hence restore default and start over.
NOTE:- have your radio code before disconnect.....

RE the cosmetic questions.....
Washer jets, are phase 2 just get from any volvo dealer....about 6pounds each...

Rubber coating, bl##dy annoying.. i used whitespiritsto get it off the door pulls... (look so much better..) but i admit i haven't removed it from all switches... cleaned but not removed... so mine still havelight scratches...
re this whole job none of it had a quick method (except the side mouldings.. ask if you want detail...)

Engine bay degrease... just got industrial degreaser in a 5l tub. Then mixed it 50% with water... and put into an old domestic sprayer (surface spray.) Then apply to engine bay (caution around electrics, injectors, alternator, plugs, cils, fuse box etc...) Then out comes the toothbrush!!! get scrubbing....re-apply degreaser as you go.... once done leave for 10 mins...(cold engine), then rinse off with hose pipe (you will now have crap all over the floor...)
Once the worst of it is off, then get the normal car wash and go again....
Depending on how dirty, repeat the above....(mine had 9 year sof crap and x4 CV boots worth of grease everywhere...).
Once done remove you spark plug caps and check no water, if so dry with kitchen towels..roll up to a point to get down the sides..... and spray a little WD40 anywhere electrical...also a little grease on the throttle cable / battery terminals, and any exposed earth bolt points... body / transmission... also lube the hood hinges and damper rod....
Allow to dry in air for a while, then start the engine.. run for 10 mins or so and then let it dry itself... DONE....
Feel free to do whell arches and front and rear suspension too with the wheels out....clean brakes afterwards with stanadrd brake cleaner....
Also if you are worried about the anti rust coat then once this is all done, consider reapplying to underside....degreaser can partially remove the wax coat...

RE the alloys, i just jused regular car wax, the brand was Meguiars... it is just paint after all...BUT you can get a coating from shops which apparently stops brake dust sticking etc..haven't tried it, and i awill probably just stick with regular car wax....don't get it on the discs if you apply when wheels are fitted...

Ref the door seals.. any brand of silicon spray will do ( I am in Oz so probably different available anyway), other than making the seal shiny and black again..main reason.... can stop them squeaking... it also makes instalation when new easier (we used it in the factory on most rubber components to ease assembly..bushes seals etc....)

Grille... ok its the chromed plastic bit with the Volvo emblem on it in-between your headlights.. emblem is held on with x4 clips.. prise off carefuly... left with x1 moulding... if you want to preserve theexternal perimeter chrome, [B]then only sand the vertical slats...time consuming... use a medium sand paper gently.wrapped around an allen key seems to work.... too much cut cn make the surface too rough to get a good finish depending on the paint you use and no of coats...., then degrease (white spirits), and mask up the perimeter (to keep original chrome..) take your time here to get the line smooth and clean... especially in each corner...
Then spray.. affore mentioned "bumper paint: gave a great scratch resistant finish without the need to prime / etch.....check out plasti-coat in the UK...
Mate if you wanna pay the freight & packaing from oz then the triangle is yours.. still cheaper to go to halfords and get one there though...
No use here anyway cos the aussies will just run over it anyway....

Hope this helps......
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote