Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 163bhp ECM-2505 limp mode

Views : 1734

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 14:10   #1
dstc

Default D5 163bhp ECM-2505 limp mode

Hi. Our 53 reg XC90 with the D5 163bhp engine intermittently throws this code. I can't hook Vida up to it till tonight. So far my wife has been able to get about by cycling the ignition off and on again. So far I've been studying previous posts and it looks like it could be a faulty injector and or a high pressure fuel sensor. I checked the car with a cheap code reader which showed the ECM 2505 code. The fuel filter was changed for a genuine one a few years back. The injectors look like they are original. Hope the forum gurus can help me.
dstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 14:41   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Vida will give you all you need to know.
It will explain the circumstances of the code and the possible causes and fixes.

If you want alternative opinions, you can type the fault code into the forum search or Google where you'll find several discussions on the code.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 15:48   #3
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstc View Post
The fuel filter was changed for a genuine one a few years back.
The fuel filter should be replaced every 2 years. I do not advocate guessing, but I would check that first.
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 11:47   #4
dstc

Default Fuel filter cap is stuck

I just tried to change the fuel filter cap and the garage have refitted the cap with an impact gun. Its stuck and I can't get it off. Any advice?

I've got Vida going. How can I check how much the injectors are leaking back.

I have been able to plot a graph of rail pressure during startup.
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 14:25   #5
dstc

Default It's fixed

I took the fuel regulator off. Cleaned it. Refitted it. Now I have a low pressure warning, but it doesn't go in to limp mode. Ordering the replacement regulator from Volvo on Monday.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 13:10   #6
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
I just tried to change the fuel filter cap and the garage have refitted the cap with an impact gun. Its stuck and I can't get it off. Any advice?

Really? You saw them do that? Take it back and get them to remove it.

However, if you have assumed that because it is tight - it is supposed to be tight. Get the right tool and you will get it off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-FILT...4383.l4275.c10
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 14:15   #7
dstc

Default Great tool

That's a great tool to change the fuel filter. I've just ordered one now. Thanks for the headsup. It will take a little time to get here as it is coming from Poland.

I rang Volvo. The fuel regulator/ safety valve is £301 and the fuel sensor is £192. A new fuel rail is £600-odd. Do you know if EuroCarParts sell the parts?

I will change the fuel filter 1st, then do a leak back test, before changing the sensor and regulator.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 14:20   #8
dstc

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Vida will give you all you need to know.
It will explain the circumstances of the code and the possible causes and fixes.

If you want alternative opinions, you can type the fault code into the forum search or Google where you'll find several discussions on the code.
Thanks CheshireD5 for commenting. You're the Vida guru. Can you point me in the right direction and how to interrogate the various sensors, etc. Thank you.
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 14:20   #9
dstc

Default part No. 0281002841 - sensor

Ordered a sensor off ebay. The one on the 163bhp D5 has 2 pins, the one that was delivered has 3 pins. Back it goes. The seller was really helpful & gave me the part number 0281002841. On some listings it say it has been superceded by a new sensor, part number 0281006086. Need to message the sellers to find out if it'll fit the D5.

Anyone know the part number for the fuel regulator?
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 16:34   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Can you point me in the right direction and how to interrogate the various sensors, etc. Thank you.
Diagnostics >Vehicle Communication >ECM (from the overhead vehicle diagram) >Parameters
If you click on a fault code then click Information at the bottom left of the screen, it will explain the circumstances for the code and the possible causes and fixes.
Quote:
Anyone know the part number for the fuel regulator?
Vida contains a comprehensive parts catalogue so you can find the exact part for your vehicle profile without having to rely on parts sellers sending you the wrong stuff.