Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety Recall

Views : 5898

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 13:49   #1
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default Safety Recall

Have just received a letter re the inlet manifold problem on four cylinder diesel engines manufactured between 2014 and 2019.

The solution is a software update to the Engine Control Module and the fitment of additional hoses to re-route the cooling system of the EGR system.

The fix is available now.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 14:14   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

Cheers Lexman8!

At least there’s some hardware involved as well..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 14:47   #3
ergonomist

Yes - got my letter this morning. I'm booked in for next Wednesday - it will be interesting to hear what the service dept have to say about this fix and how it addresses the issue (I'm not quite clear what a software upgrade fixes...).
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 15:08   #4
volvo s60 2001

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonomist View Post
Yes - got my letter this morning. I'm booked in for next Wednesday - it will be interesting to hear what the service dept have to say about this fix and how it addresses the issue (I'm not quite clear what a software upgrade fixes...).

Well the software can fix a lot of things. The software 'tells' the hardware (where movling parts are involved) how to work!
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 15:18   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The software update merely introduces a new monitoring regime that can tell if intake valves are sticking open and then raise an alarm should this happen... I read that somewhere on another forum thread (probably in the P3 section)
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 15:58   #6
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The software update merely introduces a new monitoring regime that can tell if intake valves are sticking open and then raise an alarm should this happen... I read that somewhere on another forum thread (probably in the P3 section)

It's not only this. The work of the EGR will be changed as well. IMO they are trying to reduce the temperature in the manifold.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 16:59   #7
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Mine was done as part of the Service last week. No noticeable difference. I am still not on fire, yet....

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 18:08   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo s60 2001 View Post
It's not only this. The work of the EGR will be changed as well. IMO they are trying to reduce the temperature in the manifold.
That would be great, as I'm sure we'd rather have a proper fix rather than merely something that detects when it eventually goes wrong. But quite tricky to reduce the EGR flow and still meet the Euro 6 NOX limit though, so I guess they might increase the EGR cooling, however there's already been a major mod programme which deliberately REDUCED the cooling power of the existing cooler because it gummed up as condensation formed in it and mixed with the soot! Mind you, that was a rubbish mod as the replacement coolers still gummed up (my car had its second replacement at around 70k miles).
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 18:27   #9
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Mine was done as part of the Service last week. No noticeable difference. I am still not on fire, yet....

Did they make the modification of the cooling system or only uploaded the new software?
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:02   #10
Zebra
Chief of Staff

To be honest I am not sure. My recall letter received the day of the service said software only (this is on my D2 V40 MY17) and then when I arranged to book it in , two days after the service, on arrival I was told it had been done and was shown the computer record with the code on it. It had a time period which I assume was so the dealer can bill Volvo UK for doing the recall. There was no reference to any physical changes to the car apart from the 'it took one hour of time' on the record. (There was no charge to me).

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebra For This Useful Post: