Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960/V90 ABS Sensor

Views : 951

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:24   #1
taiwan740

Default 960/V90 ABS Sensor

Hi

My 960 wheel chewed through its ABS sensor cable. According to Skandix, the part number for that particular model is 9127410, and they price it at 220 EUR + VAT and shipping which is more than I want to pay.

ebay has Volvo Genuine items of around the same value but an Intermotor one with that part number as a reference but the list says my car won't fit it. It's 20 quid, the picture looks the same. I think I may go for it anyway.

Specifically the list says "without bracket" - duno what bracket its referring to so i'm assuming its all good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intermoto...y/174191405164

Anyone else been down this particular rabbit hole lately? Are the speed sensors handed/chiral?

Car: 1995 Volvo 960 Mk2 2922cc B6304?S

cheers

Last edited by taiwan740; Sep 12th, 2020 at 17:28.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:45   #2
Ian21401
Premier Member

Is it possible to determine whether the sensor is still good by testing it’s resistance?
If it’s good, is it possible to repair the wiring?
If it does need replacing, is it Bosch and can you find the part number.?
I had an ABS fault showing. Traced the faulty sensor by checking the resistances of each of the front ones. (the rear one is in the diff. sharing the speedo. signal sender. ) Managed to find the Bosch part number and ordered one from my local Bosch agent.
The hardest part was removing the dead one.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:55   #3
taiwan740

Looks like bosch 0265001380 - google doesn't return any trustworthy suppliers in my 5 seconds of looking.

I traced it using the flashy OBD1 thing that said no signal on right wheel and then having a look and seeing a completely chewed cable. It's got two wires with I assume the ground wrapped around it, could be repairable, doubtful by me though. Although if it saves me 250 quid i'll give it a go, as long as that Intermotor is definitely a no-go.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 18:24   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

That’s a different part number to mine. Mine was 0265001231 and cost £55.00. I cannot remember how many wires. I simply unplugged the dead one from the harness and plugged in the new one. Do you know anyone who can measure the resistance for you and possibly splice the wiring?
Those prices I saw on google are seem ridiculous. Admittedly mine was 5 years ago but........
The Bosch HQ appears to be in MK. Why not try ringing them for a details of a nearby agent? You never know your luck.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Sep 12th, 2020 at 18:47. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 18:54   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Senso...0/303685538361

That should do the job but double check the listing, just in case.

If you can repair the wiring on the old one that should also work. Easiest method of removing the old one is to remove the wheel, remove the hub (be careful with the bearings), remove the bolt holding the sensor in and use a parallel punch #8mm diameter to drift it out. A few good clouts with a lump hammer should have it free, don't "tickle" it with a small hammer, you're likely to deform the casing making it a dockyard job to remove it.

Smear some silicone grease on the body of the new one (not the tip), if you can wrap a piece of sandpaper/emery cloth or similar round an old bolt or something, put it in your drill and use that to polish the inside of the sensor hole before fitting, will make life easier.

Finally clear the fault codes within the ABS ECU before road testing.

PS - nearly forgot, the Intermotor one should be fine as well!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 20:19   #6
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default ABS sensor replaced

hi if you go into my posts here i replaced mine few weeks ago now
my car is 940 year 1995 so be surprised if its any different ABS sensor
about £20 off ebay LEXMARK brand so cheap fix for me
if you get one just plug it in for starters and your ABS light should go off
if so you know thats the problem . SUPPORT CAR WITH AXEL STANDS!!
so then remove wheel . brake calliper .support it hang it fron suspension strut make sure its safe and cant fall .
remove brake disc. i also removed wheel bearing and brake dust shield the wheel bearing nut is tight and takes some shifting 36mm nut
then sensor is exposed mine i had to drill it out with a series of small holes its only plastic and light metal casing . it will be just a pile of bits as been in 25 years
o first theres a small hex bolt on the other side spry with penetrating oil/plus gas day before so its breaks down the rust .
just take your time its a job worth doing
theres a rough video on You tube too will give you confidence
keep us informed of progress !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 20:30   #7
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default ABS sensor replaced

hi
when the bore hole is all cleaned out watch out that the thin metal casing is gone too you will know as the new sensor will not fit into the hole its about 20 mm diameter so smear a layer of silicone grease or the likes around the hole to slow down the señor sizing into the hole
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 21:14   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi if you go into my posts here i replaced mine few weeks ago now
my car is 940 year 1995 so be surprised if its any different ABS sensor
about £20 off ebay LEXMARK brand so cheap fix for me
if you get one just plug it in for starters and your ABS light should go off
if so you know thats the problem . SUPPORT CAR WITH AXEL STANDS!!
so then remove wheel . brake calliper .support it hang it fron suspension strut make sure its safe and cant fall .
remove brake disc. i also removed wheel bearing and brake dust shield the wheel bearing nut is tight and takes some shifting 36mm nut
then sensor is exposed mine i had to drill it out with a series of small holes its only plastic and light metal casing . it will be just a pile of bits as been in 25 years
o first theres a small hex bolt on the other side spry with penetrating oil/plus gas day before so its breaks down the rust .
just take your time its a job worth doing
theres a rough video on You tube too will give you confidence
keep us informed of progress !
Great write up JIm - just for the sake of clarity the brand is Lemark (no "x" in it), part of the Standard Motor Products Group who also own Intermotor and several others.

https://www.smpe.co.uk/intermotor.asp#

If you mouse over the "Catalogues" bit top right, it shows all the different brands in the UK and in the USA there are some more as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 21:21   #9
taiwan740

I looked at this a bit more closely. So the tyre is rubbing on the strut at full lock, there is visible wear on the sidewall and the ABS sensor cable got eaten in between the two.

I was lucky that the flexi-hose wasn't chewed otherwise it could have been much more serious.

The car has the standard 16-inch Uranus wheels and isn't modified in any way, so I'm wondering how this happened.

Anyone experienced this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 21:52   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
I looked at this a bit more closely. So the tyre is rubbing on the strut at full lock, there is visible wear on the sidewall and the ABS sensor cable got eaten in between the two.

I was lucky that the flexi-hose wasn't chewed otherwise it could have been much more serious.

The car has the standard 16-inch Uranus wheels and isn't modified in any way, so I'm wondering how this happened.

Anyone experienced this?
I suspect you need the original 25ET offset wheels instead of the 45ET wheels as fitted to the later Mk2 960s in that gase.

What size tyres are you running, 2055/55/16?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: