Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you use your air con?

Views : 10150

Replies : 108

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Do use air con...
Mostly always on all year. 171 73.39%
Only when it's really hot. 47 20.17%
No it does not work and not bothered about it. 8 3.43%
Uses to much fuel, open the window. 2 0.86%
It works but still never use it even if really hot. 5 2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19th, 2019, 12:17   #81
TimNiceBut

I didn't vote as there's no "Always on Auto" option, but that's my answer.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimNiceBut For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2019, 13:00   #82
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
I didn't vote as there's no "Always on Auto" option, but that's my answer.
I think that would come under "Mostly always on all year" as that's what the "AUTO" button is.

Something i'm curious about though, as a general thought. Those that voted "It works but still never use it even if really hot." - how do they know it works?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 18:08   #83
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think that would come under "Mostly always on all year" as that's what the "AUTO" button is.

Something i'm curious about though, as a general thought. Those that voted "It works but still never use it even if really hot." - how do they know it works?
Well to be honest, "mostly always" is a nonsensical term.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimNiceBut For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2019, 12:37   #84
FredGraham

Ok, never been a regular user of the A/C but reading the posts here I've stuck it on auto and we'll see how we go. However, and I'll admit this is a new experience for me, with the A/C on I can hear a loud click from the engine bay over the noise of the engine, regular every few seconds. I have no idea what this is other than perhaps the A/C compressor. Is this normal or may I have a fault. The click stops when the A/C is turned off.
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FredGraham For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2019, 13:01   #85
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGraham View Post
I can hear a loud click from the engine bay over the noise of the engine, regular every few seconds. I have no idea what this is other than perhaps the A/C compressor. Is this normal or may I have a fault. The click stops when the A/C is turned off.
It's the compressor clutch - it's electromagnetically operated so is either on or off, perfectly normal behaviour. It also shows the system is cycling on and off regularly which suggests it has enough gas in it, if it was low on gas (or you selected an extra low temperature) the clutch would remain engaged until the desired temperature was reached and then disengage.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 13:59   #86
FredGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
When aircon is turned "on", it isn't on all the time...... It's impossible for it to be "on" constantly so just leave aircon on or on auto dependant on your system and let it work as designed.
When it comes to climate control I'm a complete plonker so hopefully someone will be able to help me out. My car is a MY 2006 C70 T5 SE Lux, had about an hours drive this morning. So far the only journey's I've had to make since putting on the A/C & switching to auto have been short. Anyway started the car, blower full blast, temp set to 21 degrees. after 10 or 15 mins blower slowed down, ok there then, I thought. A bit longer into the drive, felt a bit chilly so temp. up to 25 degrees, once warmed up back to 21 degrees. Completed my round trip, traffic surprisingly light this morning, but at no point did the A/C switch off. Is this right or am I not understanding something else about this system?
The Following User Says Thank You to FredGraham For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:14   #87
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
When it comes to climate control I'm a complete plonker so hopefully someone will be able to help me out. My car is a MY 2006 C70 T5 SE Lux, had about an hours drive this morning. So far the only journey's I've had to make since putting on the A/C & switching to auto have been short. Anyway started the car, blower full blast, temp set to 21 degrees. after 10 or 15 mins blower slowed down, ok there then, I thought. A bit longer into the drive, felt a bit chilly so temp. up to 25 degrees, once warmed up back to 21 degrees. Completed my round trip, traffic surprisingly light this morning, but at no point did the A/C switch off. Is this right or am I not understanding something else about this system?
That's right, it's like switching your fridge on at home, it's on but the compressor switches on and off to maintain the temperature. Your car is certainly new enough to have a variable displacement compressor so you won't notice it switching on and off and even with the older style constant displacement compressor, you may not notice unless you hear the click or clunk from the compressor clutch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:19   #88
FredGraham

Quote:
That's right, it's like switching your fridge on at home, it's on but the compressor switches on and off to maintain the temperature. Your car is certainly new enough to have a variable displacement compressor so you won't notice it switching on and off and even with the older style constant displacement compressor, you may not notice unless you hear the click or clunk from the compressor clutch.
So even though the A/C switch is showing on (green light), it will actually be switching off and on?
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:42   #89
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
So even though the A/C switch is showing on (green light), it will actually be switching off and on?
Yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 16:55   #90
Maya80

Quote:
Yes.
Confirming this
Maya80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maya80 For This Useful Post: