Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem 940

Views : 14878

Replies : 314

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2020, 08:28   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I can see where you're going with that Ash, certainly a possibility. You forgot to mention to disconnect the field wire from the D terminal though while testing to prevent the alternator trying to charge thin air. For a couple of minutes test, it won't be a problem though, or at least shouldn't be.

Amorack - do you have a NOID light for testing injectors? If not, try and get one, they're fairly cheap and may reveal a fault if it takes that route.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 14:46   #42
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
12V apparently Tony, it's hidden somewhere further up.
He said it was 12V with the lights on, all past results had been at the battery, so I assumed this was at the battery. Its a big drop, but I wouldn't normally asscoiate it with limited rpms.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 15:36   #43
Ammorack

Quote:
I can see where you're going with that Ash, certainly a possibility. You forgot to mention to disconnect the field wire from the D terminal though while testing to prevent the alternator trying to charge thin air. For a couple of minutes test, it won't be a problem though, or at least shouldn't be.

Amorack - do you have a NOID light for testing injectors? If not, try and get one, they're fairly cheap and may reveal a fault if it takes that route.
I do not have a noid light to check injectors. But I should get one if necessary?

I disconnected lead negative from battery. And tried to fire it. Same problem is still there. And 3k rpm problem.

I then disconnected 12+ to alternator and charging lead and fired it. No difference

The battery solution with another battery didn’t solve it. But I went through some fuses in the engine bay. I have no idea what this fuse is for. I just checked it. I do follow you guys especially instructions. But I traced down a blown fuse where the battery positive side is.

I found out that cable goes to nothing. It’s cut off behind the dashboard. There’s many cables cut right off. No idea why. Same behind the ashtray. Bunch of cables cut off and lies on top of the relays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC3B2FF7-6826-4EB8-803B-75AE88FF999D.jpg (78.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Ammorack; Mar 26th, 2020 at 16:47.
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammorack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 16:54   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
I do not have a noid light to check injectors. But I should get one if necessary?

I disconnected lead negative from battery. And tried to fire it. Same problem is still there. And 3k rpm problem.

I then disconnected 12+ to alternator and charging lead and fired it. No difference

The battery solution with another battery didn’t solve it. But I went through some fuses in the engine bay. I have no idea what this fuse is for. I just checked it. I do follow you guys especially instructions. But I traced down a blown fuse where the battery positive side is.

I found out that cable goes to nothing. It’s cut off behind the dashboard. There’s many cables cut right off. No idea why. Same behind the ashtray. Bunch of cables cut off and lies on top of the relays.
It looks like an aftermarket fuse for something, possibly an interrupter for the main fuel pump so you could be getting fuel starvation - just a wild guess on that though. Renew that fuse and see what happens, if anything.

As for the NOID light, yes, it would be a worthwhile investment. Fit it (to any injector, it's a batch-fire/full group system so all injectors fire at the same time) and start up, observe the light and bring the revs up slowly to 3000rpm and observe again. Now try to increase the revs while watching the NOID light.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 17:12   #45
Ammorack

Quote:
It looks like an aftermarket fuse for something, possibly an interrupter for the main fuel pump so you could be getting fuel starvation - just a wild guess on that though. Renew that fuse and see what happens, if anything.

As for the NOID light, yes, it would be a worthwhile investment. Fit it (to any injector, it's a batch-fire/full group system so all injectors fire at the same time) and start up, observe the light and bring the revs up slowly to 3000rpm and observe again. Now try to increase the revs while watching the NOID light.
If one light or lights are off? Does that mean an injector is bad? and how to diagnose this fault? Could this be electricity problems
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 17:47   #46
Ammorack

Quote:

That lead didn’t do anything though. It’s cut off and loose behind the dashboard
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 20:33   #47
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
If one light or lights are off? Does that mean an injector is bad? and how to diagnose this fault? Could this be electricity problems
I am pretty sure Ash can see where i'm going with this, the simple way of saying it is to get a NOID light and do the test. Report your findings at the various engine speeds i described.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noid-Ligh...I/232393448868

Best price i could find on ebay ^^^^^

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 20:56   #48
Ammorack

Quote:
I am pretty sure Ash can see where i'm going with this, the simple way of saying it is to get a NOID light and do the test. Report your findings at the various engine speeds i described.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noid-Ligh...I/232393448868

Best price i could find on ebay ^^^^^
Thanks goodsir. I bought a noid light kit now.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 21:07   #49
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Dave is playing with a safe pair of hands here.

Just so everyone understands, we have now eliminated the battery and the alternator as the cause of the problem. The symptoms strongly suggest a fuel cut-out problem and that is what Dave is now chasing.

We are starting at one end of the fuel system (the injectors) and will be working backward into the system, step by step.

Its important that we do not guess, and that we follow a logical process. Take time, be precise.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 18:17   #50
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Dave is playing with a safe pair of hands here.

Just so everyone understands, we have now eliminated the battery and the alternator as the cause of the problem. The symptoms strongly suggest a fuel cut-out problem and that is what Dave is now chasing.

We are starting at one end of the fuel system (the injectors) and will be working backward into the system, step by step.

Its important that we do not guess, and that we follow a logical process. Take time, be precise.

Smart solution to work from the injector and fuel system. I have ordered that noid light kit. But In the meantime. What else is there to check? It takes a while for my noid light to arrive. So it can be other components to check for? I removed that random cables with those two fuses on positive terminal.

Tags
electricity, issues