Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission Flush - Completed

Views : 851

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2018, 08:14   #1
Dxthomas

Default Transmission Flush - Completed

Carried out a Gibbons method flush on my 2007 D5 yesterday.

First time I've ever done anything like this. Pleased to report that it all went to plan - except for some lost skin and the fact that I stupidly forgot to replace the drain plug washer when I had it out during the initial sump drain - doh!

I'd recommend anyone with even a modicum of spanner skills to give it a go. My previous experience of diy mechanics on cars is zero. Plenty of detailed "how to" guides make it all very easy to do - including purchasing all the specific tools (i.e. those which your household toolbox doesn't contain).

As well as all the helpful info on this forum, I also found the following write-up very informative: http://www.timthurber.com/volvo-xc90...-80sc-6-speed/

I bought all new clips / gaskets / o-rings from FRF, and used about 16l of Mobil ATF 3309. Nice and cherry-red at the end.

Used VIDA to check fluid temp (55 deg) before final fluid check - and then reset the fluid quality counter.

Only odd thing was that the car stalled every time - when I was cycling through the gears during each flush. I'm guessing it must be something to do with the air intake system which I dismantled to get access to the fill plug.

My forever enduring wife has just asked that she also get special mention for helping with the flushing part of this - which she wasn't best pleased about, as she had a million and one other things to do in the house (like watching Master Chef or Britains Got Talent...I suspect!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2207.JPG (289.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2208.JPG (302.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Dxthomas; May 13th, 2018 at 08:38.
Dxthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 08:53   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Good man! Your car was probably stalling because you had bypassed the airflow meter I suspect. Nothing to worry about. Does it feel any better though?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 09:28   #3
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Yep, stallings normal while the air pipes off affecting the MAF I suspect.
When I changed my six speed box oil I didn't have Vida and relied on the box adapting itself, that works but I recommend reseting the adaptions if your box is not smooth or lurches between gears when hot.
My car almost instantly improved after resetting adaptions.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 10:17   #4
Dxthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Good man! Your car was probably stalling because you had bypassed the airflow meter I suspect. Nothing to worry about. Does it feel any better though?
I haven't driven it yet. It was feeling pretty good anyway - especially for a car with 190,000 miles. It's service history shows at least one previous ATF fluid change.

I will take it to London this week - good run to see if I notice any difference.
Old May 13th, 2018, 10:21   #5
Dxthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
Yep, stallings normal while the air pipes off affecting the MAF I suspect.
When I changed my six speed box oil I didn't have Vida and relied on the box adapting itself, that works but I recommend reseting the adaptions if your box is not smooth or lurches between gears when hot.
My car almost instantly improved after resetting adaptions.

I'm in a bit of quandary as to whether or not to reset the adaptions. There seems to be mixed opinions. A lot of people seem to suggest that the box will automatically adapt anyway? I've decided I'll run the car for a week or two and see how I get on.
Old May 13th, 2018, 12:32   #6
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Good job Dxthomas.... I do love it when people take the plunge with confidence and 'have a go'.

Kudos to you
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 13:24   #7
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

When I changed my fluid a couple of weeks ago I cleared the counters and the box and but did not go through a readaptation . Twice I've done this now, once on the xc70 and now the 90. The box has quickly relearnt by itself and definitely felt better.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 14:37   #8
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxthomas View Post
I'm in a bit of quandary as to whether or not to reset the adaptions. There seems to be mixed opinions. A lot of people seem to suggest that the box will automatically adapt anyway? I've decided I'll run the car for a week or two and see how I get on.
It's only the adaptions memory you would need to wipe, not go through the adaptions relearn process.
My box was very unhappy and grumbly after an oil change without resetting adaptions, it was flaring and hard changing but it did improve dramatically after a few days. I think clearing the adaptions would have improved it right away.
But you are ok to try it without any reset, just the oil counter needs resetting.
Saved yourself about £300 on dealer prices there!

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luggsey For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:12   #9
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Yup - that is the same colour my oil was after 90,000 miles - yuk!

Just used vida to reset the counter and all sweet - I think I caught mine just in time, another 10-20,000 miles and sure would have begun to get sticky solenoids. Crazy that the filter was taken out
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote