Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel pump relay

Views : 561

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 17:47   #1
griston64
Premier Member

Default Fuel pump relay

Can I test a 940 fuel pump relay with a multimeter ? Sorry if a silly question as although I'm now not bad at wielding the old spanners electrickery ( that's for those of you who remember Catweazle ) is not my strong point

I know I can sit in the car putting spare ones in to see if it starts but that seems a bit of a faff. I now have 5 of them due to breaking cars and buying a spare to keep in glove box. I know 2 work but not sure about the other 3

Cheers
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 17:56   #2
Chooch84
940 Noob

You should be able to, but I can't remember what terminal is what. Might be easier to take the cover off the relay to follow the terminals to test for continuity. Plus you'll also be able to see if you have a dodgy/cold solder joint.

You could always re-flow all of the solder joints to pass time...

16 BMW 330e
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 18:21   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch84 View Post
You should be able to, but I can't remember what terminal is what. Might be easier to take the cover off the relay to follow the terminals to test for continuity. Plus you'll also be able to see if you have a dodgy/cold solder joint.

You could always re-flow all of the solder joints to pass time...
If you were to see my soldering you wouldn't be saying thatIt would certainly pass a lot of time though

I notice some have a date on them. Best before ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 19:46   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

I think the way these work is as follows, but you might want to wait until someone confirms or corrects my understanding. I’m going by the circuit diagram on the side of a non-oem unit.

The white fuel pump relay contains two switching coils and has the following numbered pins.

30 - 12v input from car battery
87-1 - first switched live output (from input on pin 30)
86-1 - to (externally switched) earth from first coil to activate first switched live
87-2 - second switched live output (from input on pin 30)
86-2 - to earth from second coil to activate second switched live
85 - (externally switched) input 12v to activate second switched live

So to test you would attach a 12v power source to pin 30 and an earth to pin 86-2. You would then check for 0v at pins 87-1 and 87-2. Then jumper earth to pin 86-1 and test for 12v on pin 87-1. Then jumper 12v to pin 85 and test for 12v on pin 87-2.

I believe in normal operation 85 receives its switched input from the ignition switch and 86-1 goes to earth via some sensor on the vehicle.

It would be extremely dangerous to try the test I have described using the unregulated output from a car battery. You’d do better to use a current limited 12v power supply.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother. The relays are fairly cheap and I tend to carry a spare.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 20:27   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The best way of testing anything Mark is to use the best test bed available. In this case, the best test bed is the car so your "faff method" is in fact the best as it proves not only the input side but the outputs as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 21:02   #6
BorderVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
It would be extremely dangerous to try the test I have described using the unregulated output from a car battery. You’d do better to use a current limited 12v power supply.
A 9v battery, like the type you'd put in a smoke alarm, should operate the relay for test purposes.
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 22:43   #7
Forrest
VOC Member

So having worked my test plan out from the circuit diagram I have now tried it and it works. I too have got a box of suspect relays. It is quite hard to see the pin numbers on the OEM relays. Get it right and you can hear the switches operating when you complete the circuit.

What I will say about this approach is that it will not tell you whether a relay will prove reliable in service. Of the two I tested, both previously removed and replaced with new, one had one coil inoperative and the other appeared to work properly. However, the one that tested good had previously intermittently failed in the car which was why I replaced it.

So, the Laird’s right but I’d add that you ought to leave the relay in the car fow a few weeks to check it works consistently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3DBAD955-981F-45C5-AC14-13C10CE383E7.jpg (84.3 KB, 8 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 10:25   #8
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Load

You can test the relays like this, but you are not actually load testing them. A dodgy soldering point (quite common on the fuel pump relay and MCC AC relay) will only show if you run a large current through it. A false positive, to stay in Covid-19 testing terms...
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 11:11   #9
TonyS9
Premier Member

The relays can fail internally (invisibly) to the coils as well as cracked solder joints.

You also need to run the normal load from the pump to get the heat up, as cracks often stop conducting at certain temperatures, hence thumping the dash can help.

Last edited by TonyS9; Apr 23rd, 2020 at 11:15.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: