Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flooded engine (broken down)

Views : 1648

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2018, 19:38   #1
Alpine

Default Flooded engine (broken down)

So I broke down the other day, first time I have ever done so in the middle of a busy road.

Pulling out onto a main road, I saw a gap so gave it a bit of throttle, but then decided the gap was too small so I hit the brake. But the engine then died and wouldn't re-start.

Luckily I was close to a garage so with their help I was pushed to there.

Was told the engine was flooded and the plugs had to be removed and dried out.

Is this likely to be a one off incident, because I accelerated and backed off quick, or is there likely to be a bigger problem somewhere?

Note mine is an auto not a manual. Cheers.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 19:45   #2
volvo again
Master Member

This sounds a bit strange to me, I don't think an engine can be flooded while it's running, trying to restart it could flood it.
A lot of questions...
Did the garage remove the plugs?
Were they wet with petrol?
Did it restart after?
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 19:56   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I agree with 'volvo again'. The most common cause of 'flooding' is continual cranking without the engine firing, more usual in my experience with carburettor fed engines - I don't think I've ever had a FI one flood on me.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 20:51   #4
dingov70
Master Member

"Flooded " ! more likely a wiring connection seperated when you braked suddenly . Before removing any parts / throwing money / having a hissy fit , my first port of call would be to plugin & read / delete any codes stored in the ECU .

If you have any code/s you will be a lot closer to a remedy , rather than groping in the dark for answers . Modern engines are nothing like as easy to fault find & rectify purely because of all the magic goblins under the bonnet working their magic ( or not )
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 23:02   #5
byootox
Premier Member

Faulty coolant sensor could cause over fueling and poor starting issues that you describe.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 23:39   #6
Alpine

thanks all, I will check the fault codes, although I think my reader is OBD2.

I'm pretty certain it was an over fueling issue, so maybe I need to do some searching as to the cause.

It did happen 8 months ago in a car park, and after I left it half an hour it started. It was a similar problem.

I wonder how the coolant sensor could cause over fueling?

cheers all
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 05:34   #7
Ninjabob81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
thanks all, I will check the fault codes, although I think my reader is OBD2.

I'm pretty certain it was an over fueling issue, so maybe I need to do some searching as to the cause.

It did happen 8 months ago in a car park, and after I left it half an hour it started. It was a similar problem.

I wonder how the coolant sensor could cause over fueling?

cheers all

Coolant temp sensor provides the ecu with temp data to allow the fueling to be richened in cold temps to assist starting/running. If it’s feeding duff data then the engine will be running extremely rich, causing bore wash, plug fouling etc.
Ninjabob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 08:26   #8
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byootox View Post
Faulty coolant sensor could cause over fueling and poor starting issues that you describe.
Very true. However, the coolant temperature sender on these cars is also the sender for the temperature guage, so if it's sending duff information you would expect to see an "odd" reading on the temp guage - it should be at the 3 o'clock position when hot, if it was anything else when the car failed then that's your culprit, but if it is/was reading correctly then it's a lot less likely.
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 09:39   #9
Dippydog
Premier Member

Could it be a failing crank position sensor?This would allow the engine to turn over but not start which might give the symptoms of a flooded engine?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 14:18   #10
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Could it be a failing crank position sensor?This would allow the engine to turn over but not start which might give the symptoms of a flooded engine?
Crank position sensor failure will give no spark AND no fuel, so unlikely to make the spark plugs wet when cranking.