Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Automatic - Clunking Gearbox?

Views : 2911

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2020, 21:58   #1
Mental Minnie

Default XC60 Automatic - Clunking Gearbox?

Hello! I have a 65 plate XC60 D5 automatic. My husband has said that he’s noticed that when you shift it in to drive, it ‘clunks’ so to speak. Has anyone experienced this? Google seems to suggest a gearbox oil change and/or some sort of software update?

Has anyone experienced the same issue and can advise? Money is right at the moment due to furlough, do I have to take the car to the dealership or can the work be carried out by my normal garage? Anyone know what I could expect to pay? Thank you in advance.
Mental Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 23:47   #2
DT19
Master Member

How many miles has it done?
If it needs a software update it'll need to be done at a Volvo dealership. Chapmans in York or Malton might be your nearest, they might be able to tell you over the phone if the software is up to date. I'm not sure but I think they keep a record of what updates have been done on each car. I had my gearbox oil and filter changed at the York branch and from memory I think it was £200 ish. I think the oil should be changed at 70K miles.
DT19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 00:56   #3
AndyB06

How many miles on the car?

This is a common problem. The car will need to visit Volvo I’m afraid, as it will need the gearbox oil changed, adaptions reset and a special adaption procedure followed. The adaption requires 2hrs and some quiet roads to perform correctly. The process ‘trains’ the software to optimise the oil pump pressure within specific temperature bands, to account for pressure loss due to oil leaking past certain o-ring seals.

So probably 3hrs labour and the cost of oil. I would get a couple of quotes - expect £350-£400.

Last edited by AndyB06; Sep 12th, 2020 at 00:58.
AndyB06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 07:12   #4
Mental Minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT19 View Post
How many miles has it done?
If it needs a software update it'll need to be done at a Volvo dealership. Chapmans in York or Malton might be your nearest, they might be able to tell you over the phone if the software is up to date. I'm not sure but I think they keep a record of what updates have been done on each car. I had my gearbox oil and filter changed at the York branch and from memory I think it was £200 ish. I think the oil should be changed at 70K miles.

It’s done around 38,000 miles
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 09:40   #5
jasmith44
jasmith44

That's not a lot of miles,on my old 07 s60 i changed the oil at 90,000 miles and everything was running great. Which gearbox has your car got? Mine was an Aisin Warner.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:25   #6
Mental Minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith44 View Post
That's not a lot of miles,on my old 07 s60 i changed the oil at 90,000 miles and everything was running great. Which gearbox has your car got? Mine was an Aisin Warner.
I’ve no idea, how do I find out?
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:54   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It's a common problem, a lot of times it can be significantly improved by a software update and fluid change.

I know it may seem a stretch to think that a software update can overcome what sounds and feels like a mechanical problem but i can say from personal experience it does make a difference.

I had mine done at Voltech Motors in Hull - cost £280.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 19:21   #8
Toprivetguns

Do the gears smoothly change up and down out of interest?
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toprivetguns For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 19:40   #9
AndyB06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Minnie View Post
I’ve no idea, how do I find out?
You have the Aisin Warner TF80sc AWD version. If you regularly drive in traffic, then the harsh shift into D can become evident at relatively low mileage, ie 38k.

As I mentioned earlier, the car needs to go into Volvo for the adaption process designed for this problem.
AndyB06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 20:40   #10
Mental Minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB06 View Post
You have the Aisin Warner TF80sc AWD version. If you regularly drive in traffic, then the harsh shift into D can become evident at relatively low mileage, ie 38k.

As I mentioned earlier, the car needs to go into Volvo for the adaption process designed for this problem.
Thanks for the info. I popped in to my local dealership this morning as we were on the estate, the guy told me he had no idea whether there was an update available, the car would need to go in and be plugged to check. Does this sound about right? £120+VAT per hour for the pleasure as well