Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 B230E Cruise Control

Views : 1191

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2020, 12:46   #11
swedish brick

In that original pic, it’s hard to see the kickdown cable! If you look (hard!) at the bolt at the front of the cruise mounting bracket (holds the bracket onto the manifold) you can just see the end of the cable disappearing behind the bracket, just below the bolt, it goes behind/below the cruise bracket then runs down into the transmission tunnel, then if you feel down the cable (you can’t see it once it goes into the tunnel!) it goes into/onto the gearbox.

On the back of my actuator, the electrical plug seems to be missing. I can’t even find it hanging down disconnected? The switch on the stalk is inside the car, the actuator, vac hose and cable are there, but it would appear then that someone’s tried adding cruise to the car but given up part way doing so? Maybe it turned out to be more difficult than it was worth??
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
swedish brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swedish brick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 13:06   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish brick View Post
In that original pic, it’s hard to see the kickdown cable! If you look (hard!) at the bolt at the front of the cruise mounting bracket (holds the bracket onto the manifold) you can just see the end of the cable disappearing behind the bracket, just below the bolt, it goes behind/below the cruise bracket then runs down into the transmission tunnel, then if you feel down the cable (you can’t see it once it goes into the tunnel!) it goes into/onto the gearbox.

On the back of my actuator, the electrical plug seems to be missing. I can’t even find it hanging down disconnected? The switch on the stalk is inside the car, the actuator, vac hose and cable are there, but it would appear then that someone’s tried adding cruise to the car but given up part way doing so? Maybe it turned out to be more difficult than it was worth??
I'll take your word for it that the kickdown cable is visible in the first one, despite enlarging the image and zooming in, i still can't see it but never mind.

Have you checked the cruise switch is actually wired up on the stalk? It has a separate plug with 6 connections in :

If not, i'd guess you are right and it was a project started by someone whose ambition exceeded their skill set or maybe they just couldn't find the right parts to finish it.
If so, i reckon between you and Andrew you can come to an agreement that makes everyone happy.

My stalk switch isn't wired up yet, i'm still running mine on the original aftermarket satellite pod that the system came with. However i will sort it eventually so the aftermarket kit looks factory and works (almost) the same way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 13:18   #13
swedish brick

I’ll have a look at the back of the switch. The one in my car is the older switch to the one in your pic.

I just found this on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...wAAOxy9eVRLTy0

Much of that does look similar to what’s in my car though. But, the vacuum hose is completely different. Mine is a rubber hose about an inch long that joins a T piece into another big rubber hose that runs along the bulkhead. I can’t see any of the electrical bits and bobs though, so I reckon someone had a go then ran out of interest/skill and didn’t fit much of the electrical stuff.

I don’t particularly plan on ever using the cruise though...
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swedish brick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 16:49   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I’ll have a look at the back of the switch. The one in my car is the older switch to the one in your pic.

I just found this on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...wAAOxy9eVRLTy0

Much of that does look similar to what’s in my car though. But, the vacuum hose is completely different. Mine is a rubber hose about an inch long that joins a T piece into another big rubber hose that runs along the bulkhead. I can’t see any of the electrical bits and bobs though, so I reckon someone had a go then ran out of interest/skill and didn’t fit much of the electrical stuff.

I don’t particularly plan on ever using the cruise though...
The switch in your car isn't older necessarily, you have a 740 don't you? Mine is a 760. The actual switch parts are the same inside the column cowl but the stalks are different.

None of that lot on fleabay USA will work for yours, it's all for the B230F/FT, both of which have Bosch LH-Jetronic EFi, not mechanical continuous (Kontinuerlich i think is the German word for continual/continuous, hence "K"-Jetronic for yours) injection.
It would explain why Andrew said he was having trouble finding the K-Jet bits for his!

Probably someone managed to find those bits and fitted them to yours hoping they could find the other bits needed and failed.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 17:15   #15
swedish brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The switch in your car isn't older necessarily, you have a 740 don't you? Mine is a 760. The actual switch parts are the same inside the column cowl but the stalks are different.

None of that lot on fleabay USA will work for yours, it's all for the B230F/FT, both of which have Bosch LH-Jetronic EFi, not mechanical continuous (Kontinuerlich i think is the German word for continual/continuous, hence "K"-Jetronic for yours) injection.
It would explain why Andrew said he was having trouble finding the K-Jet bits for his!

Probably someone managed to find those bits and fitted them to yours hoping they could find the other bits needed and failed.
Yeah, that would make sense. I don’t think there could have been many K-jet cars with the cruise control? It would explain why it’s only half done in mine.
It’s never worked since I’ve had the car, and if the bits are almost non existent now it’s likely never worked.

I’m yet to see it fitted on another K-jet car though??
My old K-jet saloon (also a 740, 1987my) had air con, which I gather isn’t very common on 4 cylinder models either in the U.K.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swedish brick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 17:43   #16
panda529e699

Quote:
Yeah, that would make sense. I don’t think there could have been many K-jet cars with the cruise control? It would explain why it’s only half done in mine.
It’s never worked since I’ve had the car, and if the bits are almost non existent now it’s likely never worked.

My old K-jet saloon (also a 740, 1987my) had air con, which I gather isn’t very common on 4 cylinder models either in the U.K.
That's what the Massachusetts chap was saying as well, he can supply the rest but I would need to supply the bits for the engine, which from this could never happen.
Was thinking about looking at a few Swedish websites.
Theres also the option as suggested of an aftermarket one.
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 18:16   #17
swedish brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
That's what the Massachusetts chap was saying as well, he can supply the rest but I would need to supply the bits for the engine, which from this could never happen.
Was thinking about looking at a few Swedish websites.
Theres also the option as suggested of an aftermarket one.
Hmm, it seems to be a bit of a pain this then!
I’d never have imagined bits for these cars would be so hard to find, but I guess we’re dealing with 30+ year old stuff now and an optional part that seems to have been seldom fitted. There must be very very few left by now.

Well, the engine bay parts from my car are yours if you want them? Not sure how much good they’ll be now though!
Could you do much with them without the rest?
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
The Following User Says Thank You to swedish brick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 18:37   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

If you have a look on the 240 section you might find a few K-Jets fitted with cruise, also looking on fleabay you might find something. Howevr, i don't think it was an option on most 4-poy K-Jet cars. Fairly sure it was fitted to the 264/5 and 760 with the K-Jet B27/28 so that might be another option.

As for A/C, i think it was an option on the 4-pots, most of the 6-pots and standard on some 6-pots.

Old Aug 1st, 2020, 18:49   #19
tofufi
Premier Member

I retrofitted cruise control to my 740 turbodiesel.

The tricky bit on early cars (pre 94) is they don't come pre wired.

Other than that, it's sometimes tough finding the right throttle spindle reel.

The rest of the bits are easy enough to get, and it's a straightforward system really

If you're the sort of person who values cruise control, I'd keep hold of the bits you can find
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 22:09   #20
panda529e699

Quote:
Hmm, it seems to be a bit of a pain this then!
I’d never have imagined bits for these cars would be so hard to find, but I guess we’re dealing with 30+ year old stuff now and an optional part that seems to have been seldom fitted. There must be very very few left by now.

Well, the engine bay parts from my car are yours if you want them? Not sure how much good they’ll be now though!
Could you do much with them without the rest?
Would certainly like to buy the redundant bits from you, whilst not complete it would give me a start.
Will also look on the 240 page Dave suggested and the 760 option for the rest.
Thanks
Andrew
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post: