Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car functionality.

Views : 3562

Replies : 115

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2019, 21:19   #111
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
I could respond point by point, Paul, however I'll just say that my post is the way I see it going. I did not say I agree with it, that it will be a good thing, that it will (or will not be) environmentally friendly, I see it as the way transport is changing.

I'd be interested in hearing how you see it, rather than the pros and cons.
You may well be right if we are sheeple rather than people. Again I recomend viewing some of Mark Blyth talks for his explination of the blind leading the blind.
When you realise that those in charge have no more idea of how to fix the ills of the country than the man in the moon you start to realy question the assumptions our society is built upon and their actions to right imaginary ills.

Blyth is an economist and social scientist and frankly if he is correct then we are stuffed big time as the policies being followed are based on inappropriate scenarios based on flawed research that asked the wrong questions then misinterpreted the results.

I belive that inertia will maintain its status quo. M4 relief road around Newport, talked about for 20 years still not decided. Wifa 2, Hinckley 2, 15 years of planning and the plug pulled. Now talk of rethinking energy policy ignoring the fact that an atomic power station takes at least 10 years to biuld with another 2 to comition. Then we will have a change of government and policies will be revised, add leaving EU and no regulation from ECJ into the mix and stacis will reign at least and untill more pressing matters like potholes are fixed.

Untill and unless I am forced not to then I'm keeping my diesel cars and driving them myself. Have no interest in new volvos as they are all autos so will never buy one, along with most if not all of their equals. What I have fulfils my needs, is baught and paid for, why would I want to change?

Paul.

Last edited by green van man; Jan 15th, 2019 at 21:21.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 21:36   #112
I Feel Old

Paul, are you posting in the right thread??

My post was not a political post and as tempted as I am to respond to your points directly, I will refrain.

Presently the change in transport is not being driven directly by governments and current policy, it's been driven by the likes of Elon Musk, Google and Uber.

There's nothing as constant as change! Just as well really or those asking why we should change would have us all still living in caves.

@ThomasG, have you been baiting again?
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 23:56   #113
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:

Presently the change in transport is not being driven directly by governments and current policy,
You didn't forget about ULEZ policy here, did you?

And no- no baiting.

Spectacting unless I can't stop myself (like now)

I'll only add that if it wasn't for too many things slowly giving in at once, I would happily keep my current wheels for years to come. Especially as its a petrol and for the time being- ULEZ compliant. Not for long, that's for sure..

Last edited by ThomasG; Jan 16th, 2019 at 00:01.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 00:26   #114
I Feel Old

Of course govt has policy that influences the motor industry, particularly relating to pollution and will continue to do so. However, you are also digressing from your original post re how the industry is progressing/regressing.

ULEZ; what's that got to do with how cars are acquired, whether users can fit a new radio, or being forced to use main dealers? Although modern ICEs comply, there's no need even for electric cars to comply.

That's a different topic.

Your post was about how the motor industry is developing re leasing, whether users will be forced to use main dealers, the role technology is playing…
I don't see any reference to political influences whether on environmental issues, or otherwise.

I responded to your post outlining how I foresee the future of transport and throwing in some of the areas I think there will be huge impact. Paul, for some reason, appears to believe I was making some argument for it to be so and that it was a good thing, and then went off on a tangent.

Last edited by I Feel Old; Jan 16th, 2019 at 00:29.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 07:47   #115
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Paul, are you posting in the right thread??

My post was not a political post and as tempted as I am to respond to your points directly, I will refrain.

Presently the change in transport is not being driven directly by governments and current policy, it's been driven by the likes of Elon Musk, Google and Uber.

There's nothing as constant as change! Just as well really or those asking why we should change would have us all still living in caves.

@ThomasG, have you been baiting again?
My point is that these changes are being driven by a system to improve proffit. There is no aulteristic reason behind them as their aim is to be first in the game to maximise the take.

As ever rules are made by politicians, politicians are "advised" by experts, wether self appointed or real, however few if any politicians have the knowlage to know the difference and their priority is to remain upon the gravy train, so they always have an eye to the next election and how any actions they take will impact their chances.
It is rules that control change whatever the drive and guess whom makes the rules.

Despite what the volvo owners club forum thinks, politics and life are inseparable .

As for why change. If the cave suits why the need, change is only needed when the cave no longer meets requirements. Change for change sake is unnecessary expence for little gain and that which you have not had you will not miss.

Of my 2 cars, one has air con one has not. The one with is dryer and a stable temp is more comfortable in hot summer weather, however the one without has other attributes that make it worthwhile and in fact air con would be a factor that reduced it's usefulness to me.
Wether cars have air-conditioning or not doesnot alter their primary function as transport..

That technology may make it possible, however it may not be desirable to all, is often seen as technology must be pursued because it's technology and new. Emporers new clothes syndrome.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 10:55   #116
I Feel Old

Ah, so you broadly agree with my view of how transport and the motor industry are/will change and the impact it will have throughout society.

It's nothing short of a 'transport revolution' on the horizon, IMO.

For me the big question is timing, since getting the Volvo and seeing the level of technology I see the capability is much closer than I realised. The infrastructure and transformation are going to be the challenge.