Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

lifting a V70 level

Views : 1277

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 03:54   #11
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
I think I'd go ramps at the back and stands at the front so I'd have a working hand brake to prevent any possibility of the car rolling.
Thats a good point, didnt think of that although i am on a level surface'ish, its gravel
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 03:38   #12
Bashy
Aged Member

Well, i managed it to a certain extent, ramped the back wheels, then tried to jack up the front but my jacks could'nae handle the power needed captain, had to resort to the old trolley jack (a big weight for my back to carry), its very old. I had to bring the car back down the ramp about halfway, cause the tj just couldnt handle the lift pressure to get it high enough at full ramp height.

Whats more, when i was jacking the front using the tj, it was slowing pulling the car over towards the jack, yeah i know, gravel does not help it also tried the otherside too when it was on the axle stand, so i couldnt go quite as high on the last corner, but it looked as level as i could get it.

Was certainly a tad nerve racking putting it up but once up, it felt safe, just didnt have the clearance i was wanting but managed the job....

A new TJ is needed for sure, will get one for the next round
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 16:14   #13
Simmy
Premier Member

costco do a low entry trolley jack rated for 2 tons for abt £100 . i have one and it lifts a p2 v70 with ease .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 16:58   #14
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
costco do a low entry trolley jack rated for 2 tons for abt £100 . i have one and it lifts a p2 v70 with ease .
Damn, what's that made from gold? Lol
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 17:20   #15
abdiel
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post

That's a reasonable price for a safe, good quality Trolley Jack you can
bet your life on!
I know what you're thinking punk. You're thinking " is it worth it or not?" Now to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement but being this is a big heavy Volvo and it will take your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky'? Well, do ya punk?

(with thanks & apologies to Mr. Clint Eastwood aka Harry Callaghan)
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abdiel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 17:43   #16
Longhouse21
Master Member

I've owned a Clarkes 3t quick lift ( the one with the pedal) for a number of years now and found it to be excellent, bought from Machine Mart. Quite often do a VAT free offer, normally on spends over £50, but not on at the moment unfortunately. I've filtered for 2- 3 tonne, check the jacks out here:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/trol...5%7c2.75%7c2.5
The Following User Says Thank You to Longhouse21 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 17:44   #17
Bashy
Aged Member

Lol, that's where the stands come in handy
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 18:09   #18
Longhouse21
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
That's a reasonable price for a safe, good quality Trolley Jack you can
bet your life on!
I know what you're thinking punk. You're thinking " is it worth it or not?" Now to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement but being this is a big heavy Volvo and it will take your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky'? Well, do ya punk?

(with thanks & apologies to Mr. Clint Eastwood aka Harry Callaghan)
Don't think I'd put anything soft and squishy under any car supported only by a jack...except whilst placing the stands of course, and then I move quickly!
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 18:37   #19
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
Don't think I'd put anything soft and squishy under any car supported only by a jack...except whilst placing the stands of course, and then I move quickly!
Darn tooting, scares me just lifting it, I thought it was gonna slide over lol
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 18:38   #20
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
£100 =for a quality trolly jack £3000 for a funeral . never put cost before safety
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: