Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 turbo estate for sale

Views : 2534

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2019, 15:18   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I'm pretty sure it was XWV 654 K, 'L.S.', but I'm not in a position to check just now. If it's anything else, I'll let you know.
Regards,. John.
Originally a Bristol registered car then John.

https://www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/

Could have bee someone who made their money in Nristol and retired to Bournemouth or a rogue car in Bristol "punted out to the trade" in the Bournemouth area or plain and simple, someone bought it at a few years old from Bristol and either traveled from BOurnemouth to view and buy it or like yourself was on holiday and changed their car..

Bit of a "Nomansland" car!

If it was fine after that little fire/near-fire, i'd say it was just one of those things really.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 16:24   #22
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Home now, 'L.S.'. It was actually 652 and not 654, but that would not affect it's place of registration. I remembered it as 'WV' were also my FIL's initials - when did the letters stop indicating the registration district, I wonder? Was it with the introduction of the current system in 2001?

Regards, John.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 18:30   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Home now, 'L.S.'. It was actually 652 and not 654, but that would not affect it's place of registration. I remembered it as 'WV' were also my FIL's initials - when did the letters stop indicating the registration district, I wonder? Was it with the introduction of the current system in 2001?

Regards, John.
There are two letters even on the current plates that are "regional identifiers" as the DVLA calls them John.

Further down the page i linked to earlier, i found a checking system so entered your reg, XWV652K in to it.

XWV 652K - When and where was it Issued?
This registration was first made available in 1972. The original office for this letter combination is Brighton

It's highly possible the page i linked to earlier is for the current registration area identifiers - these two letters are the first two of the reg. - for example AB12CDE, the identifier would be "AB" but this highlights something i was going to mention, the new plates use a different set of letters for the regions!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:24   #24
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysbarge View Post
Flippin' neck they've gone up. 8 years ago I had a 740 turbo in vastly superior condition to this and could only sell it for scrap One of the best cars I've had
I was thinking the same! After being out of Volvo ownership for a few years, i'm thinking of getting back into it with a 740GLE estate, much like the first volvo i had, which i paid £100 for. Of course i knew i'd have to increase my budget a little, for example, there is a lovely one for sale on here, but £1,500?

Not a chance i'd pay that, so i might have to remain volvo less!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:38   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
I was thinking the same! After being out of Volvo ownership for a few years, i'm thinking of getting back into it with a 740GLE estate, much like the first volvo i had, which i paid £100 for. Of course i knew i'd have to increase my budget a little, for example, there is a lovely one for sale on here, but £1,500?

Not a chance i'd pay that, so i might have to remain volvo less!
That's possibly at the top end of 740GLEs now but they're all a lot more expensive than £100 these days James.

Very few 740GLEs left now but you might be better off getting one that doesn't "appear" to be perfect but "honest" for a fair chunk less. You know there are going to be things you've got to do to bring it up to standard, even on an apparently excellent one. My view is that one that is honest in its appearance would be a safer bet as some cars have been owned by what i call polishers.
Lovely bodywork on the top side, beautifully clean inside but underneath is a minefield of corrosion on the chassis and a shot engine and gearbox because they've ignored the bits they don't see. Bit of an extreme situation but purely to illustrate the point i'm making. Go to another car that isn't bright and shiny everywhere you can see but has had regular oil/filter changes etc, even if done by the owner and any mechanical maladies attended to when needed and not bodged to get through an MoT and you've got a better prospect.

Besides, the satisfaction of bringing a slightly rough round the edges example (but good mechanically) far outweighs buying one that is immaculate with dodgy oily bits.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:57   #26
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's possibly at the top end of 740GLEs now but they're all a lot more expensive than £100 these days James.

Very few 740GLEs left now but you might be better off getting one that doesn't "appear" to be perfect but "honest" for a fair chunk less. You know there are going to be things you've got to do to bring it up to standard, even on an apparently excellent one. My view is that one that is honest in its appearance would be a safer bet as some cars have been owned by what i call polishers.
Lovely bodywork on the top side, beautifully clean inside but underneath is a minefield of corrosion on the chassis and a shot engine and gearbox because they've ignored the bits they don't see. Bit of an extreme situation but purely to illustrate the point i'm making. Go to another car that isn't bright and shiny everywhere you can see but has had regular oil/filter changes etc, even if done by the owner and any mechanical maladies attended to when needed and not bodged to get through an MoT and you've got a better prospect.

Besides, the satisfaction of bringing a slightly rough round the edges example (but good mechanically) far outweighs buying one that is immaculate with dodgy oily bits.
I absolutely agree and thats probably what I will do. I remember when i got my £100 one, it came in as a part ex at a garage my mum worked at. It had been owned by a farmer, so the inside absolutely stunk, the tracking was miles out and generally, most people would have scrapped it, but a day spent servicing it and a good clean, and it lasted me years.

I wouldn't want a show piece anyway, Any car i buy will have a good service and a clean, so i'd be happy to find a rough round the edges one. There is an SE on ebay now for £650. Only a B200 though. I think i'd want the extra grunt of the 2.3 but i'm not sure in the real world what the difference is as i haven't driven a B200 estate.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:26   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I absolutely agree and thats probably what I will do. I remember when i got my £100 one, it came in as a part ex at a garage my mum worked at. It had been owned by a farmer, so the inside absolutely stunk, the tracking was miles out and generally, most people would have scrapped it, but a day spent servicing it and a good clean, and it lasted me years.

I wouldn't want a show piece anyway, Any car i buy will have a good service and a clean, so i'd be happy to find a rough round the edges one. There is an SE on ebay now for £650. Only a B200 though. I think i'd want the extra grunt of the 2.3 but i'm not sure in the real world what the difference is as i haven't driven a B200 estate.
The extra 300cc makes a big difference IMHO, not so much the power but the torque and general ease of driving. Some might argue that but the other thing to consider is the B200 is too small for the bodyshell so economy isn't great either. The B200 has to work harder just to get the car rolling so you can see where i'm going with this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 12:15   #28
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The extra 300cc makes a big difference IMHO, not so much the power but the torque and general ease of driving. Some might argue that but the other thing to consider is the B200 is too small for the bodyshell so economy isn't great either. The B200 has to work harder just to get the car rolling so you can see where i'm going with this.
Sounds logical. I'll stick to looking for a 2.3. I was surprised at insurance quotes for a 940 nowadays, so i'll probably stick to looking for a 7 series where classic insurance is possible
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 14:51   #29
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
.....i'm thinking of getting back into it with a 740GLE estate, much like the first volvo i had, which i paid £100 for. Of course i knew i'd have to increase my budget a little.....
Here you go.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...gAAOSwuntd7mca
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 16:39   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
That one looks good on the top side but worrying that it doesn't run and a garage hasn't bothered trying to fix it.

Could be a bargain or a money pit, if it's something relatively simple then potential bargain, if it needs a lot then money pit. Could still work out favourably against the cost of buying an apparently immacualte runner though.