Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox and O/D Oil

Views : 1346

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 20:13   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

20/50 is fine. Make sure the level plug is removeable before you do anything. If adding the book amount via the lever hole you may overfill it a bit if all of the oil hasn't been drained from both the OD and the box. Normally most people just drain the box and leave the little bit of excess in the bottom of the OD. Recheck the level after you have run the car for a few miles and worked the OD.
Yes it's easier with a syringe. Cheap on eBay.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 20:28   #12
Bracpan

I got the leaver of in seconds and pored oil in, it did not take much until it was coming out so not sure if the slipping of the over drive was lack of oil....
But saying that the oil was filthy so i drained it all and refilled with new..
When I get my damn seats back ill take it for a run and test it,,,fingers crossed.
One thing that bothers me is the oil level ( when seeping out of the plug) still looks lower than the level of the overdrive unit ? How does the overdrive unit get its oil ?
Please answer if anybody knows ?

Last edited by Bracpan; Mar 4th, 2020 at 20:40.
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 20:49   #13
Bracpan

see what i mean ?
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 23:31   #14
Bracpan

having problems with pics again !!!!
Thats better ....see what I mean about the different levels ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box&drive.jpg (44.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo_M41.jpg (149.1 KB, 20 views)
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 04:56   #15
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracpan View Post
see what i mean ?
Don’t overwork this, if you’re concerned , Jack the front end up and wait a while for the oil to flow over to the OD.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 09:41   #16
Bracpan

i was thinking the same but the angle would be quite a lot....
But just filling the G/B to the right level must be right as there is no way of filling the O/D otherwise !
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 11:53   #17
Derek UK
VOC Member

Oil flows over into the OD. That is why I said there would be some left in when changing if you don't also drain the OD. Also that is why I said to check it after giving it a run so that the levels are correct in both box and OD. Slippage can be caused by worn O rings not being able to maintain the pump pressure. Box will need to come apart to replace those. O rings £5, Replace as part of an overhaul about £300.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 13:17   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Oil flows over into the OD. That is why I said there would be some left in when changing if you don't also drain the OD. Also that is why I said to check it after giving it a run so that the levels are correct in both box and OD. Slippage can be caused by worn O rings not being able to maintain the pump pressure. Box will need to come apart to replace those. O rings £5, Replace as part of an overhaul about £300.
Indeed , the Overdrive piston rubber seals will leak on and old OD unit resulting in slippage at low speed . They are easy to replace you just pull the overdrive rear casing off 😊 I did many in the 1980's
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 14:14   #19
Underdrive

When draining the oil you can remove the filter cover on the bottom of the overdrive unit to drain completely(you will need either a new gasket or carefully applied 'instant gasket'). This is also a good idea anyway to clean the filter and check for any tell-tale signs of internal damage, particularly if you don't know when it was last checked. Failing to notice the first signs of a gearbox component starting to disintegrate may mean it is not possible to repair/recondition after it lets go in a big way. There always seem to be different opinions on the right oil to use, and anecdotes from owners who have successfully used everything from chip fat to baby oil! My conclusion from a mixture of original Volvo recommendations and up to date advice from 'experts' is that you can't go far wrong with either 20W50 or straight 30W.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 15:56   #20
Bracpan

Many thanks for that information, once i can drive the car again ( when my seats return) I will take it to a friends garage and put it up on a ramp to do the checks you recommend. I have put clean 20W50 in at the moment but as its so cheap I will change it again when i do the inspection.
Really appreciate all the advice from everyone. So far i've really enjoyed working on the Amazon its so good to get back to a car with no electronics..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bracpan For This Useful Post: