Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Space Saver

Views : 1182

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 09:26   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
Just on the note of skinny spares, a different poster on another thread made a point that if you got a puncture on a front wheel you should swap one of the rear tyres for the punctured front and put the skinny spare on the rear. Maybe you all know that and I apologise if you do, but i thought it a good point.
Hmmmmm don’t agree with that advice at all.... I would rather have a car prone to understeer than oversteer. Whilst a FWD car may behave oddly with a space saver on the front - that just serves as a reminder that it’s a get you home spare and not to go above 50mph and drive gently. Any suggestion that having it on the front will damage the differential is unfounded.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 17:13   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Space Saver on XC70 down right dangerous.

Daughter has 2011 XC70 D5 2.4. Front left puncture of nearly new Nokian a while ago. (something through the sidewall ). Fortunately only a couple of miles from home. Supplied space saver fitted. Car handled like a drunken camel with three legs. So much so that we ordered a cheap full size omni-directional tyre locally and fitted it until a new Nokian arrived.
I do not know how she would have managed if she had had the caravan in tow and miles from anywhere. So called "Space Savers" should really be named "Waste of Spacers"
The load area is already fully occupied by a bespoke crash proof dog transit box.
I'm now trying to source a reasonable condition used full size wheel to fit the "spare" tyre on but not sure where to stow it.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 20:33   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

If you come up with a good idea, let us all know. I hate the space saver nearly as much as the "no spare just a can of gunk" system that the car originally had!
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 09:16   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Daughter has 2011 XC70 D5 2.4. Front left puncture of nearly new Nokian a while ago. (something through the sidewall ). Fortunately only a couple of miles from home. Supplied space saver fitted. Car handled like a drunken camel with three legs. So much so that we ordered a cheap full size omni-directional tyre locally and fitted it until a new Nokian arrived.
I do not know how she would have managed if she had had the caravan in tow and miles from anywhere. So called "Space Savers" should really be named "Waste of Spacers"
They are a get you home spare, limited to 50 mph. If you stay under that, keep both hands on the wheel and use sensible level of throttle they are "acceptable". If towing a caravan I would probably keep the speed even lower.

So whilst they are not ideal, they're infinitely better than waiting 3 hours for the AA and a night in a Travel Lodge whilst they get you a new tyre at x2 the cost.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 22:55   #15
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
So whilst they are not ideal, they're infinitely better than waiting 3 hours for the AA and a night in a Travel Lodge whilst they get you a new tyre at x2 the cost.
But nowhere as good as a ready to go full size spare that lets you not only complete your journey but allows you to continue to use the car for as long and as much as if you'd never had a flat tyre. And all for a foolish design in the load compartment underspace. The concept that a simple puncture should write off the tyre because you filled it with the only option gunk is more than bloody stupid. Before Ford, did Volvo not supply a full size spare?
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 23:20   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
But nowhere as good as a ready to go full size spare that lets you not only complete your journey but allows you to continue to use the car for as long and as much as if you'd never had a flat tyre. And all for a foolish design in the load compartment underspace. The concept that a simple puncture should write off the tyre because you filled it with the only option gunk is more than bloody stupid. Before Ford, did Volvo not supply a full size spare?
Ford introduced many stupid cost cutting measures.... but this is not one of them. My 1989 440 Turbo had a space saver...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 10:25   #17
Tatsfield
Premier Member

It wasn't a space saver that infuriated me, it was the only option can of gunk stored in a spare wheel shaped recess in the under floor space! And the gunk destroys the tyer in which it is sued!. I wanted to buy a full size spare but it doesn't fit in the recess and so I have settled for the space saver. I cannot believe that in the depths of winter Swedes in the far north of their country rely on either of these two deficient methods of dealing with a flat tyre. I'm still looking for a reasonable way of storing a full size spare.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 13:35   #18
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Agree with Tatsfield.

A space saver is, and always was, a stupid idea and a can of gunk is even more stupid. Modern cars are laden with computer monitored clever ideas, stability control, hill descent, sport or comfort modes, blind spot warning, parking assist, 360 degree cameras, autonomous parking. All very clever and possibly useful, depending on you point of view, but not really essential to keep you going.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 09:00   #19
Teilo1979
V70 R Design D4 MY2013

I managed to get a space saver from a pre 08 XC70 and I got a spigot ring to take up the centre bore difference.

Test fitted it and all is good, hopefully I'll never need it but I'm sure if I do, it will be more than adequate to get me too safety.

Terry
Teilo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 09:38   #20
Steff79

Good news Teilo.

I managed to find a '14 space saver complete with the foam bit in the middle, jack, brace etc for £40 from a gent on Gumtree. I thought the fact that he is in Dorset and I'm in Manchester might be an issue but a courier was only £10.

So £50 all in for the complete package. Pretty happy with that
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote