Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026180

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:41   #221
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
If you decide to go for an electric fan, a 940 one can be cut down on one side to fit the 240 radiator very easily and neatly - I have one in my car.

If your radiator was replaced at some point, it might have a bung for a temp sensor at the top on the back of the offside- ie near the drivers side headlight. If it does, an intermotor 50050 temp switch will fit and control the fan to come on at just slightly over horizontal on the gauge.

The reason for the bung is that some 740 (or 940? Not quite sure) cars use the same size radiator and have an temp switch in that position- as far as I’m aware no 240s had electric fans from new, just the fixed fans like yours and then later the fans with a viscous coupling.

Cheers
I wonder, is this the bung (the white plastic thing)?

The Royal Barge's radiator certainly doesn't look 40 years old, so I suspect it has been changed some time in the past decade.

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:46   #222
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you also measure the diameter fo the top hose stub on the rad, i think i have an alloy coolant hose sensor adaptor and switch that i bought for my 740 and never fitted. WOn't fit my 760 (too small bore i believe) so is surplus to requirements. Fairly sure the switch is 97-92C as well so right on the temperature rating.
Hi Dave,

The top hose stub looks like it is 35mm (or thereabouts) diameter:

I could get a more accurate measurement if needed. The radiator looks fairly new - certainly not 40 years old, so it may have come from a later car.

The shroud is 17.5" internal diameter, so I think the 16" fan could be made to fit very neatly indeed inside it and secured with a few Meccano brackets with the fixed fan just removed to a safe place.

I like this idea, I think it would be a sympathetic and sensible improvement to the Royal Barge for about £30.

Alan
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 08:17   #223
Othen
Premier Member

The Royal Barge does seem to warm up a bit slowly. I’ve just driven the short way in to the Wetherspoons for breakfast (about 2 miles) and it still needed the fast idle at the end, the temperature gauge had not budged.

I’ll get it flushed out, the thermostat changed and refilled this week and we’ll see if that helps. I like the electric fan idea as well and will order the bits this week to fit next.

Alan.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 09:15   #224
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I wonder, is this the bung (the white plastic thing)?

The Royal Barge's radiator certainly doesn't look 40 years old, so I suspect it has been changed some time in the past decade.

Alan
Yes, I suspected it would have been replaced at some point- you’re in luck, that white piece of plastic is the plug. To fit an intermotor 50050 like I did, drain the radiator, then pull that plug out with a big pair of pliers. The sensor is a tight fit, I had to grease the seal (reuse the current seal, rather than the one that comes with the sensor) and then gently press it in using a g-clamp (with a suitably sized socket over the sensor pins).

The Volvo 940 radiator has a two speed relay, I connected the sensor to the low side and it works well- the ecu is connected to the high side, but you could either use a single relay or just not connect the high side if you use the Volvo one. Or fit a manual override to the high side.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 09:18   #225
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, I suspected it would have been replaced at some point- you’re in luck, that white piece of plastic is the plug. To fit an intermotor 50050 like I did, drain the radiator, then pull that plug out with a big pair of pliers. The sensor is a tight fit, I had to grease the seal (reuse the current seal, rather than the one that comes with the sensor) and then gently press it in using a g-clamp (with a suitably sized socket over the sensor pins).

The Volvo 940 radiator has a two speed relay, I connected the sensor to the low side and it works well- the ecu is connected to the high side, but you could either use a single relay or just not connect the high side if you use the Volvo one. Or fit a manual override to the high side.

Cheers
Excellent.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 09:56   #226
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
The Royal Barge does seem to warm up a bit slowly. I’ve just driven the short way in to the Wetherspoons for breakfast (about 2 miles) and it still needed the fast idle at the end, the temperature gauge had not budged.
It should warm up much faster than that. I judge mine by the landmarks I pass on the route into the nearest village.

1/2 mile, gauge registering about a quarter.
2 miles, gauge registering half. In the next few hundred yards it then rises a further 1/8, but drops rapidly back to half as the thermostat opens.
The gauge is very sensitive - it dips briefly when I slide the heater control ON as a new slug of cold water circulates, but by 2 miles the gauge registers a rock steady half and the heater will blow hot air.

I've had all the fan options on 240s over the years - fixed fan, viscous coupling, and electric, and concluded the viscous coupling works the best.
The whooshing noise you either love or hate - I used to hate it but have come to like it as part of that authentic 240 sound. Mine works extremely effectively, and together with a clean radiator, good thermostat, and 2-yearly flush and coolant change the temperature stays solidly on the half-way mark regardless of air temperature.

An electric fan is not maintenance-free, as you need to be constantly aware that it is still working. After a scare once when the temperature climbed alarmingly because a wire had corroded at the motor, and another because leaves had stopped the fan, I removed it and refitted the viscous coupling.
Part of this arises because an electric fan cuts in so rarely, but when it does you really need it to work.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 11:12   #227
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
It should warm up much faster than that. I judge mine by the landmarks I pass on the route into the nearest village.

1/2 mile, gauge registering about a quarter.
2 miles, gauge registering half. In the next few hundred yards it then rises a further 1/8, but drops rapidly back to half as the thermostat opens.
The gauge is very sensitive - it dips briefly when I slide the heater control ON as a new slug of cold water circulates, but by 2 miles the gauge registers a rock steady half and the heater will blow hot air.

I've had all the fan options on 240s over the years - fixed fan, viscous coupling, and electric, and concluded the viscous coupling works the best.
The whooshing noise you either love or hate - I used to hate it but have come to like it as part of that authentic 240 sound. Mine works extremely effectively, and together with a clean radiator, good thermostat, and 2-yearly flush and coolant change the temperature stays solidly on the half-way mark regardless of air temperature.

An electric fan is not maintenance-free, as you need to be constantly aware that it is still working. After a scare once when the temperature climbed alarmingly because a wire had corroded at the motor, and another because leaves had stopped the fan, I removed it and refitted the viscous coupling.
Part of this arises because an electric fan cuts in so rarely, but when it does you really need it to work.
The Royal Barge certainly warms up slower than that.
Alan
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 11:29   #228
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
The Royal Barge certainly warms up slower than that.
Alan
I’d start by looking at the thermostat - drain the coolant and take the thermostat cover off using a 6 sided, not 12 point socket - the nuts are only 10mm and easy to strip.

Thermostats can break on one side meaning they’re permanently open

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 12:08   #229
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I’ll get it flushed out, the thermostat changed and refilled this week and we’ll see if that helps. I like the electric fan idea as well and will order the bits this week to fit next.

Alan.
As you have the bung and hole on your rad Alan, i haven't exhumed the coolant hose adaptor as fitting either a 50050 or 50171 Intermotor switch will look neater. A 50056 has a different temp range 96-88C which would be better suited to an 88C 'stat.

With the aftermarket fan (in particular the one i linked to) you'll probably find you need to remove the existing shroud from the radiator as the fan is designed to monut on the rad and has it's own shroud/cowl designed for maximum airflow through it - the OE cowl/shroud could impede this. Also gives you much more room on the engine bay!

If you see what i mean!

I haven't yet added my own electric cooling fan, there's already one in front of the rad on mine for the A/C and so far, even on hot days, that's only come on a few times.

If you wanted "reassurance" about the fan operating, you could fit a tell-tale warning lamp wired across the motor terminals or use a spare warning light on the instrument cluster.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 14:42   #230
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I’d start by looking at the thermostat - drain the coolant and take the thermostat cover off using a 6 sided, not 12 point socket - the nuts are only 10mm and easy to strip.

Thermostats can break on one side meaning they’re permanently open

Cheers
Many thanks,
I don't think the thermostat is permanent open because the gauge does start cycling, but it takes a long time to get there, so I do think it is not 100% right.
Alan