Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux. belt tale of woe!

Views : 3489

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2019, 16:00   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
I've done the cambelt on 3 D5's now and never had cause to change the waterpump as they were still serviceable.

When I changed the belt on my last xc70 it had over 160k miles on the clock and the belt was changed for the second time in the cars life.

Again the waterpump showed no discernible wear at this mileage and was left in situ.

This car now has over 200k on it and no problems.
there is supposed be just a touch of play in the bearing it is a kind of self aligning feature
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 09:25   #12
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
there is supposed be just a touch of play in the bearing it is a kind of self aligning feature

What I was getting at Clan is that it just felt right and certainly didn't need changing.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 12:44   #13
klunk

So i've just bought a 2003, V70 D5 manual, Cheap! I'm going to be replacing the Timing belt with a full INA kit which i have ordered as well as the auxiliary belt and tensioner. Regarding the water pump whats recommended? It's got 233000 miles on it, Check for still having a Volvo gen pump and then wear and tear check and leave if all good or replace with a gen Volvo pump for piece of mind? Cheers.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 15:58   #14
canis
Non Fragile

Maybe all this is true. Maybe anything could happen, doesn't mean it's likely.

Two years ago I rebuilt (on the cheap!) our 1600 engine, the renault one, in our V40. The new belt wasn't the right one, so I used the one from the donor car. Having turned it over by hand, I turned it over on the starter motor with the injectord unplugged so it couldn't fire.

The belt snapped! Because I caught it quickly, no damage was done. But I had to put the old belt back on, way overdue. It's still on it even now, about 60,000 miles overdue.

There's a little too much over-caution. People replacing oil pumps and everything "because you never know".... Y'all gots too much money and not enough balls, I reckon.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 16:34   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post

Two years ago I rebuilt (on the cheap!) our 1600 engine, the renault one, in our V40. The new belt wasn't the right one, so I used the one from the donor car. Having turned it over by hand, I turned it over on the starter motor with the injectord unplugged so it couldn't fire.

The belt snapped! Because I caught it quickly, no damage was done. But I had to put the old belt back on, way overdue. It's still on it even now, about 60,000 miles overdue.

There's a little too much over-caution. People replacing oil pumps and everything "because you never know".... Y'all gots too much money and not enough balls, I reckon.
There is no Renault 1600 engine in your V40 it is the Volvo one ... I'm surprised it needed rebuilding , what was wrong?
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 21:42   #16
zapcity1

Got the car back all repaired fine. My local garage did a great job. Quoted £3.6k and that's exactly what it cost. Only 12 hours labour, which is less than I was expecting. I always get them to use Volvo parts, so at least I now have all the relevant belts and tensioners changed so no cambelt for 10 years.

As you would expect the head is by far the most expensive single item. It's about £2.2k from Volvo then you need to add all the extras (valves etc.).

We settled on an exchange item (it's a Volvo part but refurbished). It's plug and play so includes cams and everything ready to go for £2k.

That's decimated my funds for 480 improvements next year, but the XC is running great again so just have to put it behind me.
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 22:16   #17
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is no Renault 1600 engine in your V40 it is the Volvo one ... I'm surprised it needed rebuilding , what was wrong?
Everyone knows it's a renault engine, as fitted in the megane. Go to the V40 forum, read it. Everyone knows.

Head gasket. So partial rebuild.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 22:21   #18
canis
Non Fragile

Can't seem to edit, for some reason. Getting "Forbidden".

Just noticed we're talking diesel engines. The petrol engines (I've had three) were all renault engines and gearboxes.

The volvo gearbox is an utter pile of poop. Awful ratios. (Sorry!)
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 22:00   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post

You'll need plenty of it if with your outlook. You've been lucky, but sadly, many haven't been. Look at the original poster who spent £3,600 on repairs afterall, so it is likely that failures occur & do, yet its also luck of the draw. You have a belt on your car that to your reckoning is 60,000 miles overdue being changed. Your car & your choice at the end of the day, but having a critical part that's 60,000 miles overdue being changed is asking for trouble & if it does fail, you knew about it & therefore have no one to blame only yourself .

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 2nd, 2020 at 22:15.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 00:35   #20
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
You'll need plenty of it if with your outlook. You've been lucky, but sadly, many haven't been. Look at the original poster who spent £3,600 on repairs afterall, so it is likely that failures occur & do, yet its also luck of the draw. You have a belt on your car that to your reckoning is 60,000 miles overdue being changed. Your car & your choice at the end of the day, but having a critical part that's 60,000 miles overdue being changed is asking for trouble & if it does fail, you knew about it & therefore have no one to blame only yourself .
Who said I was blaming anyone? I just think you'll get to a figure of £3,600 much more quickly by replacing a ton of stuff prematurely. Seems obvious to me.