Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ctek Battery Charger & Negative Connection to XC60 Chassis

Views : 5618

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2019, 16:21   #21
samball

Thought I would give an update of what I have done since my last message.

A big thank you to Mick787 for supplying step by step instructions of the process complete with photographs. Also for his recommendation to install a Ctek 56382 comfort indicator costing less than £7. This replaces the original connection lead supplied with the battery charger and flashes an indicative battery status of green, yellow and red.

The whole process took less than 40 minutes and now I can see at a glance an indication of the state of charge of the battery. If a charge is required I just connect the charger to the Ctek 56382 by clicking the respective leads together, switch on the power and hey presto.

I followed Volvo’s instruction and connected the negative lead to the chassis for the following reason:-

Important
If the following instruction is not observed then the Start/Stop function may temporarily cease to work after the connection of an external battery or battery charger:
• The negative battery terminal on the car's starter battery must never be used for connecting an external battery or battery charger - only the car chassis may be used as the grounding point.
samball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to samball For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 18:38   #22
HDAV
Master Member

Where did you fit the comfort monitor?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 21:16   #23
samball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Where did you fit the comfort monitor?
Connect the positive lead to positive terminal on the battery. Connect the negative lead to the chassis north of the battery. A couple of panels need to be removed to expose the ground point. The comfort indicator at the opposite end of the lead rests alongside the battery flashing green, yellow or red and is ready for the charger to be connected when ready.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 21:19   #24
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samball View Post
Connect the positive lead to positive terminal on the battery. Connect the negative lead to the chassis north of the battery. A couple of panels need to be removed to expose the ground point. The comfort indicator at the opposite end of the lead rests alongside the battery flashing green, yellow or red and is ready for the charger to be connected when ready.
I meant where in the car seems a bit pointless having to open the bonnet to see the status.......
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 12:01   #25
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Why would you buy and fit a battery status indicator when the car already monitors the battery status? And I don't see how this £7 thing could possibly make a meaningful assessment of the battery/battery charge status when it doesn't even measure the flow of current/charge in and out of the battery (which the car actually does). Ironically it must consume charge in order to power itself and so merely adds to any problem!

Surely a car battery shouldn't need this much attention and nursing?
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 13:11   #26
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
And I don't see how this £7 thing could possibly make a meaningful assessment of the battery/battery charge status when it doesn't even measure the flow of current/charge in and out of the battery (which the car actually does).
It doesn't, it just gives a dumb indication based on resting battery voltage. But as you say, if the intention in fitting a smart charger is to compensate for battery discharge over periods of being parked up without use, an indicator that actually takes power from the battery to illuminate indicators that you can't actually see unless you open the bonnet (no matter how small the consumption) isn't adding anything useful to the problem IMHO.
RS3100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:03   #27
samball

I came to this site asking a question on how to connect my battery charger to the car’s chassis. This was answered, together with a recommendation to fit a Ctek comfort indicator.

As I was prepared to fit the original supplied battery leads anyway, why not spend £6.99 and fit the comfort indicator which gives me an indication ahead of the Volvo “Low Battery” warning - A No Brainer.

There is no hardship in lifting the bonnet from time to time to check the status, after all one has to do this to replenish the windscreen wash!
The Following User Says Thank You to samball For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 13:53   #28
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samball View Post

There is no hardship in lifting the bonnet from time to time to check the status, after all one has to do this to replenish the windscreen wash!
Which the car also monitors and tells you when it needs filling, so you might when filling the washer bottle notice the indicator showing less than optimum..... how often do you fill your washer bottle? I would want to be able to see the status either from the outside of the car and be able to connect the charger, and replenish the battery before issues arose, after all if there is enough charge to unlock the doors so you can reach the bonnet release there is enough to get at the indicator.......however if it drops to the point the doors won’t unlock you cannot easily access the monitor......hence asking where you fitted it...... somewhere visible through the grill or scuttle panel that you can see and connect the charger too would surely be much better?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 14:14   #29
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Which the car also monitors and tells you when it needs filling, so you might when filling the washer bottle notice the indicator showing less than optimum..... how often do you fill your washer bottle? I would want to be able to see the status either from the outside of the car and be able to connect the charger, and replenish the battery before issues arose, after all if there is enough charge to unlock the doors so you can reach the bonnet release there is enough to get at the indicator.......however if it drops to the point the doors won’t unlock you cannot easily access the monitor......hence asking where you fitted it...... somewhere visible through the grill or scuttle panel that you can see and connect the charger too would surely be much better?
Or just pay attention to the detailed dash messages generated by a complex system that monitors charge balance, voltage and temperature, rather than a potentially misleading light that simply responds to battery voltage (which is a hugely unreliable way of monitoring battery state-of-health).
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 15:58   #30
RS3100

I find in circumstances where I don't use my car for a period of time that connecting a Ctek charger once a month for a period of around 8 hours or until the charger indicates that the battery is fully charged is all that the car needs.

If I'm away, I leave the Ctek connected on a timer switch that switches it on once a week for 8 hours to let it do its thing. Despite what Ctek and other smart charger manufacturers say, I won't leave these chargers permanently connected as I have found from previous experience that they will boil dry or shorten battery life over time if left on permanent trickle charge.

Note that if your Volvo has Start/Stop, the car electronics aim to maintain the battery at 85% SOC, so even if you have fully charged it, it will return to 85% SOC fairly quickly!
RS3100 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post: