Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

some problems.....

Views : 1270

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 21:18   #1
t4 paul

Default some problems.....

hi there, have been lurking for a whie, am a bit shy lol........well anyway ive recently got myself a 1997 S40 T4 its got about 100,000 on the clock and got a few niggles that im hoping you might be able to help with.

1. got an annoying rattle when you lift off the accelerator, had a look round and most likely thing is the wastegate arm, is this easy to tighten up cant seem to find it in my haynes book.

2. got a knock coming from front right hand side mostly when pulling off, thinking its probably an engine mount, are these expensive to get done?

3. the clutch seems very sharp, is this normal on T4's?

4. what oil is best to use? been reading that fully synthetic is best for the turbo, but from the service history its usually had magnatec. what do you guys (and gals) use?

5. bought some new ignition leads but think i was given the wrong ones as two of the ones on my car have got the coils fitted, so does this mean you have to get new coils as well?

that should do for starters lol, you'll have to forgive me though 'cos i'm not very mechanically minded (as you can probably tell lol). i can handle the simple things but dont really know that much.

thanks for your help in advace

p.s. anyone got any hints on quieting squeeky plastics?
t4 paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 21:56   #2
morphinemitt
My nipper said!

Can only shed some light on point 2 (possibly). Try searching for knocking noise, and read my how-to. It may be something else, but it's worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Morphinemitt
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 22:01   #3
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Wink

Hi Paul!

We use fully synthetic oil. The nice man at the garage said it was for the best!

I can trust him before anyone says anything!

I am SWMBO!! haha

chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 22:16   #4
matt_pc
2001 V40 T4

My T4 has problems 1 & 2 also. Does the rattle dissapear when you depress the clutch pedal? mine does and a mechanic mate of mine says its the clutch release bearing.

As for the knocking i've changed the only mount that any real play could be seen in but its still there.
matt_pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 22:47   #5
mharriso
Master Member

1./ Can't help with this one, i have the haynes, if you get no joy through the forum PM me and i'll take a look and send you the data..
2./ Take a good look around the front suspension, either lower arm bushes, loose wheel nuts (its been done...), or loose drive shaft to hub... Check this right away as the longer you leave it the more damage / wear could be done...
3./ Whats the history of the clutch, has it ever had new plates / basket etc...Let us know and w can advise further. As i understand it a severe clclutch (i.e. pick up) is not normal on standard application. (at least the ones i've driven haven't been).
4./ Check you manual for the correct grade, for general suggest 5w30 fully synthetic, or if the engie is low lieage in good conditin 0w40. Mobil 1 has a great pedigree, but eveyone has their own preferences. Be sure to change it at service schedule and more often if you race the engine / use it for high rpm for long periods.. synthetic looses its properties like any oil through use, just typically lasts a little longer and has better performance through out its life.
5./ Re you leads, if the leads are bonded / one piece with the coils then yes you will need to replace as set. Otherwise not.
6./ Re squeaking platics, if is plastic to plastic you can use fabric tape between the two faces e.g. center console facia panels, if its around a fixing point / screw you can put silicon onthe mating faces before tightening the fixing... (or a dab or grease), and in general retighten all you fixing screws as squeaks are from movement and parts move more when not secured tightly....
Hope all this helps...
By the way the SEARCH function is good onthis forum and may give you answers quicker than a post & waiting for a reply...
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 23:42   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

1, yeah sounds like wastegate arm to me chattering when you lift off throttle, yeah it can be tighten up abit to stop it, altho not to much,

2, Drivers side engine mount knocking, common problem,

3, The clutchs are quiet sharpe and after 100k it will be well bedded in,

4, Synthetic is best stuff to use, heard the halfords own brand stuff is ment to be best for price, think its 5w30 fully synthetic in a purply bottle,

5, If the leads and coils are ok leave then alone, mine have done 132k and there fine, just make sure the plugs are ok as the T4's tend to burn standard plugs out well before they are due to be changed, there due every 30k, i tend to do them every 15k,

plastic squeeks, i find interior polish stuff best stuff to cure squeeks, silicon based stuff in spray cans
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:06   #7
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

mornin

the rattle, does it go if you press the clutch pedal down ??
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 13:02   #8
Andy P
Swedish Cabbage

1. Sounds like the wastegate arm to me - quite a common problem. Just lean over the back of the engine, take off the top heatshield and you will see the wastegate. Slacken the lock nut on the arm, pull out the split pin, pop off the arm. Now twist the end of arm clockwise to tighten - go one thread at a time. Reverse the instructions. Oh, its a good idea to let the turbo cool down before you touch it!

2. Drivers side engine mount near the cam belt. Its a common problem.

3. Yep, mine was even with 100k on it (as is my friends 100k+ T4)

4. If its been run on mineral oil, or semi synth for 100k, it might be worth sticking to that. Running fully synth might cause it to smoke and burn oil. By all means try it though, as fully synth is always best

5. You've got the wrong ones. You need 2 plug wires and 2 coil packs. Coils are about £40-£50 each mind...

Andy P
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 13:17   #9
t4 paul

thanks for all your help left me with plenty to go on

with regard to the rattle the clutch doesnt really make any difference, when the car is stationary and out of gear if you rev the engine, as the revs drops it rattles.

off down halfords now to get sum fully synthetic, just hope it agrees with my car lol.

thanks again paul
t4 paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 20:08   #10
spyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4 paul View Post
thanks for all your help left me with plenty to go on

with regard to the rattle the clutch doesnt really make any difference, when the car is stationary and out of gear if you rev the engine, as the revs drops it rattles.

off down halfords now to get sum fully synthetic, just hope it agrees with my car lol.

thanks again paul
I have exactly the same (posted about in my mammoth thread). You are spot on with the guess at the wastegate as this is what I have been told is the problem with mine. However, I have also been told approx £500 to fix ... gulp!

Tempted to try the tightening method Andy P refers to before going down that route though!
spyda is offline   Reply With Quote