Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem 940

Views : 14779

Replies : 314

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 00:53   #151
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
Sorry if I sound dumb to you guys :/

I have also experienced that the little thing that’s inside the rotor, that slides on the dizzy. Is small on aftermarket parts and big on original parts. I’ll check that dizzy out and I’ll also buy a shirt little 8mm wrench
Not a problem, it's just if one of us asks you to check something it's because we know it's a potential failure point, even on new components.

However, if the dizzy cap is new, are you absolutely certain you didn't mix up the firing order of the HT leads when you fitted it? We have had this scenario before where someone interposed two leads and it gave a rough idle and wouldn't rev properly.

Ash - can you post a pic of the correct layout of the HT leads please?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 04:34   #152
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Happy to oblige. Forgive the lazy lead dress and general untidiness.

Lead order left to right as you look into the engine bay is 4-3-1-2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200404_152941 - Edited.jpg (324.2 KB, 8 views)
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 07:44   #153
Ammorack

Quote:
Not a problem, it's just if one of us asks you to check something it's because we know it's a potential failure point, even on new components.

However, if the dizzy cap is new, are you absolutely certain you didn't mix up the firing order of the HT leads when you fitted it? We have had this scenario before where someone interposed two leads and it gave a rough idle and wouldn't rev properly.

Yes, I’ll post a picture. It’s 4-3-1-2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EADC7D29-5967-4AA9-B8E1-60541910870F.jpg (144.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 4956F914-9C63-4518-90FC-B2AEBF6F2990.jpg (88.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 4th, 2020 at 08:19.
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammorack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 11:14   #154
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Happy to oblige. Forgive the lazy lead dress and general untidiness.

Lead order left to right as you look into the engine bay is 4-3-1-2

Quote:
Yes, I’ll post a picture. It’s 4-3-1-2

Well that's that theory laid to rest then!

Doesn't really leave much now - i assume the air filter isn't blocked, no blockages between air filter and MAF, no blockages between MAF and throttle body and i seem to recall Ash got you to disconnect the exhaust to make sure the exhaust (including the cat) wasn't blocked.
Cam timing has been checked, CTS checked and renewed, Lambda sensor renewed (not that it works when cold anyway), alternator has been checked - all tested ok.

Another silly ignition related thought Ammo - can you check the coil LT connections? Blue should go to + on the coil and red/white should go to -

Please check that is how the connections are and if not make them that way.

If, after checking all you have left to check (no blockages in air filter, hoses from filter to MAF to throttle body, coil connections, carbon brush inside dizzy cap) that leaves me with a conclusion but check those things first.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 18:43   #155
Ammorack

Quote:
Well that's that theory laid to rest then!

Doesn't really leave much now - i assume the air filter isn't blocked, no blockages between air filter and MAF, no blockages between MAF and throttle body and i seem to recall Ash got you to disconnect the exhaust to make sure the exhaust (including the cat) wasn't blocked.
Cam timing has been checked, CTS checked and renewed, Lambda sensor renewed (not that it works when cold anyway), alternator has been checked - all tested ok.

Another silly ignition related thought Ammo - can you check the coil LT connections? Blue should go to + on the coil and red/white should go to -

Please check that is how the connections are and if not make them that way.

If, after checking all you have left to check (no blockages in air filter, hoses from filter to MAF to throttle body, coil connections, carbon brush inside dizzy cap) that leaves me with a conclusion but check those things first.
I have now checked dizzycap, and dizzy spinning thing. Brush? Yeah checked that. No blockage in airfilter, MAF and throttlebody, coil leads are placed correct way. Hoses are fine. So now it’s time for your conclusions

But the adjustment for Throttle, it says 0,15mm feeler gauge between throttle lever and throttle stop screw, a click should be heard. If not. Adjust to specs. I do not hear a click with 0,15mm gauge between. So should I adjust the throttle then?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 76E4D485-B595-4C8F-9D37-778475ACB418.jpeg (69.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 4th, 2020 at 19:51.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 20:32   #156
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Your car should be with the diagnostic box at the engine bay, right?
If so, very easy to check the TPS!
Everything seems TPS related, I didn't read the whole thread till now. Will do later
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 22:28   #157
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have now checked dizzycap, and dizzy spinning thing. Brush? Yeah checked that. No blockage in airfilter, MAF and throttlebody, coil leads are placed correct way. Hoses are fine. So now it’s time for your conclusions

But the adjustment for Throttle, it says 0,15mm feeler gauge between throttle lever and throttle stop screw, a click should be heard. If not. Adjust to specs. I do not hear a click with 0,15mm gauge between. So should I adjust the throttle then?
You could try it and also check the operation with the test box as Kay suggests but i've a funny feeling that after adjusting it, it will show as working correctly.

If so, as we've checked everything else and this is more or less a double-check of the TPS (which we've already done by disconnecting it so it would have revved above 3k if the TPS had been stopping it) that only leave the ECU as being the faulty.

Unless Kay can come up with any other suggestions after reading it, i'm all out of ideas.

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 22:39   #158
Ammorack

Quote:
You could try it and also check the operation with the test box as Kay suggests but i've a funny feeling that after adjusting it, it will show as working correctly.

If so, as we've checked everything else and this is more or less a double-check of the TPS (which we've already done by disconnecting it so it would have revved above 3k if the TPS had been stopping it) that only leave the ECU as being the faulty.

Unless Kay can come up with any other suggestions after reading it, i'm all out of ideas.
This car is so frustratingly strange 🤣
I’ll adjust Throttle to specs later
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 12:50   #159
Ammorack

Quote:

With tps unplugged it’s constant 2000rpm on idle. And revs to 6000rpm. So it’s tps problems right. Didn’t I mention that previously in this thread? If not I’m sorry? I adjusted tps to 0,15mm

Still not much difference in idle performance. Though I have cleaned the throttlebody
Then I can adjust the idle on throttlebody then right?

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 5th, 2020 at 13:04.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 13:24   #160
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
With tps unplugged it’s constant 2000rpm on idle. And revs to 6000rpm. So it’s tps problems right. Didn’t I mention that previously in this thread? If not I’m sorry? I adjusted tps to 0,15mm

Still not much difference in idle performance. Though I have cleaned the throttlebody
Then I can adjust the idle on throttlebody then right?
I wish you'd put these results up when i first asked you to try it without the TPS connected!

It would have saved a lot of head-scratching and an incorrect conclusion (re the ECU) which could have cost you a lot of money to find out was incorrect!

It would also have saved you having to take the dizzy cap off to check the carbon brush!

If you remember, very early in the thread, Ash got upset with you and so did i because we had each asked you to perform checks that you didn't do and didn't report on correctly. I at least thought you had learned to perform the checks, exactly as they were asked and then give the results.

You're lucky that you've put the correct results up and not spent money on a new ECU that wouldn't have been necessary!

Right, back to the TPS, it's obviously way out of adjustment. Can you put up a photo of it so we can check that no numpty has fitted it upside down?

Then i'll explain how to adjust it correctly. DO NOTHING ELSE - JUST TAKE THE PHOTO!!!!!

Tags
electricity, issues