Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1st Impressions of my new XC60 T5

Views : 9756

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 15:22   #41
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
What's a manual
I am sure it is owner’s manual that Simon is referring to.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 00:46   #42
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Yes. Have the dealer pick me up at 8 am on Monday. What's a manual
Yay! Enjoy it. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I am told mine is now in the country. Can't wait.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 13:01   #43
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Default 1 week update on my new XC60 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
After a 5 month gestation period, my new XC60 T5 Inscription Pro finally arrived yesterday.

Initial impressions after one day are that Volvo have definitely made a massive upmarket change with this new model and having owned two previous 1st Generation XC60 D5’s this model is more than an equal for the Germanic BMW/Audi’s ranges.

I am mighty impressed and believe Volvo have a world beater with this 2nd Generation XC60 range and honestly cannot find anything to fault the car so far which for me as a perfectionist is a surprise.......!!!
So after my 1st week of ownership I thought I had better come back & post an update which I have put onto 3 groups as a direct comparison to my previous MY16 XC60 D5.

1. Better than Expected.
a). The T5 engine is awesome and so willing though not yet fully tested as obviously still treating her gently for the 1st 1,000 miles. BUT I do miss the grunt sound of the D5 exhaust under load.......if that makes sense!
b). PA. Was not sure what to expect here but after the 1st 10 miles of trying to fight against it's placement of the car in the "centre" of the carriageway v my normal instinct to place the car slightly to the right of the carriageway, we kind of came to a mutual compromising this weekend on a long return drive to Bristol as long as you understand that it's to "ASSIST" you and the principles of how it works then you can get on together.
I have learnt that:
i). Do not use it on the narrow M5 roadworks section around Birmingham as the right hand carriageway's right side is marked by Orange Reflective Markers which obviously the camera does not see as a white line.
ii). Be wary of central carriageway markings that have the white markings laid on top of shiny black tar that in bright sunshine obscures the white liane marking.
c). HUD. Makes driving especially navigation so much easier as everything critical to you is straight there in direct line of vision.
d). HK sound. Without a doubt this is the best in-car sound system I have experienced, the sounds are so clear, bright & vibrant across all types of genres.
e). Touch Interface. As an avid iPad user I was concerned that the experience would be a let down in comparison, but I was blown away by the logical planning & programming of this interface - very easy to use and adapt to your own personnel tastes (Though would prefer to have say 2 user programmable buttons for my frequently used options)
f). VOC Auto-start from the App. Much simpler to operate that I was expecting with just one user variable being the 'No of Minutes' - as Autumn frosts return will come in useful when going back to a cold car from a nice warm restaurant!
g). Sat Nav. I think the latest HERE Sat Nav interface is a distinct improvement from my previous Sensus system especially with the updated graphics and integrated Speed Camera sites, etc.

2. Reserve Judgement
a). Apple CarPlay. I must admit I have a feeling of wondering just what I am getting from this feature.......
I have a lot of music which I play in car from an Apple iTouch permanently plugged into the non-carplay USB socket, so when my iPhone is plugged in I am failing see what additional features I am getting.
I have not used Google Maps due to all the known limitations and lack of interface into the car displays/HUD, nor do I use the media apps as I have my iTouch. In fact the only use so far has been using TuneIn Internet radio (NME 1) as the data consumption comes off my iPhone contract v my lower GB Car Sim limit contact.
Maybe being a Techie I felt I must just have it in case it gets a makeover next year......!!

3. Room for Improvement.
a). Voice Control is a definite WIP or is it wrong to compare it against the likes of Siri/Alexa were all the voice processing is performed on their respective servers v the limited processing that can be performed by the car's own little "computer" . Suppose it's a case of comparing Apples v Pears but still wanting Apples....

So after our 1st week of living together we are getting on really well and have already formed a good working relationship.

Crockers - As you are collecting your very similar spec'd car today, I would be interested to hear what your thoughts are?
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 13:50   #44
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
So after my 1st week of ownership I thought I had better come back & post an update which I have put onto 3 groups as a direct comparison to my previous MY16 XC60 D5.

