Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Self leveling lights.

Views : 498

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:54   #1
Filmer Paradise

Default Self leveling lights.

Hi folks.

I have a '08 V50 2l Diesel. I've been having problems with the headlights which I have mostly resolved.

One small issue remains however.

When I start the car the driver's side headlamp raises and lowers into position as it should. The left one does nothing.

Is this normal? Is it a problem? If it is can I fix it easily?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:51   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Likely the motor or linkage in the headlamp has failed

Very easy to fix using the official Volvo procedure: replace the headlamp assembly.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 22:38   #3
Filmer Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Likely the motor or linkage in the headlamp has failed

Very easy to fix using the official Volvo procedure: replace the headlamp assembly.
That sounds easy..........and expensive!

This is simply not the Filmer Paradise way.

I sort of fixed this problem by accident a couple of weeks ago.

The wife's car, an '08 S40 developed a fault in the indicator stalk. The right indicator sometimes went on when she used the main beams.

Her NCT (Irish MOT) was the next day, so a quick solution was needed.
I swapped indicator stalks from each of our cars.

It fixed her problem straight away. Funnily enough when I fitted the faulty indicator switch to my car both headlights self adjusted on startup.

This leads me to think that the motors in the lights are fine.

Could there be another problem in the system somewhere?
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 17:19   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmer Paradise View Post
That sounds easy..........and expensive!

...and may also not solve the problem so yea, hold on to your wallet and dont order 500e per-side part just yet.

from what you describe you have xenons as only those do the self-levelling dance. Its possible that levelling motor is a culprit, but it may also be a ballast part (IIRC its responsible for calibration/levelling) or sensor part. Its important to figure out first if the light "wants to calibrate itself" but cant or its not getting a "calibration" signal at all.

High beam stalk should have no effect on the issue whatsoever - I would opinionate its a coincidence, unless oem xenon cars have really weird setup.
Microswitches in stalks often goes bad so thats not anything new, but IMHO it shouldnt affect calibration procedure.

I suspect you dont have Vida+Dice ? it could easily narrow down the possible cause.
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 17:57   #5
Filmer Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
...and may also not solve the problem so yea, hold on to your wallet and dont order 500e per-side part just yet.

from what you describe you have xenons as only those do the self-levelling dance. Its possible that levelling motor is a culprit, but it may also be a ballast part (IIRC its responsible for calibration/levelling) or sensor part. Its important to figure out first if the light "wants to calibrate itself" but cant or its not getting a "calibration" signal at all.

High beam stalk should have no effect on the issue whatsoever - I would opinionate its a coincidence, unless oem xenon cars have really weird setup.
Microswitches in stalks often goes bad so thats not anything new, but IMHO it shouldnt affect calibration procedure.

I suspect you dont have Vida+Dice ? it could easily narrow down the possible cause.
Yeah. The car has xenons alright.

Thought it was a coincidence that they both worked when I put in the faulty indicator stalk.

I have the car a year now & had never seen both lights 'do the dance' before.

You are correct in assuming that I don't have a Vida+Dice setup. I've heard good things about this & would like to find someone who has one.
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 12:35   #6
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Yeah. The car has xenons alright.

Thought it was a coincidence that they both worked when I put in the faulty indicator stalk.

I have the car a year now & had never seen both lights 'do the dance' before.

You are correct in assuming that I don't have a Vida+Dice setup. I've heard good things about this & would like to find someone who has one.
if you are in Dublin one day I could try to help out, but cant promise any results.
Proper behaviour for xenon lights is to self-level after every startup+lights on so its easy to "force" it even for checking purposes.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 21:00   #7
Filmer Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
if you are in Dublin one day I could try to help out, but cant promise any results.
Proper behaviour for xenon lights is to self-level after every startup+lights on so its easy to "force" it even for checking purposes.
That's very good of you. I'm only an hour or so away from there (Carlow).

The car went thru the NCT today, but failed because of a split CV rubber! So I need to get that sorted soon.

However, I'd like to see a Vida+Dice system in action anyway. As there's 2 Volvos in the household, I might look into buying one myself.

Seeing one in action would be a big help.

I have a real busy time coming up, but I'll fire you a PM in the next while when I know how I'm fixed.

There'll be a few beer vouchers on offer. (Within reason of course).

Thanks again.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 11:01   #8
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
That's very good of you. I'm only an hour or so away from there (Carlow).

The car went thru the NCT today, but failed because of a split CV rubber! So I need to get that sorted soon.

However, I'd like to see a Vida+Dice system in action anyway. As there's 2 Volvos in the household, I might look into buying one myself.

Seeing one in action would be a big help.

I have a real busy time coming up, but I'll fire you a PM in the next while when I know how I'm fixed.

There'll be a few beer vouchers on offer. (Within reason of course).

Thanks again.
no worries, I work in D12 on every weekday so if you are up for a trip one day, PM no problem
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: