Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How I fixed petrol smell....(bodge :)

Views : 1104

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:13   #1
48pop

Default How I fixed petrol smell....(bodge :)

Hi Folks,
Had a petrol smell eminating from boot when I got the car, It was the filler neck as has been discussed many times.

I used ......Bluetack......Cleaned up the back of the neck as best as I could and wrapped a thin cord of bluetack around the back.

I used this same "temporary" fix on a motorbike tank....its still there 5 years on....

Worked for me

CHeers
Gerry
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:19   #2
Fivehundred

Polyurethane sealer, like Tiger seal or Sikkaflex works a treat
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:33   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Have a look on the Frost website (www.frost.co.uk) as they have a few things available to seal tanks etc..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 13:57   #4
BillKat

Petrol dissolves bluetac; if we're talking joints and the joint doesn't need to flex, JB Weld or Devcon would be better, or Sikaflex etc as mentioned.
For sealing pinholes in a tank, Petseal or similar can be good but the tank needs a right swilling out first or it can lift (Frost sell a cleaner for the job). Some put nuts & bolts or even gravel in, and shake like mad (the tank that is, not the bloke...)
cheers
Bill
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 16:59   #5
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKat View Post
Petrol dissolves bluetac
It does indeed...

I used a lump of blu-tack to block the ports in the fuel tap on my bike while I made a new rubber sealing washer for it. It looked as if it was going to be OK at first but after a couple of minutes it had begun to dribble so I had to put a bucket under it, and by the time I'd finished making the washer it was coming out quite fast and I had half a bucket full of a mixture of petrol and dissolved blu-tack...

Of course I had to throw this away instead of pouring it back in the tank, as I didn't want the blu-tack coming out of solution and gumming up the carb. But it has to be said that disposing of a gallon of unwanted dirty petrol is both easy and fun

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 18:24   #6
48pop

Well......All I can say is that in my experience, (5yrs and counting), the Blutack is intact and shows no signs of melting. The hole on my bike is halfway down the tank.

On the Amazon, no petrol smell, 4 wks now.....

Did warn in the title it was a bodge
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 20:32   #7
BillKat

Each to his own, but why take the risk for the sake of a fiver's worth of something more permanent... Stray fag end, etc.
Try bluetac plus fuel, it turns into into a slime and eats it away. As does oil and WD40. Tried to make one of my quick cable oilers out of it (might post that, quick cheapo method) and soon found out 'twasn't the best idea I'd had that week,
cheers,
Bill
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 22:16   #8
mike gilbert
Master Member

Dunno about petrol melting Bluetack but I recommend it for filling gaps in and around the bulkhead where perhaps Dum Dum would have been used in the past (I can't find it anywhere now). It plugs up gaps where the pipes and wires etc go through the bulkhead and the rubber grommets are either missing or rock hard and useless. Cuts out a lot of engine noise. Can also be sqeezed in between the quarterlight and the chrome cover to cut down wind noise.
It also sticks your Volvo and Kylie Minogue posters to the bedroom wall a treat
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 22:48   #9
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKat View Post
Try bluetac plus fuel, it turns into into a slime and eats it away. As does oil and WD40. Tried to make one of my quick cable oilers out of it (might post that, quick cheapo method) and soon found out 'twasn't the best idea I'd had that week,
Funny, when I do that it lasts long enough to oil the cable without a problem... there's a bit of a weep but nothing significant compared to the dribble you get when you take it off. Maybe it's because I put the oil in first and then spray the WD40 into the puddle...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48pop View Post
Well......All I can say is that in my experience, (5yrs and counting), the Blutack is intact and shows no signs of melting. The hole on my bike is halfway down the tank.
Maybe they changed the formulation...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike gilbert View Post
It also sticks your Volvo and Kylie Minogue posters to the bedroom wall a treat
Volvo poster... check

Kylie Minogue poster

...Barclay James Harvest concert photo pass... ah, that's better

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 00:30   #10
BillKat

I ended up with a slimy mess, so went back to the usual method: bit of polythene, pull it over the cable like an umbrella and tape it. Pull back up to a 'funnel', tape again, no leaks etc. Maybe there's a decent gadget nowadays but I could never get on with cable oilers so been using the poly funnel thing. Or am I tight LOL