1. Better than Expected.
a). The T5 engine is awesome and so willing though not yet fully tested as obviously still treating her gently for the 1st 1,000 miles. BUT I do miss the grunt sound of the D5 exhaust under load.......if that makes sense!
b). PA. Was not sure what to expect here but after the 1st 10 miles of trying to fight against it's placement of the car in the "centre" of the carriageway v my normal instinct to place the car slightly to the right of the carriageway, we kind of came to a mutual compromising this weekend on a long return drive to Bristol as long as you understand that it's to "ASSIST" you and the principles of how it works then you can get on together.
I have learnt that:
i). Do not use it on the narrow M5 roadworks section around Birmingham as the right hand carriageway's right side is marked by Orange Reflective Markers which obviously the camera does not see as a white line.
ii). Be wary of central carriageway markings that have the white markings laid on top of shiny black tar that in bright sunshine obscures the white liane marking.
c). HUD. Makes driving especially navigation so much easier as everything critical to you is straight there in direct line of vision.
d). HK sound. Without a doubt this is the best in-car sound system I have experienced, the sounds are so clear, bright & vibrant across all types of genres.
e). Touch Interface. As an avid iPad user I was concerned that the experience would be a let down in comparison, but I was blown away by the logical planning & programming of this interface - very easy to use and adapt to your own personnel tastes (Though would prefer to have say 2 user programmable buttons for my frequently used options)
f). VOC Auto-start from the App. Much simpler to operate that I was expecting with just one user variable being the 'No of Minutes' - as Autumn frosts return will come in useful when going back to a cold car from a nice warm restaurant!
g). Sat Nav. I think the latest HERE Sat Nav interface is a distinct improvement from my previous Sensus system especially with the updated graphics and integrated Speed Camera sites, etc.

2. Reserve Judgement
a). Apple CarPlay. I must admit I have a feeling of wondering just what I am getting from this feature.......
I have a lot of music which I play in car from an Apple iTouch permanently plugged into the non-carplay USB socket, so when my iPhone is plugged in I am failing see what additional features I am getting.
I have not used Google Maps due to all the known limitations and lack of interface into the car displays/HUD, nor do I use the media apps as I have my iTouch. In fact the only use so far has been using TuneIn Internet radio (NME 1) as the data consumption comes off my iPhone contract v my lower GB Car Sim limit contact.
Maybe being a Techie I felt I must just have it in case it gets a makeover next year......!!

3. Room for Improvement.
a). Voice Control is a definite WIP or is it wrong to compare it against the likes of Siri/Alexa were all the voice processing is performed on their respective servers v the limited processing that can be performed by the car's own little "computer" . Suppose it's a case of comparing Apples v Pears but still wanting Apples....

So after our 1st week of living together we are getting on really well and have already formed a good working relationship.

Crockers - As you are collecting your very similar spec'd car today, I would be interested to hear what your thoughts are?
I know you have only just got the car , but you have probably just missed the new voice control update software , lots of improvements …

You do it yourself from here :

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...peech&csid=spa
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:19   #45
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I know you have only just got the car , but you have probably just missed the new voice control update software , lots of improvements …

You do it yourself from here :

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...peech&csid=spa
Clan, do you know specifically what any of the updates are? I'e installed a few VC updates over the last few years but never been able to determine any difference in my system.

:wq
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 15:11   #46
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Clan, do you know specifically what any of the updates are? I'e installed a few VC updates over the last few years but never been able to determine any difference in my system.

:wq
volvo rarely publish what their software updates do , But all it can do is add new commands and improve the recognition really .
certainly worth doing ..

note , you must keep the car running until the finished message comes up ,
you cannot turn the engine off, as it will not carry on later as per the maps ..
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 00:47   #47
Crockers
Premier Member

Picked mine up today (or the wife's to be more correct).
Noted the insurance was driver only so as soon as I was home whipped it over to NFU. They asked me is it the 250 or 258 bhp model. So with P* on it its the 258 model.

First impressions are its smooth,quiet and so comfortable. Played with the PA. Love it, but can relate to the placing of the car..I too drive more to the right.

Now its at the detailers so I get it back Wednesday evening for our trip to Liverpool when i'll be in a position to give a full feedback.

Haven't read the manual yet but found the voice control very good.

Noticed the HUD isn't too keen on my Maui Jims when the sun is bright.

Will give a more in depth write up with pics next week.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 02:21   #48
Parky12

Looking forward to further reviews especially of the T5, though we might have to wait a bit for that until the mileage builds up and some beans can be applied

Mussel Blue hey, was tempted with that over Denim
XC60 15MY 181 SE AWD Savile Grey (previous)

Last edited by Parky12; Sep 25th, 2018 at 02:23. Reason: extra comment
Parky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 12:15   #49
paulod

Picked mine up yesterday, really pleased with it. Just came back to an XC60 after a 2 year break and the difference from my 64 plate car to the new one is huge. Interior quality seems better on first impression and I previously had a D4 so the jump to a T5 is definitely noticeable.
Had a short blast last night and was looking at sub 20 mpg but on my 20 mile commute this morning, mainly dual carriageway at 70mph, I got a much better than expected 39mpg. More than happy with that, I wasn't pushing it nor going especially careful so it's nice to see that it can be achieved.

Now to spend the rest of the day getting used to sensus
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 12:26   #50
MaDProFF
Master Member

Day? try week
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote