Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024894

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 14:24   #1331
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Errrrr, yeah - me!
My word, that is very impressive!

I change my own bike wheels (and have a bead breaker for that), but I haven't changed a car wheel in 40 years (... and it would have been a very skinny cross-ply in those days).

:-)
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 14:30   #1332
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Alloy wheels are a lot lighter than their steel counterparts Alan, i'll try and get out (without being blown away) later to weigh a steel rim and a corresponding alloy.

The other thing with very wide tyres is that they can "tramline" along ridges in the road easier than narrower tyres and are more susceptible to road camber changes.
It must be the wider tyre that is heavier then. I'll compare the skinny/steel and fat/alloy combinations when I swap them on the Skoda.

I'd certainly agree with wider tyres being more sensitive to surface changes.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 17:34   #1333
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Alloy wheels are a lot lighter than their steel counterparts Alan,

I used to assume that was true, until a few years ago I compared the weights of two bare Volvo wheels - alloy and steel. They were identical.

I had just been thinking "alloy is light". So it is, but the material is at least twice as thick.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 19:09   #1334
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I used to assume that was true, until a few years ago I compared the weights of two bare Volvo wheels - alloy and steel. They were identical.

I had just been thinking "alloy is light". So it is, but the material is at least twice as thick.
Interesting! Can i ask if the alloy and steel wheels were the same rim diameter and width?

While refurbing the 15" Omega wheel pictured above, i went to moveit but picked up a steel 15" Rover rim instead - i was alerted by the extra weight. The Volvo was 15 x 6.5J (width) and the Rover steel wheel was 15 x 6J so the Volvo wheel was (and still is) wider but felt lighter or more to the point, the steel wheel felt a lot heavier when i grabbed it without looking.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 19:58   #1335
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post

I don't know (because I've never weighed either) but I think you may be right. I didn't compare them directly, but the weight of the 225+18" alloy seemed to be at least as much as the 205+16" steel wheel.

When I get the Škoda's alloy wheels back I'll compare them more accurately.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 29th, 2020 at 20:03.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 20:02   #1336
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Interesting! Can i ask if the alloy and steel wheels were the same rim diameter and width?

While refurbing the 15" Omega wheel pictured above, i went to moveit but picked up a steel 15" Rover rim instead - i was alerted by the extra weight. The Volvo was 15 x 6.5J (width) and the Rover steel wheel was 15 x 6J so the Volvo wheel was (and still is) wider but felt lighter or more to the point, the steel wheel felt a lot heavier when i grabbed it without looking.
I don't know Dave. I don't have any bare wheels here, but I will compare the alloy and steel wheels for the Škoda with tyres fitted (which is of course what matters).

Alan
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 06:18   #1337
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Errrrr, yeah - me!

... this is what is missing in my life Dave:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-SEMI-A...AAAOSw9r1WC73W

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 30th, 2020 at 06:20.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 07:05   #1338
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... this is what is missing in my life Dave:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-SEMI-A...AAAOSw9r1WC73W

Alan
Would love one of those Alan but i don't have the space or funds for it!

As you probably noticed, i took a basic manual tyre changer and have added to it to improve it and reduce the effort i need to put in.

Ultimate goal is motorise it so i don't have to swing on the duck-head to remove the tyre. The duck head is the bright shiny thing with a couple of bits of yellow nylon (to prevent scuffs on the alloy) that can be seen on the arm i have welded on to a piece of exhust tubing slipped over the locking collar on the original post.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 07:39   #1339
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Would love one of those Alan but i don't have the space or funds for it!

As you probably noticed, i took a basic manual tyre changer and have added to it to improve it and reduce the effort i need to put in.

Ultimate goal is motorise it so i don't have to swing on the duck-head to remove the tyre. The duck head is the bright shiny thing with a couple of bits of yellow nylon (to prevent scuffs on the alloy) that can be seen on the arm i have welded on to a piece of exhust tubing slipped over the locking collar on the original post.
If I had the space I'd get one of those machines Dave; it would make no financial sense, but wouldn't it be the coolest thing to have one in the garage?

Alan
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 08:06   #1340
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
If I had the space I'd get one of those machines Dave; it would make no financial sense, but wouldn't it be the coolest thing to have one in the garage?

Alan
Yes, and if you learned how to use it to save yourself having to get your tyres fitted at a generic tyre bay, it might eventually make financial sense.

Mine paid for itself the first time i used it, even in its basic "out of the box" form. I bought 4 Falken tyres for £57 each at the time and used the tyre machine to fit them. I can't remember the cost of the machine but it was ~£50 delivered. Therefore total cost for tyres and the machine was ~£280. I had valves and i already had a manual wheel balancer and weights which had previously cost me about £50 total.

The same tyres supplied, fitted and balanced at a generic high street chain of tyre fitters worked out ~£110 each at the cheapest so ~£440 so the worst case scenario was i was already ~£110 in profit (or savings) the first time i used it.

So far, it's worked out about £120 on a cheap set of tyres and about £220 on a "middle of the road" (no pun intended!) set of tyres for the saving. On that basis, it would take you 7 sets of tyres to recoup the cost on cheap tyres or about 3.5 sets on a mid-range set of tyres. Arguably you could extend it to premium tyres and would probably be more like ~£300/set saving.